Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2024, 08:25 AM   #1541
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If they thought they had the "secret formula" on this roster right now they wouldn't have tried to throw nearly $700 million at Ohtani or been in serious trade talks for Soto.

They clearly knew the offense was a serious question mark going forward, but the problem is landing either of those two was very unlikely and after them all that was on the market was more serious question marks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I know it's always easy to blame the GM or FO when thigs go badly, but I don't blame Atkins or Shapiro for this mess.

It's all on Vlad IMO. He was supposed to be Pujols or Miggy Cabrera and be the MVP bat that drives this offese, but he's flamed out spectacularly and there isn't much you can do to prepare for a disaster like that happening.

I mean yeah, it'd be nice if they developed more homegrown talent but they traded a lot of it to surround Vlad/Bo/Kirk/Springer with talent to win now, but then Vlad/Bo/Kirk/Springer all died on the vine at the same time.

Anyone who says they saw that coming is lying to themselves and living in a hindsight ruled world IMO

To be clear, the Riccardi days I'm referring to was labelling this a serious contender when it wasn't. In his days he'd sign injury prone guys and cross his fingers. In our case, it's even worse. Our starting lineup has limited upside guys who just do defence right. So when it comes to playoffs or a big situation, the chances are super low that they'll pull through because the lineup can't hit. KK, Varsho (until recently), IKF, Kirk. All have shown nothing but disappointment. I'll give Biggio a pass because 2nd basemen are limited generally across the league for whatever reason. So you have almost half your lineup where there's low chances of them coming through, but all those guys have a limited upside. So what's your realistic chances given those limitations? It was doomed from the start. As for Vlad/Bo/Springer, that's been a tough one because I don't know if anyone at all seen this collapse coming. I do think management made the right call at the time to bring in a guy like Springer, but yeesh, again, buyer be aware that almost no player should be getting a contract passed 5 years.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote