Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default GAME 6: Hamilton at STAMPEDERS

Hamilton Tiger-Cats at Calgary Stampeders
McMahon Stadium
Kickoff: Saturday, July 29th @ 7:30 P.M.
TV: TSN, ESPN3

Since 2015, Calgary have won every home game against Hamilton but each of their five triumphs over the Ticats at McMahon since 2012 has been by less than a converted touchdown.Last time the Ticats won vs the Stamps at McMahon was 13 years ago. Marcus Crandell waas the QB for the Stamps while Danny McManus was the TiCats' QB. Even though the TiCats' record is 0-4 right now, the 3-1-1 Stampeders will not take them lightly. TiCats is struggling right now but they still have one of the best young QB in the CFL with Zach Collaros and one of the best returner in Speedy Banks.

OFFENSE:

Last week was the first time this season that Stamps run the ball more than the passing attempts. It actually helped because the Riders defense was caught concentrating on stopping Messam and some of the receivers were open, One good example was the Marquay McDaniel TD. Quay was wide open and the closest defender was caught watching the running plays.

Stamps stats against the Saskatchewan Roughriders last week:
QB Bo Levi Mitchell : 16/28 253YDS, 2 TD and 1 INT.

RB Jerome Messam : 28 carries 135 YDS and 1 TD - Player of the Week
R Marquay McDaniel : 2 for 88 YDS, 1 TD
R Kamar Jorden : 8 for 88 YDS 0 TD
R Lemar Durant : 4 for 61 YDS 1 TD
Oline: No sacks allowed.

DEFENSE:

Hughes picked the right time to come back. He came back playing the arch-rival Riders and against QB Kevin Glenn. Hughes was all over the Riders' OLine and definitely made Derek Dennis looks like a rookie out there. Hughes would have gotten at least 5 or more sacks the way he was playing. I actually thought he made 4 sacks. 3 were counted and the other one he got a hold of Kevin Glenn and Glenn's knee were down before he managed to throw the ball. DE James Vaughter was also played well and sacked Glenn twice.

Stats from last week's game:

DE Charleston Hughes :3 Tackles and 3 QB sacks and Player of the Week

DE James Vaughters : 4 tackles and 2 QB sacks
LB Maleki Harris, DB Ciante Evans, DT Micah Johnson and DB Jamar Wall all have 4 tackles.

SPECIAL TEAM:

It looks like Rene Paredes' struggled was now in the past. Paredes who struggled in the first two games was perfect in his field goal attempts in the last two games. Roy Finch who missed 2-games on a drug-related suspension doesn't look like he missed a step at all. Both Langlais and Power were pretty good on the special team coverage.

Stats from last week's game.

K Rene Paredes : 2 for 2 FG
R Roy Finch : 8 punt returns 122 YDS
R Marken Michel : 3 kickoff returns for 57 YDS.
RB William Langlais : 3 special team tackles
RB Charlie Power : 2 special team tackles

INJURY REPORT:

DB Brandon Smith who is eligible to come back after tomorrow's game. He is currently on 6-games injury list. Defensive captain Joshua Bell will miss the action tomorrow due to knee injury. Stamps doesn't think the injury is very serious which is a good nice. As of today, it looks like Bell is the only one not playing from last week's rosters. DB Odiasse will be inserted to replace Bell in the lineup while rookie Tunde Adeleke will start on Bell's safety position.

Stamps will definitely take this game tomorrow. It is pretty scary to see the Stamps play their full potential. Imagine having the OLine 100% healthy, Mitchell getting his game back, Davaris Daniels getting the ball as much as last season and Messam running the ball as much as last week with a little more yards averages per carry. Defense fully healthy, I would say this team would be unbeatable.

Stamps need to pressure Collaros more often and get him frustrated. Ticats is a good team but if you get Collaros frustrated, their offense will not go anywhere.

Looks like we will have another nice and hot weather on game time tomorrow.

GO STAMPS GO!!!!

Last edited by OzSome; 07-29-2017 at 11:09 AM.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2017, 09:03 PM   #2
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Not directly tied to the tomorrow's game, but there's tons of excellent coverage on the 1992 25th anniversary celebration on the Stampeders website.

It's great to see Doug Flutie in red and white again:

https://www.stampeders.com/2017/07/2...m-doug-flutie/

One of my earliest CFL memories is the West final versus Edmonton and that last minute drive by Flutie. It was bloody freezing, too!

Should be a fun tomorrow -- the weather is going to be fabulous and to have all that alumni around will make it even better.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a golden age for the CFL particularly for QBs. Flutie, Ham, Austin, Barrett, Allen, etc. just amazing
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Not directly tied to the tomorrow's game, but there's tons of excellent coverage on the 1992 25th anniversary celebration on the Stampeders website.

It's great to see Doug Flutie in red and white again:

https://www.stampeders.com/2017/07/2...m-doug-flutie/

One of my earliest CFL memories is the West final versus Edmonton and that last minute drive by Flutie. It was bloody freezing, too!

Should be a fun tomorrow -- the weather is going to be fabulous and to have all that alumni around will make it even better.

I was at that game...and "freezing" is a massive understatement. I have been colder only once in my life and that was a -55 day at the Novacor plant outside Joffre when we were doing construction of it.

That game is probably my favorite sporting moment i saw live ever. It was so surreal to be watching guys play football in that weather while sitting in the stands and falsely finding warmth in a wineskin full of crown royal.

Doug Flutie is the best player to ever set foot in the CFL and we got a good chunk of his prime in Calgary. He wasn't alone of course as that roster had so many good players. Pitts, Sapunjis, Forde, Demitrius "Pee Wee" Smith (who could stretch the field like no one else)...then on defense they were stacked. Alondra and Will Johnson, Darryl Hall (best DB in CFL history i believe) Harrold Hasselback, Stu Laird, and Greg Petersen.

Good memories.

Last edited by transplant99; 07-29-2017 at 07:52 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #5
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta love those old red and white unis... Much better than current.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man.. i remember that 92 West Finals very well. I didn't think I sat down at all in the last quarter. Stamps receivers didn't actually well that game dropping tons of good passes by Flutie. I was nervous but also very confident that Flutie Magic will come in handy that night too. That was a very cold night but I've been very cold night at McMahon that decade too. It was the Western Semi-Final I believed against the Riders. I was wearing 2 or 3 layers plus wearing my coverall ski-do suit. It didn't help that the Stamps lost that game. I believed it was Pretty Boy Johnson at the quarterback and he threw the ball Larry Ray Willis. Willis just gave up on the play and was intercepted by a Riders DB. I remembered yelling and screaming at Willis. Instead of chasing the guy who intercepted the ball he just stand there and did not even put an effort to chase after the guy. Willis was my most hated Stamps ever. Lazy bum.

I love our defense with two of my all-time favorite DL Will Johnson and MLB Marvin "Big Daddy" Pope. We had the best defense that season with Will Johnson, Harold Hasselbach, Canadians(Stu Laird, Kent Warnock, Srecko Zizakovic) on the line(i am sure I am missing someone else). Then we have AJ(Alondra Johnson), Big Daddy Pope, Canadian Matt Finley. Secondary Junior Thurman and others. On offense another one of my all-time favorite Stamps Bruce "Big Tuna" Covernton, SB Allen Pitts, Dave "The Sponge" Sapungis, Carl Brand, Derrick Crawford, PeeWee Smith and RB Keyvan Jenkins. Mark McLoughlin was actually my all-time favorite kicker. Okay, he is tied with JT Hay.
We have the best assembly of coaches that season too lead by Wally, Huff, George Cortez and others.

Anyways I wish I could be at the game seeing those legends Flutie and company again. I expect a good game tonight with nice weather.

GO STAMPS GO!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 03:42 PM   #7
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Gotta love those old red and white unis... Much better than current.
Aint that the truth.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:46 PM   #8
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ugh Rod Black. Why? Why does he still have a job?
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #9
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bo testing the Ticats' secondaries early. Durant having a tough time seeing the ball on the left hand side of the field due to the sun.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:01 PM   #10
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh no, Kamar Jorden is hurt and it looks bad.

Edit: He jogged off the field, whew I guess not so bad after all.
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:09 PM   #11
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finch!! What a return!
Old 07-29-2017, 08:09 PM   #12
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Finch!
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:10 PM   #13
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Woooohoooo!!! Roy Finch's 97 yards punt return for a touchdown.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:11 PM   #14
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a flag could and probably should have been thrown for a block in the back on that return. Oh well.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:20 PM   #15
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great catch by Michel and Messam finishes it off with a 1 yard plunge.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #16
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spencer Wilson with a sweet pair of mitts for the 2 pt. convert lol
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #17
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kazaam! Shaq with the pick six.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:35 PM   #18
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a lame and weak pass interference call on Jamar Wall.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:36 PM   #19
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess when you're down 24-zip what have you got to lose and that 3rd down gamble almost worked.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:37 PM   #20
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Spencer Wilson with a sweet pair of mitts for the 2 pt. convert lol
Jack of all trade this Wilson guy. Maybe one day he'll get a lateral from Mitchell then he throws a complete pass to someone.
The Following User Says Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:

Tags
collaross , go stamps go , nice weather , oskie wahwah , tigercats