Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #21
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

0 points and -4 in 5 games... I'd say Sven is demonstrating pretty well that he has things to work on before he finds his way onto the Flames. Let alone our 1st or 2nd line.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #22
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
0 points and -4 in 5 games... I'd say Sven is demonstrating pretty well that he has things to work on before he finds his way onto the Flames. Let alone our 1st or 2nd line.
They've won one game and have been outscored 2 to 1. SVEN'S FAULT!
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #23
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
They've won one game and have been outscored 2 to 1. SVEN'S FAULT!
Who ever said their games have been solely Sven's fault? You're going to tell me that 0 points and -4 on a team doing terribly = NHL call up?
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #24
ThatsRobbery
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Well that's looking at it with no context. They were terrible in the first two games and Ortio was not good. From what I've read, people who actually watch the games say Sven has probably been our top player so far, just snake-bitten for points. (If this is wrong from any of our resident Adirondack fans, let me know.)
ThatsRobbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #25
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Sven has zero points in five games and is a -4. I doubt he's getting a call-up until he starts producing (no matter if he's playing well or not).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Baertschi 5GP and 0 Pts and -4. Can't really speak on it further but definitely would have liked to see better numbers. Reinhart as well 5GP 0 Pts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Great thus far?

In which aspects of his game?
Quote:
Glad to see you guys all know how to find Sven's hockeydb page. Another valuable resource is the Back Burner forum on CP. There are several posters on there who have gone the extra mile and either subscribed to AHL live for the season, or listen to the games on the radio. According to those posters Sven has looked very good so far and is driving the play quite a bit. He just seems to be snake-bitten right now (Reinhart too, 8 shots on goal tonight).
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goodlad For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #26
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dustin Stevenson is Adirondack's leading scorer.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #27
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who ever said their games have been solely Sven's fault? You're going to tell me that 0 points and -4 on a team doing terribly = NHL call up?
Have you been watching the games?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #28
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't seen any games. Waiting for input from people who have. Caged Great said he has been great.

His stats are not very good.

He has 9 shots on goal which is fifth on the team.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #29
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
I think most of us would love to see a top six of

baertschi-Monahan-hudler
Gaudreau-backlund-Raymond/colborne
Not sure about that. Even if you put Colborne in instead of Raymond(I wouldn't, I hope he turns into a good 3rd line centre), that's a really small top six, especially in the Western Conference. If you leave Raymond there, which he should imo, he's playing well right now, that's a tiny top 6. They will get ground down in a long season and/or playoff run(when we make them.) I would like to see Ferland in the mix. Adds some much needed toughness without sacrificing skill.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:33 AM   #30
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsRobbery View Post
Well that's looking at it with no context. They were terrible in the first two games and Ortio was not good. From what I've read, people who actually watch the games say Sven has probably been our top player so far, just snake-bitten for points. (If this is wrong from any of our resident Adirondack fans, let me know.)
There's really no context that can be garnered in 5 games that's actually worthwhile anyway.

He didn't make it out of camp for a reason, and his AHL resume shows 0 points in -4. Any games he's looked good in would be a start to him turning the corner. 0 points and -4 is not a corner turned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlad View Post
Glad to see you guys all know how to find Sven's hockeydb page. Another valuable resource is the Back Burner forum on CP. There are several posters on there who have gone the extra mile and either subscribed to AHL live for the season, or listen to the games on the radio. According to those posters Sven has looked very good so far and is driving the play quite a bit. He just seems to be snake-bitten right now (Reinhart too, 8 shots on goal tonight).
Glad to know you know how to judge NHL ability from 5 bad AHL games.

No one here has asserted they know more than a 20+ game AHL fan. It's 5 games in. Anyone who has watched those 5 games and determined NHL capabilities is premature anyway, regardless of how many extra miles they've gone. If it's an injury call up (as he may be now with Jooris out), then sure. But we're talking about pushing him into the lineup. 5 AHL games, is not enough to prove anything. 5 AHL games without a point and -4 is even moreso not enough.

Quote:
5 games. Whether I've watched all 5 or not, it's not enough to earn a spot in the NHL. If he was at a PPG pace to start the season, we'll talk. But he's just 'looked good', which is a great start... but nothing proven.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:08 AM   #31
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I betcha he's watched just as many games as the average fans on here who are calling for Sven to be called up and are claiming he's ready to go.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:27 AM   #32
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sven had been the best of the Addy forwards, although Granlund potting a pair bumped him slightly ahead at this point only because he finished some of his chances, something Sven needs to rectify soon. That stat line is ugly, but he Reinhart, and Knight have all been snakebit, getting great opportunities and having the other team goalie rob them.

The first couple of games were like the Chicago game earlier in the week in terms of the other team possessing the puck, so it was hard for them to get chances, although when they did actually get in the other zone they created a some good opportunities that they just couldn't finish. In terms of raw high end chances, those games should've been more of a 3-2 game not 5-1, and 6-1 game (that's where a lot of Sven's -'s come from)
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #33
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those saying Sven shouldn't be called up. How many points did jooris have before he was called up?
Old 10-19-2014, 09:20 AM   #34
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just gotta learn when not to give the stat monkeys attention. Caged, Drury and daresay I have a decent idea on how deserved a call up would be for Sven and Caged hit it right on the mark. Prior to last night's game I'd say Sven was our best forward, but Granlund bumped him due to finding his scoring touch.

For replacing Jooris though the next guy may be Ferland.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #35
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

What doesn't seem to be mentioned in all of this is that Monahan hasn't been putting up many points since he and Sven were separated. I shudder to mention it for fear of the melodrama it might cause, but Mony's production was at its best when Baertschi was on his wing. It's tailed off significantly since then.

Hudler has been there all along, so the only variable that has changed had been a lack of Sven. I get the impression Mony is at his best when there are 2 offensive dynamos out there with him. I think he needs Sven or Johnny on his wing and it is perplexing that we haven't seen that happen much at all...
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #36
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
What doesn't seem to be mentioned in all of this is that Monahan hasn't been putting up many points since he and Sven were separated. I shudder to mention it for fear of the melodrama it might cause, but Mony's production was at its best when Baertschi was on his wing. It's tailed off significantly since then.

Hudler has been there all along, so the only variable that has changed had been a lack of Sven. I get the impression Mony is at his best when there are 2 offensive dynamos out there with him. I think he needs Sven or Johnny on his wing and it is perplexing that we haven't seen that happen much at all...

^^Actually some points here, it would be really nice to see the coach put Monahan and Sven together for the rest of the season + Hudler. Let them grow together and complement each other.I also like the suggestion another poster made about pairing Bennett and Gaudreau. Bennett and Gaudreau could spend next season developing chemistry.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #37
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
^^Actually some points here, it would be really nice to see the coach put Monahan and Sven together for the rest of the season .
Except that SB hasn't demonstrated that he's got what it takes to play full time in the NHL. So far, he's a top 6 AHL'er and not much more

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:36 AM   #38
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I like the idea of putting him with Monahan, the two were magic together. Their games complimented each other so well and they brought out the best in each other. Whether that is the result of a small sample size or not it's worth trying them together again. Granlund probably gets the chance first though. If Backlund can become a significant contributor and a substantial positive element on the team so can Sven.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:52 AM   #39
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You know, I'll be the first to point out that Sven did not play up to standard in Abby last year and disappointed me a bit. And I believe he was beat squarely to the punch for a spot on the roster in this camp. However, I never agreed with the decision to send him down last fall, because his play at the NHL level at the time honestly wasn't bad at all. He put up a point every second game and added creativity and excitement most nights. I saw the lack of physicality from him, but never the 'liability issue' that management seemed to have a beef with. He definitely could have improved, but he was no worse defensively than 80% of rookies.

Post-demotion Baertschi hasn't been great, in fact pretty meh. But pre-demotion Baertschi was actually doing things out there, while I think serving a purpose similar to Gaudreau, and I wish he was treated as such while kept on the big team. It's sad that offensively he hasn't gotten back there since. Hey, I'll take 40 points from my 3rd line LWer on a contending team, any day.

In regards to the question though, you don't call up a kid just for the sake of possible chemistry with one of your players. No management operates that way...except for maybe Edmonton.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:30 AM   #40
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
For those saying Sven shouldn't be called up. How many points did jooris have before he was called up?
He played two games and was called up for what he showed in pre-season, not what he showed in those two games. And it was an injury callup, not pushing him onto the roster as we are talking about here. With the way the A-Flames were playing down there, I wouldn't have been screaming for Jooris to join the big club either.

Baertschi sounds like he's turning the corner, so let's let him do that. Until his stat lines start shaping up, there is still work to do. Top 6 in the NHL should be pretty unquestionably dominant in the AHL. 0P -4 isn't that.