Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-28-2017, 02:33 PM   #21
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

At a lower price, its not going to be a one year deal.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:35 PM   #22
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just no way he should be over 2 million. Preferably 1.5
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:35 PM   #23
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I would love to have Engelland back, but I think he has likely priced himself out of Calgary's market. The Flames cannot really afford term or dollars on what he is likely to command on the UFA market for their bottom pairing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:38 PM   #24
Bezer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, I'd be okay with that. I mean he is a decent (ish) bottom pairing Dman with some toughness. He does need to take a pay cut tho.
Bezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:38 PM   #25
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Yeah, he's had an off year but he's bounced back in Calgary to re-establish himself in a top four role. 27 years old, UFA, top four blueliners.. he's not going to take a pay cut.
I get that this is Stone's first UFA contract, but you look at the one he's on right now... a one-year deal worth $4 million per season. Is it possible that he might've signed it recognizing that he was swapping out term for higher salary? In that case, could his salary maybe go down ever-so-slightly in exchange for a longer term, like 4-5 years?

Remember, when his current contract was signed, he was anchoring the Coyotes' top pairing with Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Ever since, he's been hurt, scratched, traded, been hurt again, and played well for about 15 games in a second-pairing role. Unless he has an unbelievable playoff, is it really all that unrealistic to expect a possible decrease in salary to coincide with his role decreasing?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Michael Stone, but with all the troubles he's gone through this year, I'd think he might sign for ~3.5 for 4-5 years.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #26
hummdeedoo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was hoping they were considering this. Always liked his play - yes contract was too much. He provides toughness and decent defense play when asked not to play too much. Some points here and there.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #27
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No chance. Engelland has established himself as a reliable bottom pairing defenseman who can take occasional shifts or play games in the top four. He will be signing what is likely to be his last multi-year contract, and will be in high demand heading into unrestricted free agency.

Engelland is getting a raise.
A raise on $2.9 million a year?

If you are right, and I'd be shocked if you were, Tre needs to thank Engelland for 3 great years and wish him all the best in the future.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #28
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Engelland strikes me as one of those guys that bring the glue to the room. He's a tough SOB that gives you a solid effort every night and he can be deployed in the bottom pairing without concern. In a division where we're still on the small side, I think you do all you can to keep him. He's going to have one helluva playoff beard too!
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southside For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 02:46 PM   #29
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like the idea of bringing back Engelland if he's willing to take a 1 year deal for half of what he's currently making. I doubt he'd be willing to, but here's to hoping he will.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #30
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

We can allocate 5 million max towards Stone and Engelland in my opinion, which means one of them is almost definitely leaving (and the obvious one would be Engelland).

The definition of a great bottom pairing defenceman, but that's a pairing you should only be dedicating 2-3 million to as a whole.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #31
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I would be a-ok with this, as long as:

a) it's a one-year deal
b) Stone is re-signed first for under $4 million

Four of the current top-six are signed through next year (Giordano, Brodie, Hamilton, Bartkowski) but Stone needs to be the higher priority.
Agree with this. Can't give a 35 year old 'off the glass and out' bottom pairing D term. When Engelland loses it, he will have nothing to offer an NHL team.

Stone is the priority - amazing how he's basically saved Brodie's season.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #32
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I would love to have Engelland back, but I think he has likely priced himself out of Calgary's market. The Flames cannot really afford term or dollars on what he is likely to command on the UFA market for their bottom pairing.
Engelland will be 35 next week, I don't think he'll be able to get a raise on a 35+ contract. Maybe Tre can retain him with a creative bonus structure which he will now be eligible for?
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #33
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not typical for a UFA to take a pay cut. Engelland is probably gone.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #34
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Also of note is Treliving is publicly stating that he ideally wants two kids in the top 7. One in the bottom pairing and one as the 7th d-man.

Hope the kids grab the opportunity.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #35
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I get that this is Stone's first UFA contract, but you look at the one he's on right now... a one-year deal worth $4 million per season. Is it possible that he might've signed it recognizing that he was swapping out term for higher salary? In that case, could his salary maybe go down ever-so-slightly in exchange for a longer term, like 4-5 years?

Remember, when his current contract was signed, he was anchoring the Coyotes' top pairing with Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Ever since, he's been hurt, scratched, traded, been hurt again, and played well for about 15 games in a second-pairing role. Unless he has an unbelievable playoff, is it really all that unrealistic to expect a possible decrease in salary to coincide with his role decreasing?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Michael Stone, but with all the troubles he's gone through this year, I'd think he might sign for ~3.5 for 4-5 years.
He'll garner 4-4.5 on the open market. Unless he takes a pay cut to stay here.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:53 PM   #36
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I like the idea of bringing back Engelland if he's willing to take a 1 year deal for half of what he's currently making. I doubt he'd be willing to, but here's to hoping he will.
I agree with a player of his age, term needs to be a concern, but for those who are getting perscriptive on wanting a 1 year deal, can I ask why?

- Is it a concern that his game will fall off after next year?
- Is it a concern that he will get too much money, so you are hoping for short term (if so that's a money issue not a term issue)?

I get the fear of a long term commitment to a player of his age, but just seems odd that the shortest of contracts is all that would be acceptable to some.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #37
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
He'll garner 4-4.5 on the open market. Unless he takes a pay cut to stay here.
I think he might, considering that his wife is from here, he knows the city, and is in a good position on a very good team.

I'd be thrilled even with a 4x4 deal. I'm just concerned that wouldn't leave much room for Engelland... and I'm not sure I would trust Bartkowski with a kid on the third pairing next season.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #38
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Engelland lives in Las Vegas during the off-season. I fully expect he signs with the Golden Knights (they're in a position to pay him handsomely as well). A veteran who has paid his dues in the minors is exactly the sort of character player the franchise needs.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #39
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting. I wonder if you could get Engelland for ~$2MM/season. I agree that you have essentially $5-$7MM to allocate on the 4 through 7 spots. Assuming two rookies on cheap ELC's that leaves you $5.5MM for the #4 & #5 spots. I think Stone and Engelland could be had for that combined.

But there's also interesting free agents out there, like Karl Alzner, for example.

Would you pay more for Alzner, at the risk of a weaker bottom pairing, or pay to have Stone + a proven 5-6 dman?

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:01 PM   #40
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

I think his UFA status will dictate Stone's value above and beyond how his past performance has been measured against his current contract. All it takes is for a few motivated parties to show interest in adding him to their roster. If he is indeed a second pairing defenseman, then I have to think that at 27-years-old he will be entertaining figures in the +$4.0 m range on the open market. Top four defensemen command a premium in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: