Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #5861
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

After the crazy number of reviews that seemingly went against us this year, including that peposterous high sticking goal against Anaheim, I'm having a hard time drumming up any sympathy for that call. Them being the Oilers actually makes me giddy that it went against them.
The Following User Says Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #5862
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
It's very disheartening that many of you would cheer for a US team over a Canadian team regardless of who they are. Shame on you.
Ha ha. Shame on you for being a dummy!

The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #5863
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I'm cheering for all the Canadian teams in the playoffs. Just not Edmonton because they are an embarrassment to our province and to the league.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #5864
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's very disheartening that many of you would cheer for a US team over a Canadian team regardless of who they are. Shame on you.
Not only would I cheer for an American team over the Oilers, I'd cheer for KHL teams, SHL teams, even if they got a team in Azerbaijan, I'd cheer for them too. Especially a team that is only where they are today for supreme incompetence and only are in the post season because they failed their way into a superstar.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #5865
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
I can see the argument, and Kesler was definitely getting his hand into Talbot's pad, but Nurse is pushing and holding him there so he has nowhere to go and can't get up. I think that is why the call went the way it did. Without Nurse pushing and holding him in that position, there is no question the goal is disallowed.
I agree with this. In isolation, there would have been the benefit of the doubt in the Oilers favour. However, because Kesler was being interfered with, the benefit of the doubt swung the other way.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #5866
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I seriously cannot believe it, my eyes were lying to me, I was sure of it this morning when I looked at the final scores from last night. I saw that the score was 3-0 coilers with 5 minutes left and didn't look again until this morning. Wow.

I don't know that I have ever seen such an epic fail in the NHL playoffs in my life. Wow. I love that it was Kesler and Perry that were basically the heroes in tying and winning that game. Suck it Oilers. HF is extra entertaining today. The Flames exiting the playoffs was tough to swallow after the sweep from the Ducks but I love them today, I will love them even more when they beat the Oilers on Sunday.

Just the best Saturday morning I've had in a while and it is beautiful outside. Haha, I can't stop smiling this morning. Love it. Great day to be a Flames fan.

E = NG.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #5867
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the calls from the last two games had gone against the Flames I'd be absolutely irate, and looking to skin the NHL officials in Toronto.

So it's a good thing they happened to the Oilers, and I can just sit back and laugh!

Last edited by Mike F; 05-06-2017 at 01:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #5868
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Old 05-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #5869
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
This is a message board. We aren't a good example of regular fans. The hate here for other Canadian teams doesn't really reflect most Calgarians views.

Yeah.....no.

Almost all i talk too, sans my mother who is at best a tepid hockey fan and a former Edmonton area resident, are dead set against the Oilers and most I know are pulling for Nashville or Washington to win it all.

Geography has nothing to do with it.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #5870
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I'm cheering for all the Canadian teams in the playoffs. Just not Edmonton because they are an embarrassment to our province and to the league.
I'll add that I will cheer for any team with a hyped up fan base.
Loved the energy around the Leafs, and cheered for them, but when Ottawa has a few thousand empty seats in the second round it's kind of hard for me to get excited about them. I know most hate the Habs, but again, I love the passion of the fanbase. Love the Preds. Only really true success story the NHL has in a non traditional market.
But wont ever remain indifferent to Edmonton or Vancouver. Will always actively cheer against them. And I'm comfortable with my patriotism.
However, I don't understand people cheering against teams simply because they are Canadian. But I see that as childish, not unpatriotic.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #5871
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'd cheer for a team made up of Hitler, Voldemort, King Joffrey and Jared fogle before I'd cheer for the oilers.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #5872
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I agree with this. In isolation, there would have been the benefit of the doubt in the Oilers favour. However, because Kesler was being interfered with, the benefit of the doubt swung the other way.
I agree with this. Nurse, doing his best impersonation of a brainless Neanderthal, does not allow Kesler to get up.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #5873
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Dont know if this is posted elsewhere or not but here is the leagues interpretation and reason for the decision...not a lot can be debated as far as their conclusion.

Quote:
"After reviewing all available replays and consulting with NHL Hockey Operations staff, the Referee determined that the actions of Edmonton's Darnell Nurse caused Anaheim's Ryan Kesler to contact Talbot before the puck crossed the goal line. The decision was made in accordance with Note 2 of Rule 78.7 (ii) which states, in part, 'that the goal on the ice should have been allowed because (ii) the attacking Player was pushed, shoved or fouled by a defending Player causing the attacking Player to come into contact with the goalkeeper.'"
Old 05-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #5874
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

At risk of feeding the troll further,it shouldve been long established here that no Oilers win or success should be applauded by a true supporter of the Flames. Ever.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #5875
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Dont know if this is posted elsewhere or not but here is the leagues interpretation and reason for the decision...not a lot can be debated as far as their conclusion.
Exactly. This was a 30 second review also, not one of those 5 minute ones.
There is no question it was a good goal.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #5876
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This has the second dumbest 'Canadian' thing next to faux nationalism over a coffee brand. If the BBC ran a news clip about how Man U fans should rally behind Liverpool because it's very disheartening people from London aren't cheering for a London team the station would be burned to the ground. Yet for some reason in this country we can't seem to figure out why people wouldn't cheer for a fataing rival.

I'm sure Boston cheers for Montreal in the playoffs when they're out because it's very disheartening that they'd cheer for a not from the East.

It' a league made up of cities, not countries. There's no national pride about it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #5877
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Whats great is that if the Oilers lose this series, they'll go into the off season knowing that they don't have great depth, and their depth players ain't that great, and they won't be able to fix it in free agency, and they're probably going to have to go a lot thinner because of upcoming contracts and too many high dollar players that they're going to have to bounce.

And no Vegas isn't going to help them out by grabbing a loser like Poulliot.

This year isn't bad, right now at the end of the year they'll have 15 million in space with 10 forwards 2 defensemen and 2 goalies. But they're going to have to sign Draisaitl who's probably going to get a 4 million dollar raise and Kassian who's probably earned a 1.5 million dollar raise.

But then the year after they'll have Nurse and Benning and Cagguilla and Sleppyshev and McDavid so they're going to probably be adding $17 million bucks. They also have a UFA Maroon who if he continues to have success is going to want to cast in

Their window is this year and next year unless the can find someone to take bad contracts like Eberle and to a lesser extent RNH and frankly Lucic is going to be a horrible contract.

I would appreciate you to provide a similar critical analysis of the Flames situation.

When do you think the Flame will get to the level the Oilers reached this season and playoffs and will they be able to maintain it.

I kind of feel that had the Flames beaten the Sharks in the first round and won 2 games against the Ducks (losing twice in OT) I and everyone else at CP would be fully on the Flames bandwagon.

Are the Flames expected to be heavy favorites to do better than the Oilers next season?
Old 05-06-2017, 02:16 PM   #5878
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The crux of the argument, from most Oiler fans, is that Kesler grabbed Talbot's pad, thus not allowing him to close his legs and make the save.

The only angle that makes it look like Kesler's hand is holding the pad is the overhead view, and it is misleading. Kesler never let go of his stick with that hand. And his stick was being pressed downward by both Nurse and Talbot.

In other words, Kesler's arm got caught up with Talbot's pad. And since Nurse was pushing him, the refs rightly applied the rule, stating "the attacking Player was pushed, shoved or fouled by a defending Player causing the attacking Player to come into contact with the goalkeeper.'"

Had Kesler let go of his stick and actually grabbed Talbot's pad? That would definitely be interference. But no matter how much Oiler fans want to believe he grabbed the pad, hi didn't.

In fact, he managed to get his arm and stick free of Talbot before the puck even got there.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #5879
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
I would appreciate you to provide a similar critical analysis of the Flames situation.
Why don't you share your immense wisdom and provide one for us?
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
sun
Old 05-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #5880
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

When do you think the Flame will get to the level the Oilers reached this season and playoffs and will they be able to maintain it.

I kind of feel that had the Flames beaten the Sharks in the first round and won 2 games against the Ducks (losing twice in OT) I and everyone else at CP would be fully on the Flames bandwagon.

Are the Flames expected to be heavy favorites to do better than the Oilers next season?
Finally revealing your true colours.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread