Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2016, 11:41 PM   #1
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Sex is bad

Ok so just wanted to get people's opinion on sex in this day and age. I can't speak to the 80's because I grew up in the 90's but it seems as if there is a shift happening where sex is becoming taboo and there is so much slut shaming happening especially with the introduction of the Internet that men and especially women are much more cautious when it comes to sex.

When I was growing up it seemed as if there was a shift happening to more freedom and less shame regarding sex then it seemed to take a shift away from that. This is simply my experience and I understand not everyone will have the same views.

I just feel that we are still ashamed of having sex outside of relationships and that it isn't right being so ashamed of something that comes naturally to us.

I believe a lot of it boils down to religion even here in North America. Even the non religious I believe are influenced by the culture that has been bred for hundreds of years where sex is bad.

So when will sex be good? Will it take decades? Another century?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2016, 11:55 PM   #2
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I wouldn't consider sex taboo at all anymore?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2016, 11:58 PM   #3
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I wouldn't consider sex taboo at all anymore?
That's great but I'm talking about society as a whole and yes sex is still taboo.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:00 AM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
That's great but I'm talking about society as a whole and yes sex is still taboo.
According to whom?

I don't think it's taboo at all. I mean, in certain situations it is, but on the whole, it's simply a part of the circle of life.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:00 AM   #5
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has a way to go, but if anything I'd think it's even less taboo than the last few decades?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:09 AM   #6
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
According to whom?

I don't think it's taboo at all. I mean, in certain situations it is, but on the whole, it's simply a part of the circle of life.
It's great you don't think it is but you'd have to be pretty ignorant to think it isn't still taboo in North America.

Can someone give me a good reason why prostitution is illegal? You don't think sex being looked at as bad is part of that reason?

And I'm not sure I follow your circle of life comment. Part of the circle of life? that has nothing to do with the subject.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:11 AM   #7
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
It's great you don't think it is but you'd have to be pretty ignorant to think it isn't still taboo in North America.

Can someone give me a good reason why prostitution is illegal? You don't think sex being looked at as bad is part of that reason?

And I'm not sure I follow your circle of life comment. Part of the circle of life? that has nothing to do with the subject.
People are born. How does that happen?

There are certain aspects of sex that are taboo, but the concept of it is imperative to the sustainability of human life.

This literally got way too existential on me, sorry.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:12 AM   #8
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
People are born. How does that happen?

There are certain aspects of sex that are taboo, but the concept of it is imperative to the sustainability of human life.

This literally got way too existential on me, sorry.
Oh god, I'm not sure you're understanding the subject. You think I'm asking if sex is necessary to continue life?
Old 07-31-2016, 12:15 AM   #9
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Oh god, I'm not sure you're understanding the subject. You think I'm asking if sex is necessary to continue life?
Wait what are you talking about?

I'm sorry, I'm now really confused. It's too late for me to be comprehending this. Wat?

Cheers

Old 07-31-2016, 12:17 AM   #10
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Wait what are you talking about?

I'm sorry, I'm now really confused. It's too late for me to be comprehending this. Wat?

Cheers
Maybe it's bed time. Let's let the adults comment on this thread.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:19 AM   #11
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think you might want to frame your discussion better. What type of sex? Non-monogamous sex, same sex relations, swingers, polyamorous relations, online cybersex, regular old sex, really the list can go on and on.
Personally I dont see where there is a diminishment of sex in the world at large, rather the opposite.
Do some people, for moral or religious reasons decry the easier access to sex, certainly. They would also cling to the male-female pair bond and family as the only reason to procreate and sex as a necessity to do so.
But I think that isnt what has become the new norm.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2016, 12:20 AM   #12
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

To be fair, this is a really broad discussion. To echo what puffnstuff said, there are a ton of aspects to this that it's hard to follow what exactly we're talking about.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:22 AM   #13
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
I think you might want to frame your discussion better. What type of sex? Non-monogamous sex, same sex relations, swingers, polyamorous relations, online cybersex, regular old sex, really the list can go on and on.
Personally I dont see where there is a diminishment of sex in the world at large, rather the opposite.
Do some people, for moral or religious reasons decry the easier access to sex, certainly. They would also cling to the male-female pair bond and family as the only reason to procreate and sex as a necessity to do so.
But I think that isnt what has become the new norm.
Thanks for the reply. I did mention it is mostly sex outside relationships I'm talking about but really talking in general terms as well.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:27 AM   #14
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I believe religion is the root cause of this. Especially the Catholic Church. Sex has always been a sin outside marriage and you had to confess to the priest your sins which included sex outside marriage.

That's IMO the root cause of what we see today. Otherwise it doesn't make sense on why we are so ashamed of sex.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2016, 12:38 AM   #15
DirtyMike
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I believe religion is the root cause of this. Especially the Catholic Church. Sex has always been a sin outside marriage and you had to confess to the priest your sins which included sex outside marriage.

That's IMO the root cause of what we see today. Otherwise it doesn't make sense on why we are so ashamed of sex.
Sounds like somebody's had a bad experience recently.
DirtyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DirtyMike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2016, 01:47 AM   #16
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The fear of catching a sexualy transmitted disease prevents many from having sex with partners they don't know. Like, would you bump uglies with someone from a bar/club after 2AM if you didn't know if they were clean or not?
Old 07-31-2016, 02:00 AM   #17
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I simply think hanging around the Calgarypuck forum for the long weekend will lead to sex bad.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:38 AM   #18
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Click bait thread title.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2016, 06:24 AM   #19
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nope, sex is good.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2016, 06:35 AM   #20
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Because it's nearly impossible to tax. If it was possible to chain prostitutes up in a brothel and eliminate nearly all cash in the transaction I'm sure govt would be fine with it.

Prostitution is not illegal because of morals, but because of tax. Pot will be legalized not because it's the right thing to do or govt finally sees how it's not destructive socially, but because they will find a way to tax it. That's all this is about, prostitution will go the same way eventually. There's too much tax revenue in it for it to stay illegal.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote