Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-06-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Jihad: Bring Shaw Webmail Limits into the year 2017

I'm wondering if there are shaw users that would like to help me put some pressure on Shaw. Long story short, Shaw caps their webmail at 1GB...I should have never set up a shaw e-mail and i will switch out of it over time; but for now this cap is really causing me trouble as i have several issues i need to keep sent and received mail (from several years back) at my fingertips.

Here's the thing, I would easily pay right now for increased limit, but shaw doesn't even allow that, there is no option available. It's super ridiculous, and based on principal alone (i know all the smart people already have gmail addresses) please join with me by voicing your displeasure to Shaw if you are a current subscriber. Plus it's the summer, and who doesn't like a challenge. Let's get this changed by Labour Day! According to the manager i spoke to, tonight; they have asked for larger limits but the execs think it's just a small number who want it; they need to track more complaints.

You can easily join the fight by starting a chat request here:

https://shaw.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch

Last edited by Ace; 07-06-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:28 PM   #2
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Based on our jihad luck this week, I'm afraid if I do that the CEO of Shaw is going to send me a whiny email and cut my cable.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:38 PM   #3
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
Based on our jihad luck this week, I'm afraid if I do that the CEO of Shaw is going to send me a whiny email and cut my cable.

Must have missed that one!
Old 07-07-2017, 06:06 AM   #4
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have shaw and I've never been close to maxing out.
Make another account, you're allowed 5 I think, or clean up your damn email.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

People still use Shaw for email?

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Create a Gmail account and forward everything there?
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #7
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

can you pay for a business account? they'd have higher limits, wouldn't they?
I think those execs are right and it is only a tiny amount that need it to be bigger for personal accounts.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #8
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
can you pay for a business account? they'd have higher limits, wouldn't they?
I think those execs are right and it is only a tiny amount that need it to be bigger for personal accounts.
We'll i asked them to put me on a shaw employee account, and they said their limit is the same. I do have a new outlook address i'll be switching to, however silly me thought it was way cooler to have an @shaw mail account 15 years ago instead of a hotmail account; and this is going to take time to switch. I have about three major dealings occurring all at the same time which i need access over multiple platforms for at least another year. My main dilemma is i need access to old sent and received e-mail in an exchange environment.

If i archive down to my machine I lose that ability. I've been deleting junk from the mailbox for a while now, and i'm running our of stuff to get rid of.

@Shaw=NG
Old 07-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #9
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Install an email client and download the emails, then clean it up on webmail. Backup your client email files to Dropbox or OneDrive or whatever.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #10
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
We'll i asked them to put me on a shaw employee account, and they said their limit is the same. I do have a new outlook address i'll be switching to, however silly me thought it was way cooler to have an @shaw mail account 15 years ago instead of a hotmail account; and this is going to take time to switch. I have about three major dealings occurring all at the same time which i need access over multiple platforms for at least another year. My main dilemma is i need access to old sent and received e-mail in an exchange environment.

If i archive down to my machine I lose that ability. I've been deleting junk from the mailbox for a while now, and i'm running our of stuff to get rid of.

@Shaw=NG
wow. thought for sure their business side would have a better limit.
jammies had a good idea, though!
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #11
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Outlook.com accounts have no space limit I believe. if you already have one, you can use a desktop client (e.g. MS Office Outlook), hook it up to both Shaw and Outlook.com, and then simply drag emails from the Shaw folder(s) to Outlook.com to move them over. they'll be accessible from any of your devices and you'll have Microsoft's infinitely larger infrastructure handling all the storage and searching tasks.

back in the day, it made sense for ISPs to offer add-ons like email accounts, web pages and online storage for customers. but now that giant cloud providers can do all those things on a vastly bigger scale for free, Shaw probably has little to no motivation to maintain their version of these services. they would probably love to shut them down if it didn't piss off the remaining customers that still used those addresses.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #12
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Outlook.com accounts have no space limit I believe. if you already have one, you can use a desktop client (e.g. MS Office Outlook), hook it up to both Shaw and Outlook.com, and then simply drag emails from the Shaw folder(s) to Outlook.com to move them over. they'll be accessible from any of your devices and you'll have Microsoft's infinitely larger infrastructure handling all the storage and searching tasks.

back in the day, it made sense for ISPs to offer add-ons like email accounts, web pages and online storage for customers. but now that giant cloud providers can do all those things on a vastly bigger scale for free, Shaw probably has little to no motivation to maintain their version of these services. they would probably love to shut them down if it didn't piss off the remaining customers that still used those addresses.
Thanks for the suggestion...ultimately this is my plan. As some of the things i'm dealing with have potential legal ramifications I just don't want to lose the original format (send/receive stamps) until these matters are resolved. I'm sure it would likely work just fine, but i'm just not wanting to take the risk right now.

Do appreciate you guys coming up with solutions, but you're also totally killing my dream of the little guy making big bad shaw submit!