Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Stampede parade and c-train

Looking ro checkout the Parade? Do the trains still run during the parade? What's a good time to arrive? Not worried about seating we may have a venue to use along the route
Old 07-05-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...-closures.aspx
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:22 PM   #3
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Great so it's saying some detours.... I have zero understanding on the train. Can I take It from NW to 8th street station?
Old 07-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore View Post
Great so it's saying some detours.... I have zero understanding on the train. Can I take It from NW to 8th street station?
Quote:
CTrain service runs before, during and after the parade. All downtown CTrain stations are within one block of the Parade route.
Sounds like yes, no problem.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

The trains run through the core during the parade. What time to get there depends on where you want to watch. This year the parade route is reversed so it runs 9-11 on 9th ave and 11 to 1ish on 6th.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 07:28 AM   #6
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to love parade day when I took the train to work. all the parade goers would get on the train and say "is this how busy the train is every day"
Old 07-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #7
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever line to you take, the cars fill up so try to get on at as early a station as possible. For example, if you're taking the South line, you need to get on at Anderson or further out. If you're at Heritage you'll just be watching full train after full train go by.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:25 AM   #8
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How busy will it be around 11:30? Need to take the train to Cowboys.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #9
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

11:30 is post-peak parade rush, so you should be good.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
11:30 is post-peak parade rush, so you should be good.
I disagree. Last year I was riding around this time and it was brutal already. 5 minute waits minimum at every downtown station and train was totally rammed. Allot yourself more time than you think you might need in my opinion.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #11
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
I disagree. Last year I was riding around this time and it was brutal already. 5 minute waits minimum at every downtown station and train was totally rammed. Allot yourself more time than you think you might need in my opinion.
I thought Weitz was asking about heading into the core at 11:30. If he's leaving the core at 11:30, you're absolutely right that it will be packed.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #12
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I thought Weitz was asking about heading into the core at 11:30. If he's leaving the core at 11:30, you're absolutely right that it will be packed.
Yeah, I was coming from up north, but noticed issues as soon as I got to SAIT with the train waiting at the stations. I guess it depends which way he's going, but people leave the parade as soon as it's passed wherever they are standing and bring their chairs and strollers and attempt to wedge themselves on there. I know they had Ctrain employees trying to get people in at every DT station.

Probably best to just head over there now and camp out really...
Old 07-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #13
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be heading from Sunnyside. Just want to know when to leave so I don't miss the concert. Thanks for the heads up guys maybe I will leave a little earlier.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #14
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We'll be taking our 1.5 yr old to the Stampede Parade for the first time tomorrow. We have a parking stall in the Suncor building, so we're planning to drive in, park, then walk over to 9th avenue near the start of the route.

Does anyone know what time we should aim to get there? We don't have bleacher seat tickets, and are just hoping to find a spot on the sidewalks. I'm thinking around 7ish, but is this too late?

Also, does anyone know where the "free" zones are? I've only been able to find the bleacher seats for the Rotary club, and that 80% of the route will be free.

Last edited by me_dennis; 07-06-2017 at 11:25 AM.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #15
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
We'll be taking our 1.5 yr old to the Stampede Parade for the first time tomorrow. We have a parking stall in the Suncor building, so we're planning to drive in, park, then walk over to 9th avenue near the start of the route.

Does anyone know what time we should aim to get there? We don't have bleacher seat tickets, and are just hoping to find a spot on the sidewalks. I'm thinking around 7ish, but is this too late?
I don't know the answer, but there will be people out tonight saving spots which is crazy!
Old 07-06-2017, 05:01 PM   #16
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Also, does anyone know where the "free" zones are? I've only been able to find the bleacher seats for the Rotary club, and that 80% of the route will be free.
Just keep in mind that Police will be keeping the entire parade route closed this year until the parade is completely finished everywhere. If you're watching the parade on 9th Avenue, the parade will finish around 11-11:30, and if your car is parked inside the closure area, your car will be trapped until 1:30 when the parade finishes at 6th Avenue and 3rd Street SE. May be a long wait to leave with no parade to watch - people parked in lots along 9th Avenue are in for a
Long wait. Not sure where the Suncor parking ramps come out, and whether or not you'd be affected.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:08 PM   #17
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Whatever line to you take, the cars fill up so try to get on at as early a station as possible. For example, if you're taking the South line, you need to get on at Anderson or further out. If you're at Heritage you'll just be watching full train after full train go by.
The flip side to this, I wouldn't get on at the end of the line. For example, park at Shawnessy and if the trains are full, head the one stop south on the way there. A few years ago we took my niece to watch the parade and parked at Sommerset. There ended up being a backlog of trains, so we were stuck between Shawnessy and Sommerset for about half an hour. On an old school non-air conditioned train.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #18
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Would be heading from Sunnyside. Just want to know when to leave so I don't miss the concert. Thanks for the heads up guys maybe I will leave a little earlier.
Going from Sunnyside to Cowboys, my thinking would be to avoid the parade route altogether. Hop in a cab/Uber/Car2Go and go over to 14th St down to 12th Ave and go right to Cowboys that way. If traffic gets too bad near the grounds, hop out and walk the rest of the way.

I don't know if that's the best route, so someone who knows the area better might shoot it down, but I'd rather be in an air conditioned car than a crowded train any day.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #19
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you considered using alternative transportation?

Spoiler!
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #20
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

You realize that this is going to be a long morning for your little guy. I would recommend that you try to find a spot that will allow you to get out of the parade if your guy starts to show sings of having enough.

At this age I'd suggest staying home to watch it on tv, but I understand the allure of taking it in live.

Quote: