Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #41
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Healy is a troll. The whole point of the stuff he says his to enrage the Fanbases across the country. Exploiting the passions of fans for their teams by idiots like that results in lots of page views and ranting on ad supported Rogers message boards. There is no such thing as bad publicity.

No chance they dump Healy.
agreed, unless they hear it from the advertisers.

If you really want to make a difference, pick on of the advertisers and let them know that you're boycotting their product because when you see it, it reminds you of Healy's lack of professionalism. Then go and tweet them the receipts of you spending at a competitor.

If the advertisers start commenting about it, the producers will listen. Until then, nothing imo.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #42
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Healy is a troll. The whole point of the stuff he says his to enrage the Fanbases across the country. Exploiting the passions of fans for their teams by idiots like that results in lots of page views and ranting on ad supported Rogers message boards. There is no such thing as bad publicity.

No chance they dump Healy.
I agree with this, I think he's supposed to be that hated.

Damien Cox though someone needs to tell that guy to tune down the outfit and makeup and do his homework on the team he's talking about.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #43
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
No Healy and more Friedman and I'll be happy
Yeah no kidding. When did hockey turn into a touchy-feely tearjerker show? I've never understood the appeal that Friedman has. Some people call him one of the most knowledgeable people in the NHL but to me he just seems like a hockey card collector with big thick hockey news enyclopedia's at his disposal.

Hockey central at noon is terrible too. It's a 40 minute show maybe five minutes of it is discussion of hockey the rest of the time it's what Doug MacLean barbecued the night before or where Kypreos gets his clothes from. It's an embarrassment. I'll listen to it on game days to see if they mention anything about the flames. Usually it's something along the lines of yes flames play tonight they suck.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:41 PM   #44
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Were there no sound issues at home? Watched the game on Center Ice and both the 1st and 2nd intermissions had sound issues. Healy and Cox were completely muted both times.

(Sadly) that massively increased the quality of the broadcast!
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #45
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing that has consistently bugged me for years about Sportsnet is that they don't have a separate audio feed for crowd noise. The games always sounded more exciting on TSN because we could hear the crowd reaction.

That and its owned by Rogers, which.... ahh, not worth heading that direction.
Harry Lime is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Lime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #46
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAlbertFlame View Post
Rhetto Berro
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #47
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
At the very least, it's great having Paul Romanuk back.
I'm a fan but I've found him to be a little rusty since coming back - it is like he isn't used to the speed of the NHL game. He completely missed the Colborne breakaway tonight.
Minor quibble though - I assume he will round back into "NHL shape" and when he does he will return to being one of the best.

I enjoy Mike Johnson - good insight.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #48
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAlbertFlame View Post
Rhetto Berro
Rhett Warrener, Reto Berra, and Ray Ferraro's three way love child?
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #49
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I'm a fan but I've found him to be a little rusty since coming back - it is like he isn't used to the speed of the NHL game. He completely missed the Colborne breakaway tonight.
Minor quibble though - I assume he will round back into "NHL shape" and when he does he will return to being one of the best.

Good call, that's it exactly.

I am a Romanuk fan as well, but he hasn't been quite spot on. And that's it, he isn't used to the pace.

When you're covering the Spengler Cup, you can go off on a tangent and wax poetic for lengthy stretches. In the NHL, you miss too much.

He'll be fine thought, he just needs 20 games to adjust.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #50
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am so happy to have Hrudey/Ball and Romanuk/Johnson or whoever, over Kerr/Simmer. SOOOO happy, it almost seems too good to be true, like the TML are just waiting around the corner to steal our talent and leave us with some Oiler cast-offs.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #51
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I remember how much TSN loved the Flames ..... - how do I make this text green
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #52
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

So far so good IMO in regards to the new coverage. I don't like everyone that's a part of their team, but the same cauldron have been said for CBC, TSN and SN in the past as well. Not going to ever hit a state where you love all their analysts or commentators, but as a whole, it's been a good start.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #53
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post

This is what I think to. After being in Europe all theses years and calling the games there.
In a few weeks He will get it back.

Once again I don't blame him missing the Colbourne breakaway. We were all dumbfounded by Boumas blocks.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #54
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

To be fair, TSN (damn the new format sucks) made the mistake of naming Johnny's goal as his first NHL goal as well in the vid below.

http://www.tsn.ca/video/nhl-flames-4-jets-1-1.111062

The caption under the vid, however, states it's his first of the season.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:12 PM   #55
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I agree with most in this thread that it is a major improvement. Love the multiple games on Saturday's. Strombo doing well.

However, the Gaudreau thing was terrible, they were over the top in correcting it too.

It's a shame what they've done with MacLean, should be split duty with Strombo, I was really sad to see MacLean follow the screw up and say it was Gaudreau's first goal, he is always prepared...but they have him doing the feel good marshmellowy stuff across the country so he gets a pass

I must've been drunk (definitely am now) but Damien Cox was actually good during this game? I may have just puked in my mouth a little after typing that..Healy was somewhat tolerable..okay, I'm drunk and need to go to bed....
Old 10-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #56
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Scott Oake Was A Dweeb Tonight Interviewing Gio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Sportsnet is doing fine.
I normally have a lot of time for Scott Oake but I thought he was real dweeb tonight in his post game interview with Gio. He was saying the Flames were playing rope-a-dope hockey on this road trip - particularly against Chicago and Winnipeg and implying they had no business winning those games.

Then he try's to be funny talking about the "unforgettable" moment in this game and Gio is looking at him trying to figure out what planet he is from. he was referring to Johnny's goal but the way he was asking the questions was just awkward.

Gio of course was a true pro - answered the questions ( once he figured out what Oake was talking about) and kept his cool demeanour.

But c'mon Scott - you have to pick up your game. The interview is on the Sportnet site.

Last edited by Gaudfather; 10-19-2014 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Correcting spelling.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2014, 12:22 AM   #57
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

The broadcast is terrible. The commentary and other business is just too much. They talked about the first period the whole game, whenever they could.

I can't stand when they are talking down the flames who are clearly putting forward a solid effort to the dismay of the broadcaster. It's like their cheat sheets and game liners have been pre-written and they are upset they can't use them.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:29 AM   #58
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
The broadcast is terrible. The commentary and other business is just too much. They talked about the first period the whole game, whenever they could.

I can't stand when they are talking down the flames who are clearly putting forward a solid effort to the dismay of the broadcaster. It's like their cheat sheets and game liners have been pre-written and they are upset they can't use them.
This seems like the same theme of the cbc when the Flames were making the playoffs a few years back...I have no idea why people are so up in arms about this now. It's nothing new people.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:35 AM   #59
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
This seems like the same theme of the cbc when the Flames were making the playoffs a few years back...I have no idea why people are so up in arms about this now. It's nothing new people.
It is the same theme since the last few years of the playoffs to now, but let's not kid ourselves, it's got nothing to do with SN, CBC and TSN were the same last year and before, and would be this year.

1. Flames last few years of making the playoffs deserved the critique as they were drastically underachieving.
2. Flames post playoffs didn't recognize they needed to rebuild and deserved the critique.
3. Rebuild Flames have take. An approach most talking heads haven't agreed with (for some reason they want the burn it down Oilers method, cause that's been so good) and haven't picked the flames to fair well. As the Flames keep beating expectations, the talking heads look to minimize the progress because they don't want to look foolish about their previous critique. Frustrating no doubt, but not an SN issue per say.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:35 AM   #60
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post

Not a fan of the national broadcasts so far for the Flames. Romanuk was in Europe for how long? Randorf was 3rd string at TSN. I think the format, especially for the Sunday night, is less about play by play and more about discussion (or so it seemed).

Outside of Friedman, not a lot to offer during the intermissions, but I've never been a big fan of in-intermission analysis. There's some lazy analysis talking in generalities, or too specific, picking on a player or situation in that period and projecting that as the be-all and end all of that player or the flow of the game.

Thankfully, the Flames have maybe the strongest team with Roger, Rick and Kelly on the call...considering that's where 75% of the broadcasts/play by play we're going to hear are going to come from, we're pretty well setup as Flames fans. Just do something else after the Roger interview after each period for about 10 minutes while Kypreos and McLean argue about something Leaf-related.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post: