Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #301
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I still don't understand why the city limits taxi licences. There shouldn't be a limit to how many licenses they put out. Do they regulate how many restaurant licences or pub licences they put out? I highly doubt it. So why is the city so protective of taxi companies? That's the issue that rubs me the wrong way with city hall's position in all of this.
Taxi companies probably donate more to the politicians. The civil politics process is easy to corrupt. I don't believe there are any campaign donation limits and if the candidate doesn't spend it all they get to keep in in their bank accounts. Pretty sleezy.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #302
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
People care about the drivers because in most cases they are new Canadians struggling to make ends meet, and take care of their families.
Why should I give a crap about that? Being an immigrant is zero excuse for providing garbage service when someone else can do it better and cheaper. If anything, the cab industry should be taking this as a wake up call to completely dismantle and rebuild their business model. And maybe part of that would be creating working conditions and a stigma that attract people that aren't just doing the job out of utter desperation.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #303
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I still don't understand why the city limits taxi licences. There shouldn't be a limit to how many licenses they put out. Do they regulate how many restaurant licences or pub licences they put out? I highly doubt it. So why is the city so protective of taxi companies? That's the issue that rubs me the wrong way with city hall's position in all of this.
It was felt that in order to maintain a standard of quality, you had to ensure that cab drivers could earn a decent full-time living. And to ensure cab drivers could earn a decent, full-time living, you needed to limit the number of licenses.

The problem is that demand for cabs varies dramatically by day and time of day. There's probably 8x greater demand for cabs at 1:00 am on a Saturday night than there is at 2 pm on a Wednesday afternoon. And demand spikes seasonally during the Christmas season. So a fixed number of full-time cab drivers doesn't really make any sense, especially in a young, fairly affluent city like Calgary where people go out a lot. The city tried to tweak the licensing system to increase the number of part-time licenses, but it was too little, too late.

I honestly don't think it's corruption. Rather, we had an outdated and inflexible system and the people who could change it didn't have the imagination or boldness to evolve. They overestimated the difficulty in sorting out the matter of existing licensing, and vastly underestimated the groundswell of public rage over the issue. Now it's out of their hands.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 10-16-2015 at 01:43 PM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #304
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Why should I give a crap about that? Being an immigrant is zero excuse for providing garbage service when someone else can do it better and cheaper. If anything, the cab industry should be taking this as a wake up call to completely dismantle and rebuild their business model. And maybe part of that would be creating working conditions and a stigma that attract people that aren't just doing the job out of utter desperation.
Just because I want new immigrants to do well does not mean I want to be in a car with someone who doesn't know how to drive, does not not know how to get where I want to go, cannot communicate with and has BO. Not to mention, most of whom I do not trust enough to have Mrs. Impaler take a cab by herself.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #305
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Just because I want new immigrants to do well does not mean I want to be in a car with someone who doesn't know how to drive, does not not know how to get where I want to go, cannot communicate with and has BO. Not to mention, most of whom I do not trust enough to have Mrs. Impaler take a cab by herself.
Why wouldn't you trust your wife taking a cab? Don't trust your wife or the cab driver? Has there been any charges or complaints brought upon taxi drivers in Calgary for sexual harassment or otherwise that you know about or are you just being ignorant?

The BO I agree with, though.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #306
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Has there been any charges or complaints brought upon taxi drivers in Calgary for sexual harassment or otherwise that you know about or are you just being ignorant?
I thought there was another case more recent than this- I could be wrong.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1806965/ca...exual-assault/
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #307
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
The taxi companies have a lot of pull in city hall, that's why.
How do they have pull? I've heard this numerous times and I don't understand how an industry like this could have any pull?
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #308
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
How do they have pull? I've heard this numerous times and I don't understand how an industry like this could have any pull?
Thats whats so insane about it!

They shouldnt, but they very clearly do.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #309
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats whats so insane about it!

They shouldnt, but they very clearly do.

Perhaps it is all the late night cab rides for the drunken Nenshi-ites the basement of Chicken on The Way to Silly Hall.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:37 PM   #310
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Go look up the campaign donors list for the candidates in municipal elections. It's a lot of home builders, developers, and the cab companies.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #311
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

I find it a bit crazy that people are in here blaming Nenshi for the insurance problem that Uber has. Limiting the taxi licenses, ok, the City is fair game on that.

But AFAIK insurance is provincially regulated not municipally. It's not Nenshi's jurisdiction to just "change insurance regulation" in order to help Uber operate legally in the province.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #312
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
I find it a bit crazy that people are in here blaming Nenshi for the insurance problem that Uber has. Limiting the taxi licenses, ok, the city is fair game on that.

But AFAIK insurance is provincially regulated not municipally. It's not Nenshi's jurisdiction to just "change insurance regulation".
Does the City not hold the Livery licenses and thud set the required insurance standards?

I'm honestly asking, I thought every city was in charge of their own requirements.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #313
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Does the City not hold the Livery licenses and thud set the required insurance standards?

I'm honestly asking, I thought every city was in charge of their own requirements.
Even if Calgary allows personal insurance to be used for driving for hire, you'll still need the insurance companies to agree to pay out for claims.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #314
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Go look up the campaign donors list for the candidates in municipal elections. It's a lot of home builders, developers, and the cab companies.
This is one thing that I was thinking of. The issue of not allowing a competitor to the taxi commission really reminds me of the secondary suite issue. Both items are before counsel and have been for a couple years now. They keep saying they are making progress and talking about it a lot but really nothing ever changes.
Now if you look at two groups of companies who donate a lot of money to the mayor\counsel it is the same ones that get the most out of these issues not passing. It is more or less known that the home builders have some of counsel in their pockets and now it is really looking more and more like the taxi commission is the same.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #315
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I'm sure there must be an insurance broker or two floating around here who could help us. I quickly Googled and found this:

http://www.ibc.ca/ab/auto/auto-insurance

It's all referring to "Alberta" and "Alberta requirements". It doesn't allude to any specific differences between jurisdictions, like edmonton having different insurance requirements or insurance availability than any other locations in the province. If that makes sense.

I could do more regulatory digging for you but I'm on maternity leave and... that's too close to my *real* work for me to be bothered.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:01 PM   #316
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think everyone would be on the cities side if they ended the cartel on the dispatch systems and ended the cartel of licences.

It doesn't have to be uber. It doesn't have to be ride share. There just needs to be a sufficient number of vehicles. This is where the city has failed. Independent of uber the city has not solved the problem and denies there is a problem.

It shouldn't take a private company breaking the law to enact change to something that is clearly broken. The city has failed to serve its citizens in regards to the taxi industry. Whether or not uber has proper insurance is a red herring to the real issue of why hasn't the cab cartel been broken.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:07 PM   #317
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 05:27 PM   #318
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Even if Calgary allows personal insurance to be used for driving for hire, you'll still need the insurance companies to agree to pay out for claims.
Intact is already working with Uber to get everything approved. Unfortunately it lies in the hands of the government to approve the sale of this insurance to the consumer.

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2015/10/14/In...s-covered.aspx
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #319
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The problem is that demand for cabs varies dramatically by day and time of day. There's probably 8x greater demand for cabs at 1:00 am on a Saturday night than there is at 2 pm on a Wednesday afternoon.
Yet amazingly, there's still a lineup of a hundred taxis at the airport at 1am on a Saturday.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:49 PM   #320
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Are the drivers classified as employees of Uber or are they independent contractors?

If they are contractors how many don't pay tax on the income?
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote