Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #1881
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Why would they tell us anything about something that isn't even officially announced?
Because they probably have a hardware upgrade policy?

Found it on google:

If you are an existing Rogers/Fido customer and are going to be less than two years into your contract by the time you want a [COLOR=#FF0000 ! important][COLOR=#FF0000 ! important]hardware [COLOR=#FF0000 ! important]upgrade[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], then a few things happen here.
According to the new upgrade policy (March 17 2009 and onward), if you currently have a Smartphone (iPhone, Blackberry, etc) registered on your account, even if you did not buy it from Rogers/Fido but it is registered on your account, then you will NOT be able to upgrade to another Smartphone (iPhone 3GS) until you have reached the 24 month (2 year) mark in your contract since your last upgrade/activation.
At that time, 2 years in, your pricing will look like this (prices assume 3 year voice/data plan):
  • 16GB iPhone 3GS in Black or White – $199 or less ($699 outright)
  • 32GB iPhone 3GS in Black or White – $299 or less ($799 outright)
  • 8GB iPhone 3G in Black – $99 or less ($599 outright)
  • 16GB iPhone 3G in Black or White – $149 or less ($649 outright)
In other words, everyone that got the iPhone 3G on July 11, 2008, your next Smartphone upgrade will be available July 11, 2010, according to this upgrade policy.
However, do understand that when Rogers/Fido say you are “eligible” to upgrade, upgrading to a new smartphone (iPhone 3GS) may not actually be the case. You may be “eligible” to upgrade, but you may be only eligible for a non-smartphone, for example.
Also, Fido customers may use their FidoDollars towards an upgrade.

** Note that the hardware upgrade 3GS prices from this post were the same as the new customer prices at the time.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #1882
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

We all knew that last year. It is nothing new....
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #1883
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

So, my question (which may be in here somewhere) is about my new Bell iPhone, but I'm hoping the software is similar.

When text messaging somebody, is there a way for it to start a new conversation thread? I pretty much only text 1 person, so it would be nice to be able to organize the conversations a bit; like you would with email.

I did try sending a "new" text message this morning, but it just added to the existing thread from yesterday.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #1884
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Think you are out of luck Ken. Seems like it's always one big conversation. There might be an SMS app in Cydia if you jailbreak your phone, that you can do that with. Not sure, I've never looked for one after jalibreaking my iPhone.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OilKiller For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #1885
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know Textplus is an app that gives users unlimited texts. I've never used it, but give it a look it might help you with what you are looking for. (no need to jailbreak then)

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Temporary_User For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #1886
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if anyone is having this odd problem with the iPhone. It only happens when I use the iPhone to access calgarypuck. I go to touch the screen to make my selection of a forum or whatever and I get some other forum. Sometimes the selections on the screen move on me and the forum I want isn't what I get. For example, I go to touch the Off Topic forum and I get Buy and Sell. Or I touch one thread for reading and get some other thread because it seems to miss-sense where my finger is touching. I use the iPhone for other forums I use and it only happens here. Anyone else?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #1887
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It could be because the forum hasn't finished loading yet, and when you tap and when it registers the tap things have moved.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #1888
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Meant to ask this earlier. I've noticed the last few days, all I get is an E for the network on my iPhone with Rogers. Anyone else having this issue? I haven't seen '3G' for a few days. Something wrong with my phone?

Edit: nm, I found it. My own mistake. I had turned off 3G in SBSettings...oops.

Last edited by OilKiller; 06-02-2010 at 01:33 PM.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #1889
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
It could be because the forum hasn't finished loading yet, and when you tap and when it registers the tap things have moved.
Yup same thing happens to me. The page is 95% loaded and I go to click on a forum and the sidebar ads load which shifts everything and my click is now on something else. Happens on the iPad too. Dang ads.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #1890
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It's because the ads are on the right side, the sequence of loading seems to make it so the tables load then when the right column gets populated or something it grows and everything else has to shift. Not just the ads tho, all that stuff over there.

As for only getting E for EDGE, check your settings and see if you disabled 3G.

If not, just reset the network configuration.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #1891
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
We all knew that last year. It is nothing new....
Uh yeah, I didn't claim it was new...

Why not just post "You can upgrade for new customer price after 2 years" then, if you already knew? Or even just don't post at all?

Old 06-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #1892
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

So here's a new one: today I broke my headphones off inside the headphone jack. I was walking off the train, my cord caught on the door, the cord pulled out of the iphone but the end broke in half and remained inside. I found a thing online that says some people have had luck using a drill bit. Anybody have any advice?
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #1893
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

magnetic drill bit?
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #1894
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm starting to think the drill bit would have worked had I not accidentally dug the thing even deeper trying to dig it out. I'm now thinking the best way to do it would be to open up the phone itself. I've looked at some youtube videos ... doesn't seem too bad. Voids the warranty, but that's up next month anyway and I do more serious repairs through iphix.ca.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #1895
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Fido is letting 3-year smartphone contracts extend and upgrade hardware with 14 months or less left in the contract. Fido dollars usable with data plans.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #1896
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned but Fido is letting 3-year smartphone contracts extend and upgrade hardware with 14 months or less left in the contract. Fido dollars usable with data plans.
I have 14 months left so I would have to use my Fido dollars, pay $199 and sign up for another 2 years?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #1897
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I have 14 months left so I would have to use my Fido dollars, pay $199 and sign up for another 2 years?
Hmm... I'm not sure if you'd have to extend by 3 years or have 3 years remaining after upgrading...

Old 06-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #1898
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

A call to Fido might be in order. I would love to get a 3Gs, my 3G has really gone downhill lately.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #1899
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I'm starting to think the drill bit would have worked had I not accidentally dug the thing even deeper trying to dig it out. I'm now thinking the best way to do it would be to open up the phone itself. I've looked at some youtube videos ... doesn't seem too bad. Voids the warranty, but that's up next month anyway and I do more serious repairs through iphix.ca.
There are ez-outs and reverse taps for extracting broken off screws but I don't think I would recommend this as this might damage the jack further.

A magnet won't work well either because the material that the jack is made out of is probably brass or aluminum.

A very tiny drill bit would work if you managed to drill carefully into the core of the jack but keep part of the outer shealth on. Then pull out. You'll need a good precsision drill though.

If your warranty expires in a month, just open it up.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #1900
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
A call to Fido might be in order. I would love to get a 3Gs, my 3G has really gone downhill lately.
Why would you get a 3gs when the new phones will be announced on Monday?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote