Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #3141
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting interview with Mulcair. He seems to be trying to play both sides of the field. On one hand, he says his main goal is to get rid of Harper even if it means forming a coalition with the Liberals. When pressed on why his campaign has been mostly against the Liberals, he says that the Liberals are no different than Harper.

Honestly, how can he be surprised at this point that Justin Trudeau wants nothing to do with him? He has been trying to take them down the whole campaign.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/...cair-1.3262833

Quote:
TOM MULCAIR: Well don't forget I was with Jack Layton. I was already there in the House of Commons and I helped write that coalition agreement. The Liberals signed it with us. Then they turned up their noses on their own signature. And guess what? Seven years later we're still stuck with Stephen Harper. So my job between now and October 19th is to continue talking to Canadians about the type of positive change that the NDP can bring in. Explain that if, as we see in the same polls that 70 per cent of Canadians do want change in Ottawa, the NDP offers a change.

CO: Okay, but what do you have in common with with Mr. Trudeau that could help you form a coalition?

TM: Every time I've opened the door to that, and I have as recently as this summer opened up the door to working with the Liberals, Justin Trudeau takes it upon himself to personally slam that door shut. So what I've got to do between now and October 19th is get as many NDP MPs elected as I can, to form a strong, stable majority NDP government. That's my job.

CO: Okay, you opened the door in the summer? How many other times?

TM: Four other times, most recently was July.

CO: And what was the reaction from the Liberals?

TM: Mr. Trudeau slammed the door on it as he has several times in the past. He's gone as far as to say that he could eventually work with the NDP as long as I wasn't there. That's their track record. Our track record is always being open to working with others and that's why Canadians know that they can trust an NDP government to do the right thing which is to get rid of Stephen Harper. That's my priority.

CO: But if your priorities are to get rid of Stephen Harper, why is your campaign against Justin Trudeau? Even your most recent ads are, again, attack ads on Justin Trudeau.

TM: My adversary is Stephen Harper. He's the person I have to defeat and replace. But it is also fair for Canadians to be reminded that when push comes to the shove, Justin Trudeau votes with with Stephen Harper. He voted with Stephen Harper on C-51. He's of one mind with Stephen Harper on the Keystone XL. pipeline. They both agree on the Trans-Pacific Partnership. Only the NDP has the courage to say that Canada's richest corporations, the banks, the oil companies, should start paying their fair share of taxes. Mr. Trudeau would never do that so that's an objective thing Carol the Canadians are allowed to know about. There's nothing personal in that reference.
That last statement might actually help Trudeau by convincing some more centrist CPC supporters to give the Liberals a shot.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-09-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #3142
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
How do you people feel about expats voting from abroad? If you no longer live in Canada, should you still be able to vote?
No. I don't think you should.

But that's a purely common sense analysis. I understand there's legal language that's supposed to be objective and fair to "guarantee" that right, but I just don't agree with that particular part of it.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #3143
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just found out this election is not about Harper
Old 10-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #3144
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Oil is going up, CAD is going up, Harper is promising 4 years of surpluses, wow everything is just perfect! Who needs change anymore?
Old 10-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #3145
comrade
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
How do you people feel about expats voting from abroad? If you no longer live in Canada, should you still be able to vote?
As long as you're legal age and not currently in prison, you should be able to vote.

On a side note, I think the voting age could be lowered.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #3146
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The job numbers are out, and I thought that I would throw this out there before credit for the increase of 12 000 jobs is taken and shown as something that it is not.
Quote:
Note, too, that the net figure of 12,000 masks the fact that 62,000 full-time jobs were lost, eclipsed by the rise of 74,000 part-time positions. Yet again, those hefty numbers have raised questions about the Statistics Canada survey.

“Probably the single truest measure in this report is the slow upward grind in the unemployment rate - with the economy only managing to grow about 1 per cent in real terms over the past year, it’s no shock that the jobless rate is nudging higher (sprinting higher, in the case of hard-hit Alberta,” said BMO chief economist Douglas Porter.

Alberta’s jobless rate, for the record, now stands at 6.5 per cent, up from 6 per cent in August.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle26717854/

Just to be clear, that is over 20 000 new jobless people in Alberta just in the month of September, not including movement to part time positions. The reason for my putting this here, is that is too close to the election for us not to see spin on this somewhere, and this gives a clearer understanding of what a 12 000 person increase in jobs across Canada actually means.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #3147
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Interesting interview with Mulcair. He seems to be trying to play both sides of the field. On one hand, he says his main goal is to get rid of Harper even if it means forming a coalition with the Liberals. When pressed on why his campaign has been mostly against the Liberals, he says that the Liberals are no different than Harper.

Honestly, how can he be surprised at this point that Justin Trudeau wants nothing to do with him? He has been trying to take them down the whole campaign.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/...cair-1.3262833

That last statement might actually help Trudeau by convincing some more centrist CPC supporters to give the Liberals a shot.
What a dope. Did he honestly expect Trudeau to come out openly in favour of a coalition and torpedo his chances in Ontario? Not to mention the fact that Mulcair has spent most of the year attacking Trudeau as much as he's attack Harper.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #3148
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
What a dope. Did he honestly expect Trudeau to come out openly in favour of a coalition and torpedo his chances in Ontario? Not to mention the fact that Mulcair has spent most of the year attacking Trudeau as much as he's attack Harper.
During the first round of debates, May brought up the idea of a coalition with Mulcair a few times, and the cold shoulder he gave her was so painfully obvious I was surprised she even bothered to ask a second time.

So this is kinda/sorta delicious.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #3149
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just got back from early voting.

I've never seen this much activity for early voting in my life for an election. There were multiple lineups and a huge line right outside the place that wrapped around the building. There was zero parking, with cars lined up off the main street trying to get into the parking lot. Nuts.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #3150
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Citizenship Department leaks to media probed by RCMP

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...rcmp-1.3264945

Quote:
The RCMP have been called in to investigate leaks of "sensitive" information from Citizenship and Immigration Canada, CBC News has learned.

This week, Citizenship and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander confirmed a report published in the Globe and Mail that the Prime Minister's Office directed officials to stop processing a preliminary group of Syrian refugees, pending an audit of their cases.

"We are deeply concerned however by recent instances where sensitive information has been leaked to journalists," reads the memo. "Leaks such as these are unethical and are against the law. As such, we have contacted the Royal Canadian Mounted Police who have now launched an investigation. The trust that the public, our partners and elected officials have in us is the cornerstone of our democratic functions."

The memo to staff warns that such leaks erode trust and confidence in the public service and among colleagues.

"Any individual found to be involved in such violations will face serious consequences," it concludes.
Man that's rich...

Last edited by Looch City; 10-09-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #3151
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Leaks about our incompetence and shadiness erode trust and confidence."

No s***.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #3152
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Liberals take the lead and the Jays start losing. Coincidence or not?

The Following User Says Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #3153
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Stephen Harper is from Toronto. Toronto is a total loser sports city. Coincidence or not?
Old 10-09-2015, 05:36 PM   #3154
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Stephen Harper is from Toronto. Toronto is a total loser sports city. Coincidence or not?
Old 10-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #3155
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Old 10-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #3156
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Thanks. To elaborate, I was thinking of something that standardizes the issues and summarizes the party's stance.
The Herald usually does a pretty good job of summarizing the main party positions side-by-side the day before election day.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:49 PM   #3157
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
As long as you are actively submitting your tax paper work to Canada annually it would make sense that you are able to vote for the executive.

But we have no system that allows that. It's entire based on district by district representation, and our reps. have the right to appoint an executive.

So in short it makes no sense for you to have access to a vote unless you complete re-design political frame work of Commonwealth countries, even though there is nothing fundamentally wrong with you deserving a vote on who the leaders of our country should be.

And I just don't think the is the biggest structural problem of our political system.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:33 AM   #3158
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

looks like The Big Guns of Canadian society are out to rock the vote.

NSFW:

- Surferguy
Old 10-10-2015, 11:05 AM   #3159
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
I'm sure this has been posted/asked before but I'm hoping not to have to go through 157 pages. Can someone please point me in the right direction as to the best resource for the various party platforms?
Pick up today's National Post. They gave a nice summary in the main section.

The other articles in today's edition focus a little more heavily on economic platforms so if the economy's your thing it's a good read. Disclaimer: That means it has a pro-Harper feel since that's his strength.

The art on the front page is pretty cool too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #3160
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Disclaimer: That means it has a pro-Harper feel since that's his strength.
*Citation needed.
Closed Thread