Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #221
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Somehow, for the first time ever, I just saw a picture of Mark Davis. Wow.
I know I know, its superficial and all that. Judging on appearances, etc etc. But a bowl cut? Really?
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 09:03 PM   #222
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
I know I know, its superficial and all that. Judging on appearances, etc etc. But a bowl cut? Really?
He seems like a character. He drives a 90s minivan and wears a fannypack everywhere. Not the life I'd live with over half a billion but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:04 PM   #223
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would make sense for Broncos, Chiefs and Chargers fans to go together for season tickets, guaranteed game every year. The rest of the AFC plays a bit more often than NFC teams because of the two conference crossover games, but all NFC teams gotta wait eight years between games.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #224
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
More likely Miami thinks Vegas kicks them out of the Super Bowl rotation, which is looking like LA, Vegas, Arizona, New Orleans and various. Miami not happy to become "various", especially after they just upgraded their stadium.
Ross voted "no" because he felt the Raiders didn't try hard enough to stay;

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-raiders-move/

As a Raiders fan I feel he's off base as when Al Davis moved back to Oakland he was promised that the city would work with him to eventually build a new facility and none of that ever transpired while Al was alive. When Mark took over he accessed the situation and realized that not only the team needed to be overhauled but the organization and the facilities as well and had worked with the city of Oakland for years and the city just stalled and stalled. Oakland is in danger of losing all their professional franchises so it's not like this was a Raiders thing. The city never really got serious about negotiating with its franchises and Davis finally realized that it was time to move forward.

I don't want to get into the politics of using public money to build stadiums but Mark Davis is unlike other NFL owners. He wasn't a billionaire that bought a football team. He's the son of an original AFL/NFL owner and their money revolved solely around the team. The Raiders have always been cash poor compared to the rest of the NFL and Al actually sold shares of the team to raise money to overspend in free agency on all his busts leaving Mark a huge mess of a terrible roster, facilities that were falling apart, and the bare minimum shares to still have a majority. He badly needed a new facility but unlike other owners he doesn't have the additional incomes from other businesses to cover the costs so there was no way he was ever going to get a new facility without outside assistance.

As a Raiders fan I'm happy that things are finally getting resolved. It would have been nice to see them stay in Oakland but selfishly Las Vegas is better for fans like me as I'm going to be able to see them live more and I'm looking forward to weekend trips where I can hit a hockey game on Saturday and football game Sunday.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #225
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
It's been an ongoing joke for years now amongst Raider fans. He's fully aware of how people discuss it and I don't know if he keeps it because he actually thinks it looks good or because he's trolling everyone.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:03 AM   #226
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's admitted his favorite restaurant is hooters

I imagine he's not really fitting in with kraft and the maras
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #227
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely feel for the people of Oakland who have had their team they love ripped from them twice. Like many others stated in the thread Vegas is going to be a great place to go watch football and is very easily accessible for Calgarians.

Raider Nation is bigger than the Bay Area so many fans of the team benefit from this move. It would be a huge piss off for fans in Oakland especially ones old enough to live through the LA relocation in the 80's
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:16 AM   #228
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still think there's a decent chance Davis gets forced out in the long run, especially if he's on the hook for any cost overruns of the stadium. Adelson can make his life a nightmare in that regard seeing as he pretty much controls Vegas. Doesn't mean Adelson will take over the team, just that he might force Davis to choose between going broke, or selling the team. Adelson is a spiteful guy who has money and power. Could be fun to watch (unless you're a Raider fan).
Old 03-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #229
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NFL doesn't want any part of Adelson owning any stake in the team.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #230
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Yes, I would. Maybe we can get a group together and purchase couple of them.
4 seats? I'd probably want to go 3 times per season or so myself. I only would want to see Fish, NYG and perhaps Dallas, so you guys can fight over all the Chiefs and Broncos games.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:27 AM   #231
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
4 seats? I'd probably want to go 3 times per season or so myself. I only would want to see Fish, NYG and perhaps Dallas, so you guys can fight over all the Chiefs and Broncos games.
Chiefs and Broncos would be the games that I and most Raiders fans would want.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #232
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The NFL doesn't want any part of Adelson owning any stake in the team.
You obviously misread what I was saying. Adelson can ruin Davis financially and force him to sell, but it doesn't have to be to Adelson specifically. He has the power to make the stadium project go into huge cost overruns. I mean the new Atlanta stadium is like $600 million over budget, but when you have Home Depot money, it's all good. Davis would be bankrupt if the Vegas stadium went that far over budget and he was on the hook (and I imagine he is).
Old 03-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #233
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
You obviously misread what I was saying. Adelson can ruin Davis financially and force him to sell, but it doesn't have to be to Adelson specifically. He has the power to make the stadium project go into huge cost overruns. I mean the new Atlanta stadium is like $600 million over budget, but when you have Home Depot money, it's all good. Davis would be bankrupt if the Vegas stadium went that far over budget and he was on the hook (and I imagine he is).
Isn't the NFL providing funds for this project as well as the City? Would the league allow an outsider to screw them around when they know Davis doesn't have the financial backing that many other owners possess?

The league voted this through and they will do their best to have this move gonoff without I hitch I think.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #234
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

League has always hated the Raiders and the Davis family, I'm sure they'd be thrilled to see him out of the league. As far as screwing around, how do you stop Adelson? He controls Las Vegas for the most part, if he wants to obstruct the project and drive up the cost he's going to do it. Being worth $32 billion has its perks. Also the league vote has to do with the principle of not passing on $700 million in public money. Would set a very dangerous precedent for the league to pass on that kind of public money. Ross is just pissed he didn't get public money when he wanted it, and he's going to watch Miami drop out of the Super Bowl rotation, otherwise it would have been 32-0.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 03-28-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #235
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

The league passed rule to ban leaping over the line of scrimmage to block kicks. Because fans don't want to see any form of exciting defense.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #236
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be fair to the league it was the NFLPA who pushed to eliminate leaping. Special teams as a whole are getting pretty close to eliminated.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #237
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
The league passed rule to ban leaping over the line of scrimmage to block kicks. Because fans don't want to see any form of exciting defense.
Can anyone explain to me why they did this? Was there a safety issue?
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #238
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Argument is that players are at risk by putting themselves in vulnerable positions when jumping over linemen. Could result in serious injuries if jump goes wrong.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #239
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Because the Patriots used it effectively in winning the SuperBowl
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:22 PM   #240
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Hue Jackson won't trade the No. 1 pick for a QB and other quick hits

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...rt_river_index

Jackson indicates they will stay at No. 1 and take the best player -- presumably Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett.

"There’s going to be a player that’s going to be very good for our organization at No. 1," he said. "I would not like to trade, but if there's an opportunity to make our team better, I'm sure we’ll discuss anything and everything."
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote