Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #61
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Internet Shopping

Below is a blog I wrote for our dealership on Internet car shopping. I've never written a blog before and in fact outside of posting on here, and a pile of resumes a year ago, I haven't written anything for 20 years.

Over the last 10 years nothing has had a bigger effect in our day to day lives then the internet, and the auto industry is no different. From pricing to customer reviews to advertising, the internet has become a whole entire vehicle (get it?) for auto dealers. The one biggest benefit of car shopping on the internet is that geographic boundaries no longer exist. Customers can filter their searches down to exact make, model, year and price, then begin the buying process. Our large inventory and competitive pricing lands many customers from all over North America each day on our web page inquiring about buying a vehicle. The internet sales team helps local customers who may not have the time to visit us in person, or perhaps prefer to shop from rt the comfort of their own home and also helps customers from literally all over North America who prefer to experience the "XXXXX Difference".

We have had customers from all over Canada fly in, drive in, get dropped off, we even had one send an employee in on a Greyhound to pick up his new truck. We’ve sold to customers from 8 different provinces and two territories in the past year as well as to many in the Western US. Now you may be skeptical as to who would by a vehicle, especially a used one, unseen, not driven, over the internet? Well beyond (and in conjunction with)the internet, cell phones have impacted our lives as much as anything and again the auto industry is included in this as well. Having the ability to shoot videos, send photos, exchange texts and email documents gives customers a virtual tour/ showing of the vehicle and allows us to provide Car Proof reports, do trade appraisals and show sales quotes, allowing us to uphold our reputation as a full disclosure dealership. A couple of quick phone conversations with our finance manager and its as simple as that. Often times many of our internet customers do not see their new vehicle until they arrive at the dealership to pick it up or until it is delivered to their driveway or an exchange is made at a predetermined meeting place.

Our Certified Pre Owned program combined with our extensive re conditioning process allows for peace of mind purchasing of used vehicles. We have a professionally trained, knowledgeable and well versed Internet Sales Team that uses succinct, permission based engagement from real people (not computers, although we do use computers…). As well, given the warranty options available through our finance office and our offering of vehicle protection packages, XXXXX XXXXX XXX is a leader in online vehicle shopping. If you are considering a new or used vehicle, why not shop in your pajamas, visit xxxxxxx.ca and let our Internet Sales Team help you out. You can also message (and Like) us on Facebook at “XXXXX XXXXX XXX Internet Sales Team”.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 03-28-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #62
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

It really gmg's to hear about some of the awful treatment and sketchy dealings so many on here have had to deal with when buying a car. I also here the same/ similar/ worse stories on a daily basis. If any of you are looking for a different vehicle please PM me and I would really like to help you out and make buying your next vehicle and enjoyable experience.... Although we do charge a $399 doc fee.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:24 PM   #63
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
or perhaps prefer to shop from rt the comfort of their own home
Might want to fix that, if it's in the original article.

Also...kinda wish I'd talked to you before starting the new car buying process. I got a great guy, but wonder where you and I might have met up at.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:42 AM   #64
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Northwest Lexus lied to me - I had email confirmation that we had a deal, and when I showed up, sales guy is like "oh your trade in is $1000 less than we agreed to"

Moron was surprised when we walked, and his sales manager endorsed what happened.

Ended up buying from Edmonton and got a great deal.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #65
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Don't fall sucker to things like life and disability insurance coverage on any lending products. These insurance products don't offer much in the way of protection, have really high premiums for the coverage involved. If you need actual insurance coverage, call a licensed insurance broker to underwrite a policy for things such as disability/ life insurance. Insurance is important but the stuff offered at the dealership isn't great. I can go into details in another thread about why.
As a manager of a Credit Union we place insirance products on a regular basis and will continue to do so. Are they expensive? Can be. Does everyone has stand alone life and disability coverage? No. Very few do, actually.

I remember two stories in particular.

First one a member borrowed money for some hunting expenses he didn't want his wife to know about. I placed coverage and referred him to our insurance team to review his insurance coverage in depth and do a needs analysis and recommendation as he didn't have stand alone coverage. During the underwriting process he died. He was killed in a hunting accident. Insurance paid out on the loan within a week of having the death certificate and physician statement submitted. His wife came in crying and thanked me for making sure he was taken care.

Another situation a member had minimal insurance coverage (100k term) and was piecing together his life after a divorce and bankruptcy. I likely shouldn't done the loans at all, but he had 50% down on the purchases so I felt we were well secured. While he had enough insurance to cover his debts, his term insurance goal was for his child from his failed marriage. He obviously needed a comprehensive review. It was a Friday and the member phoned me and thanked me for helping him get assets (they were business related)) over last few months and taking a chance so he could get his life back together. The monday I found out from his ex that he had died at a work accident up in Fox Creek. His ex was in tears he had left insurance money to her and their child and thanked me for ensuring their debt was looked after.

I guess those are two examples where I am satisfied with placing the rip off coverage. In the first example the person didn't have any outside coverage and I was concerned about underwriting times and he was older so I felt he might be put off by high premiums. In the second example whoever sold him stand alone coverage didn't do a proper needs analysis or it had been a long time since a review happened because it wasn't going to meet his goals.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:31 AM   #66
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Northwest Lexus lied to me - I had email confirmation that we had a deal, and when I showed up, sales guy is like "oh your trade in is $1000 less than we agreed to"

Moron was surprised when we walked, and his sales manager endorsed what happened.

Ended up buying from Edmonton and got a great deal.
Years back we had made a deal with Crowfoot Honda for a used Civic. Signed the dotted line with the i's dotted and t's crossed. The day we come in to pick up the car they hand us the contract with the price we agreed on crossed out and increased by $1200. Needless to say I got a little upset and we ended up walking out the door and really the dealer never even cared or wanted to even try going half way for the difference. I expect after we consummated the deal for the car someone else came in and offered them more money. I loath dealerships and hope for a day where manufacturers sell direct like Tesla and cut out the middle men that are responsible for most of the distrust and crooked dealings.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 08:19 AM   #67
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Why are we stuck with the dealership model anyway?

Why don't manufacturers sell direct? This was what Tesla was trying to do.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:27 AM   #68
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Why are we stuck with the dealership model anyway?

Why don't manufacturers sell direct? This was what Tesla was trying to do.
Because the cars don't make enough money on their own, the real payoffs in the extended warranty and under coating and no one in their right mind would buy that crap if they weren't parked up in some a**wipes office who's laughingly called 'the financial officer' and tries to ram it down your throat while pretending to wait 'for the paperwork to clear'.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #69
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
the dealer never even cared or wanted to even try going half way for the difference.
Why would you even accept splitting the difference to begin with? If you had a signed deal there should have been zero increase.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote