Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Xbox One disconnect & wireless problem

So here's my issue, and hoping someone can help.

Whenever I turn on my Xbox1, the best case scenario is I lose internet (wireless) to the rest of the house, but I can still connect to the servers and play xbox online. (Edit: XB1 is hardwired directly to modem)

Worst case is it kicks me off the XB1 randomly and shuts down internet to whole house, needing a modem reset to get back online. Just try to play a few NHL15 games and it's driving me absolutely crazy that I can not stay connected (and get a L).

Here's what I've done so far:

- Called Shaw. Said they've never heard of that before. Reset the modem (Motorola SURFBoard) on their end. Nothing changed.
- Open ports as suggested elsewhere, NAT is listed as open.
- Called Xbox. Got hung up on twice after they said "that's noting we've heard of before." and the line drops dead. Can't be bothered to wait on hold again.
- I have set my Xbox to a static IP (my router is set for 253 connections, so I set it as xxx.xxx.xxx.253). Still nothing.

My assumption was it's a conflict with the router and other devices, but even if I shut off all my other devices (phones, tab, other computers) it still happens randomly. When I turn on my phone to see if that triggers it, nothing goes off. It's really, really random.

Any suggestions would be apprecitaed. Worked flawlessly with my Xbox360 and I never, ever have a problem with the modem/router until I turn on the XB1.

I have the 50mb data plan through Shaw. Getting 47mb+ on the xbox test, 30ms ping...

I have no idea.

Last edited by Jayems; 09-21-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hardwired, you say.
Try in the following order:
1. Use a different CAT6 cable between your Xbox One and your router.
2. Check for a firmware upgrade for your router.
3. Try a different router.

You could also try running the Xbox One through a switch or see if changing it to a wireless connection helps.

I'm running an ASUS Dark Knight (RT-N66U) with a two wired PCs, XOne, X360, PS3, Smart TV, AVR, networked laser printer, Polycom CX600, and numerous wireless devices (2+ phones, a Windows tablet, a Nexus 7 tablet, and a laptop) without any issue. Why a wired appliance would knock out wireless connectivity does not make any sense to me.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In addition to above, try plugging your xbox into another port. Sounds like your xbox is causing your router to crash. Could be faulty cable, faulty port, faulty router.

It could be caused by so much garbage being sent to the router it ends up overloading when trying to correct the corrupt packets. Good luck.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CubicleGeek For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, will give that a go and see what happens.

Don't have another router, though... got this from Shaw, was supposedly a high-quality router, very fast etc etc.. Thanks.

Edit:

Looks like it had a CAT5 cable connected... must have put the old 360 cable in there. Didn't check to see if that was the one that came with the Xbox... I suspect that could be an issue?

Found a new CAT5E that came with the router -- will that suffice, or should it be a CAT6?

Last edited by Jayems; 09-22-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The general difference between CAT5e and CAT6 is in the transmission performance; CAT5e can support gigabit speeds, CAT6 is certified to handle gigabit Ethernet.

Additionally, CAT6 is better suited toward environments that are generally unfriendly to twisted pair cabling; areas that have lots of interference from things like power lines, lights, and manufacturing equipment. But in the majority of use cases, CAT5e is perfectly suitable... and in some cases preferable to CAT6 since it's more economical and performs almost as well.

I use nothing but CAT6 in my house, but again, I have a crapload of devices, and all my existing wiring and appliances are gigabit-enabled, I routinely use VoIP and HD video, etc. If you don't mind spending an extra couple bucks, go CAT6, there's no harm in it. But you've already got a CAT5e cable laying around, so just use that for free.

Now that I think about it, I *have* seen this sort of behavior before... sort of. It was my laptop with the Steam client running on it. When I was at hotels for work, I'd play some Gmod in the evenings and whenever Gmod would start pinging the servers, it would kill the wireless AP in the hotel. Just overload the hell out of it and down she went. I'd have to power-cycle the AP before it would come back. I finally figured out how to adjust the ping rate in Stream and this problem largely went away. But it never happened on the routers I used at home, just crappy hotel WAPs.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Following a suggestion online, I put my XBONE ip into DMZ. For the first time ever, it's not kicked me off the internet while the unit is on. Just leaving it on in the background for a bit to see if it'll eventually kick me off again, but so far so good.

Heard mixed reviews about it. I understand the idea of DMZ and that's it's generally considered safe for xbox -- but not on a PC.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it works, it works. I'm curious what about the interaction between the router and the console is causing the router to flip its ####. Maybe UPnP?
Old 09-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
If it works, it works. I'm curious what about the interaction between the router and the console is causing the router to flip its ####. Maybe UPnP?
I know with Shaw, they disable being able to mess with UPnP. Perhaps that has something to do with it...