Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 04-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
JazzyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Saudi man sentence to paralysis as retribution for stabbing his friend

Woah,

I am truly shocked that such primitive behaviour can exist. In a world thats evolving we are moving away from "punishments" such as death penalty or jailing for the sake of jailing.

In this case two-paralized people serve no purpose or function.

Quote:
The Saudi government is sentencing a 24-year-old man to paralysis as retribution for stabbing his friend when the two were teens.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/04...over-stabbing/
JazzyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am going to comment as if this punishment was given to an adult - and for the sake of not getting off track I am going to assume the accused is actually guilty as would be found in a Canadian court of law (dont want to get derailed by the jurisdiction - just want to comment on the punishment vis a vi the crime).

I would love this type of punishment over here for all sorts of crime.

rape = castration
child molestation = castration and gen pop
murder = paralysis

A punishment where the person who commited the act has to actually live with a physical reminder of their act - I love the idea.

Why waste tax payer money in prisons for certain types of people, they dont deserve it.

I love how Amnesty Intl pipes up and comments on the sentence, and stays silent on the crime "Amnesty International is outraged by the sentence: ”Paralyzing someone as punishment for a crime would be torture,"
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mykalberta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This actually seems worse than a death sentence to me.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AR_Six For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
I am going to comment as if this punishment was given to an adult - and for the sake of not getting off track I am going to assume the accused is actually guilty as would be found in a Canadian court of law (dont want to get derailed by the jurisdiction - just want to comment on the punishment vis a vi the crime).

rape = castration
murder = death

A punishment where the person who commited the act has to actually live with a physical reminder of their act - I love the idea.

Why waste tax payer money in prisons for certain types of people, they dont deserve it.

I love how Amnesty Intl pipes up and comments on the sentence, and stays silent on the crime "Amnesty International is outraged by the sentence: ”Paralyzing someone as punishment for a crime would be torture,"

Fixed your post.

I assume you agree with the death penalty.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

He was a 14 year-old boy when he stabbed his friend, paralyzing him. A minor.

I'd have to go with the "primitive savages" viewpoint.

On a more positive front, the Saudi government has recently decided to allow women to ride bicycles, as long as it is for recreation and generally out of sight, nowhere near men and so long as they are covered appropriately.

This is indeed progress.

Cowperson
Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
JazzyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The death penalty by definition is savage, this is beyond grotesque. Call me a tree loving hippy but I see no use of this sort of punishment.
JazzyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

rape = castration
murder = paralysis

And just who is going to pay for the surgery/care of the people you are castrating and paralyzing? I assume there would be extra costs of someone who is paralyzed, such as wheelchairs and medical care issues that are caused because of the paralysis.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
And just who is going to pay for the surgery/care of the people you are castrating and paralyzing? I assume there would be extra costs of someone who is paralyzed, such as wheelchairs and medical care issues that are caused because of the paralysis.
Based on the tone of his initial post I'd imagine he'd advocate that the 'sentence' be carried out by a rusty blade in an alley somewhere and the 'inmates' be left to their own devices to deal with the fall out.

What a wonderful place to live that would be.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Not walking is pricey; for myself and the government.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I have to assume your post is trolling. This would cost a ridiculous amount to implement. Give the surgeons lots of work, I suppose.

Really, the cheapest way to deal with this would be to sentence offenders to exile, take them out well out to sea and drop them in an inflatable rowboat. Cost: 1 rowboat, additional funding for coast guard patrols.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still like the idea of making a prison island. Build a huge complex on an island that prisoners cannot escape and throw all of them in there from North America. Let em run their own ####! :P
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I still like the idea of making a prison island. Build a huge complex on an island that prisoners cannot escape and throw all of them in there from North America. Let em run their own ####! :P

Spoiler!

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It would make for a great reality television show
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

rape = castration
murder = paralysis
I read that as Genital Popping.....sounds about right
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #16
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:

rape = castration
murder = paralysis

Must be tough being born in the wrong millenium
Old 04-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #17
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

rape = castration
murder = paralysis

How would this make society better?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #18
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, this is over the top justice and I would vote for barbaric as well. This is what religious based law brings you where its an eye for an eye mentality.

Intentionally paralyzing a person or hacking off limbs is not restorative justice.

And I will state that physical torture as much as we fantasize about it doesn't really do much in terms of justice its more about perceived balancing of the scales.

I will state that in terms of sex crimes like Rape and Child Molestation, I really wouldn't be apposed to the return of the lash, I know its wrong, but in my mind those are truly unjustifiable repugnant crimes that go far beyond ordinary crimes.

In exchange for no lash though, I do think that Child Molesters should really never get out of jail especially repeat offenders because they truly represent a dire threat to public safety. I do think the same with other sex criminals.

I do advocate the bringing back of hard labor no luxuries sentencing. I believe that if you do that you can actually shorten sentences.

But paralyzing people, this hawk has a lot of problems with that.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #19
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
Not walking is pricey; for myself and the government.
I think in Suadi you are on your own, he will no doubt be propped up outside a mosque and will have to beg for a living.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #20
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Killing is wrong so let's kill them.
The Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Ditch For This Useful Post: