Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:
wranglers Condo Cooling Questions

So I couldn't find a recent thread to bump, so here I am. I need to prepare for another summer in a condo that can get quite uncomfortable as it has no AC. It would not be possible for the temperature outside to exceed that in the condo Could I get some advice on the best way to cool with this type of condo?

Both bedrooms have a casement window that opens 45° (example) and a patio door in the living room. As you can see cross breeze is non-existent. I want to buy a portable AC unit and one window fan for each room (example). I'll also be using some clear plastic sheets to essentially make each window air tight around the fans, but low key enough to keep the condo board away.

Before I start cutting the plastic sheets and installing, any advice on which way to direct the fans? Bring air in on one side and back out on the other side to try and create a cross breeze? Bring colder air in on both sides? Or expel the warmer air on both sides? Thanks in advance for any advice

Last edited by RW99; 03-27-2017 at 03:58 PM.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 04:05 PM   #2
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Portable AC units aren't strong enough to cool that big of a space. They'll cool a room of about 400 to 450 sq. ft. at best. With the set up that you've drawn, you'll get a cone of cold air about 6-8 feet long and about 6 feet wide at the most. Move out of the cone and you're in hot air again.

Last edited by Bane; 03-27-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bane For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'd just get two portable AC units, one for each bedroom, and close the doors at night.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 04:15 PM   #4
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I'd just get two portable AC units, one for each bedroom, and close the doors at night.
Or move the portable AC to one room, and get bunk beds.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Having both fans blowing outwards will initially exhaust hot air if it's near the top of the room, but that air will need to be replaced, likely from via the condo door or other source, which can also be hot. So not recommended.

Having one fan blow out and another blow in would create a draft, but it will also move the AC air to one bedroom and exhaust it, while replacing it with hot air from the other bedroom, also won't work.

Your best best is to put both fans in the doorway of each bedroom, drawing the cold air in from the floor of the living room and into the bedrooms. You don't remove any air from the apartment or draw in new air which will increase the duty cycle of the AC.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
photon

Exp:

Though the portable ones aren't designed to cool a larger space, they can knock some degrees off the top. I have a condo with a similar layout that gets no air so is hot in the summer. We had a portable AC in one bedroom and if we ran it during the day it did help keep the temperature down.

But the big thing was keeping the bedroom cool enough to sleep at night, I can distract myself from hot during the day, but I can't sleep if it's too hot.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #7
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about installing a window film as part of your heat reduction plan? It will help to keep the room from heating up in the first place.

I have a south facing office that was getting uncomfortably hot even in the winter. After applying a heat control window film a few weeks ago, the room is significantly better. I have yet to see how hot the room gets in the summer, but easily, the room feels better right now.

NOTE: The window gets hot because it's reflecting and absorbing the UV rays. But the room doesn't get as hot. Don't accidentally burn yourself placing your hand on the window on a blistery hot day.

Tip: Don't pay exorbitant costs for windows applicator spray. Make your own with 1 tablespoon baby shampoo to 400-500mL tap water (depending on whether you have any left over when "topping up). $5 buys you a full bottle of baby shampoo which will make more than you need vs approx $5-6 for a single spray bottle of windows applicator fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B22QdNHtb_8

I found this video the best. Most of the other ones were a bit lacking in their explanations.

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-27-2017 at 04:46 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 04:51 PM   #8
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I ve got a portable AC unit for sale - send me a PM and I'll get you details if it interests you

Last edited by surferguy; 03-27-2017 at 04:53 PM.
surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #9
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you own this place? If you do, I would recommend you spend the extra money and just invest in a ductless mini split ac system. Those systems have compressors that are quite small and efficient and easily can be installed on balconies.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:51 PM   #10
photon

Exp:

My condo won't let residents install those
Old 03-28-2017, 02:09 AM   #11
I am Beast
Farm Team Player

Exp:

What I did in my condo, was installed a very quiet ceiling fan in the bathroom ( replacing the old one ) that was 4 - 5 x's the size I actually needed, taking advantage of the ventilation pipe in there.
I'd turn that sucker on, crack the bedroom windows and had one hell of a breeze all night long.
My place was an average of 10 degrees cooler than another condos in the building.
I am Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I am Beast For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 06:34 AM   #12
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope it is ok to ask this here since the recommendations for OP have been portable units- Anyone have recommendation on a good portable AC for your average size bedroom? Something $500 and under. If not a specific unit, then perhaps the best brand/manufacturer?

Looking for somehing for our nursery, which means it should ideally have some sort of sleep cycle that gradually starts to slow down through the night. Maybe that aint a sub $500 feature though.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 03-28-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:52 AM   #13
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
Or move the portable AC to one room, and get bunk beds.
Plus so much more room for activities!
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #14
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Beast View Post
What I did in my condo, was installed a very quiet ceiling fan in the bathroom ( replacing the old one ) that was 4 - 5 x's the size I actually needed, taking advantage of the ventilation pipe in there.
I'd turn that sucker on, crack the bedroom windows and had one hell of a breeze all night long.
My place was an average of 10 degrees cooler than another condos in the building.
This might answer the question I had always had with my old condo. We had an air vent in all our units (bathroom usually) that were "always on" (no fan, just duct). Suction was literally strong enough to suck and hold a half full tissue box. People used to ask me all the time if I had AC in that north facing unit because it was nice and cool to the point it was almost chilly in the summer. There was no AC built into the building, but I'm guessing the breeze and venting of the heated air kept the unit cool.

This idea is worth considering IMO.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #15
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
This was my solution. The windows make it difficult to get the exhaust right, though. Sometimes those windows have a clamp on them that limits how far you can open the window, which may be pretty easy to remove - was the case for me. I ended up having a plastic-sealed window screen made smaller than the actual window so that I could use it with the portable A/C's window kit.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #16
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Hope it is ok to ask this here since the recommendations for OP have been portable units- Anyone have recommendation on a good portable AC for your average size bedroom? Something $500 and under. If not a specific unit, then perhaps the best brand/manufacturer?

Looking for somehing for our nursery, which means it should ideally have some sort of sleep cycle that gradually starts to slow down through the night. Maybe that aint a sub $500 feature though.
They're all pretty noisy, which actually might help baby sleep (though some kids like the constant white noise of the fan), but might make it harder to hear them if they're fussing (which may also be a benefit )

I don't know if there's a specific brand that's better than another, they all seem pretty cheaply made despite being not that cheap. Best bet would be to get something from, say, Costco then you can have really good return policy if something does go wrong.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #17
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post

I have a DeLonghi Pinguino 14000BTU https://www.costco.ca/DeLonghi-Pingu...100099369.html. DeLonghi is one of the more expensive ones though. Maybe a smaller BTU one would work. Mine is not quiet though
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #18
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I use one of those fans to suck air out of a bedroom, and pull air from outside, but I turn that on once the outside cools (earlier then you think in Calgary, around 7pm). These units work really well.

In my bedroom, I have a standup air conditioner with the hose going outside, it also works really well. I don't seal the window at all.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #19
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

is nudism an option?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #20
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
How about installing a window film as part of your heat reduction plan? It will help to keep the room from heating up in the first place.

I have a south facing office that was getting uncomfortably hot even in the winter. After applying a heat control window film a few weeks ago, the room is significantly better. I have yet to see how hot the room gets in the summer, but easily, the room feels better right now.

NOTE: The window gets hot because it's reflecting and absorbing the UV rays. But the room doesn't get as hot. Don't accidentally burn yourself placing your hand on the window on a blistery hot day.

Tip: Don't pay exorbitant costs for windows applicator spray. Make your own with 1 tablespoon baby shampoo to 400-500mL tap water (depending on whether you have any left over when "topping up). $5 buys you a full bottle of baby shampoo which will make more than you need vs approx $5-6 for a single spray bottle of windows applicator fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B22QdNHtb_8

I found this video the best. Most of the other ones were a bit lacking in their explanations.
I have the same problem as the OP. Looked into window films but was worried about heat buildup between the window panes cracking the glass. Is this a myth?
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote