Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #221
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like it has finally broken through!!

Bouwmeester has no trade value. There is no team in the NHL that feels he will improve their team playing for 6.8M/year.

The Flames fans on this board can see that someone like Komisarek and Gomez and Redden have no trade value.... They were playing a Bouwmeester level of play.

He is not a viable top 4 d-man in the same way that Komiserak is not a top 4 d-man.

If Bouwmeester were to disappear from the Flames roster (injury, buyout) someone like Scott Hannan would be worked into the Flames line up to eat up his top 4 minutes.

I would rather have Komasarek who is the Leafs 5-6 d-man at 4.5 than Boumeester. The Leafs would not make this trade as Bouwmeester has 2 years at 6.8 left and Komasarek 2 years at 4.5
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #222
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Waiving his NTC will be a problem but i still think the return for Bouw will lessen the chances of the flames making the playoffs. Just say they get a pick and prospect for him, do you think calling up Breen is going to make the flames better?

I don't like Bouw's game but he is still a serviceable top 4 d-man. Breen is not at this stage.

I do find it funny that some of the posters wanting Bouw gone for a bag of pucks, are the same that think Iggy will re-sign in Calgary if they don't make the playoffs. Not sure if you are one of them.
Chris Breen's level of caring and compete, based on watching three of his games in Abbotsford, are exponentially higher than Jay Bouwmeester's.

One of the team's supposed 'best players' gives no outward indication that he cares about the outcome of the game. He's allegedly a leader, and the presence of Jay Bouwmeester on a roster sets a tone that is conducive to failure. Anyone who disagrees with that assertion would be incorrect.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #223
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Chris Breen's level of caring and compete, based on watching three of his games in Abbotsford, are exponentially higher than Jay Bouwmeester's.

One of the team's supposed 'best players' gives no outward indication that he cares about the outcome of the game. He's allegedly a leader, and the presence of Jay Bouwmeester on a roster sets a tone that is conducive to failure. Anyone who disagrees with that assertion would be incorrect.
I would not mind seeing Breen get some ice time in Calgary, we need a big d man who can move bodies.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #224
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really liked when we picked him up, I liked having him here hoping he would at the very least provide some solid consistency to our blue line and be a good 2 way guy if not a pure offense type of player. Now its been many years, we haven't seen much of anything from him other then really soft play and the odd glimpse of something that makes you hope for more.

It just isn't working anymore, I would rather have 2 solid stay at home D that jsut keep the puck out and do nothing fancy then to be stuck with Bo....its enough now. I'll give him to game 10 to see what effect coaching will have but patience should be very thin. Superstar money and we don't even get star performance or at least consistent above average out of him.

I'm sure he is a great guy and all, I just don't think this can go on. I am one of the guys who has supported him and now again I say enough is enough.
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LouCypher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #225
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Don't get me wrong i would love to have Breen up and play. But do you really think he can play top 4? The flames can not replace Bouw, even with his compete level at low, with another 5-6-7 d-man and expect to make the playoffs and re-sign Iggy.
kyuss275 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #226
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't believe that Bouwmeester doesn't have trade value.

I don't like him for this team, but put him on a team like the Blues, who could use somebody to play with Pietrangelo, where he isn't asked or expected to be the best defenceman on the team, and I think he'd be good.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #227
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't get me wrong i would love to have Breen up and play. But do you really think he can play top 4? The flames can not replace Bouw, even with his compete level at low, with another 5-6-7 d-man and expect to make the playoffs and re-sign Iggy.
On the other hand the Flames cannot make the playoffs with Bouw anyhow.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #228
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think it might take an antagonistic coach to make Bouwmeester give a damn. Someone who specifically targets him and makes him angry because obviously nothing else works for the guy. He is a human being and has emotions, but giving him a pat on the back and lots of ice time is clearly not working. He is too comfortable and casual.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #229
calgary2220
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Either trade him or sit him, give Brodie the minutes. I don't see why people think that Brodie is all offense. He has lead the Heat in +\- for defense man the past two years. Brodie will be a top paring defense man in the NHL. And if Calgary does't think so, I'm sure some one in LA will.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #230
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agree with you about him being better on a better team, but honestly, I don't think Flames fans or management are even asking that much from him.

I just expect him to be decent and play like a $3.5 million defenceman, but so far this year, he doesn't even deserve to be in the top 6. I'd honestly rather have the other 6 guys in the line up than Bouwmeester.

None of the other defenceman who have played have made as many mistakes as BOuwmeester has so far.

I wish I could say he just needs to get up to game speed, but sadly, this movie is too similar.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #231
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If we're going to lose an astronomical number of games, I would rather see Breen or someone of his ilk scratch and claw his way around the top four creating mayhem and passion than watch C-3PBo glide around for 24 minutes.

And if Chris Butler can play on the top pair, Chris Breen can absolutely play top 4. It's going to be a learning curve, but at least there's the chance that Breen becomes a more physical, slightly faster Hal Gill that much faster.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 01-22-2013 at 07:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #232
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

I don't like him for this team, but put him on a team like the Blues, who could use somebody to play with Pietrangelo, where he isn't asked or expected to be the best defenceman on the team, and I think he'd be good.
I think Bouwmeester does have trade value. Either a similar contract would have to go back to Calgary or IMO he would be worth a late 1st round pick for a team with cap space.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #233
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
I think Bouwmeester does have trade value. Either a similar contract would have to go back to Calgary or IMO he would be worth a late 1st round pick for a team with cap space.
Florida?
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #234
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

Exactly why would the Blues want Bouwmeester at 6.8M? they already have a reclamation project in Redden at 1M cap hit.

Really who would you rather have Bouwmeester or Redden?? Redden has never played at the low level Bouwmeester has for the last 2 years. He got caught in Sather over spending and rather than blow up the whole team they just picked the biggest contract that they could get along without and buried him.

If the Flames were able waive Bouwmeester absolutely no one picks him up.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #235
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I would not mind seeing Breen get some ice time in Calgary, we need a big d man who can move bodies.

The federation would stand no chance.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brannigans Law For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #236
JazzyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hartley must be an idiot for putting Jbo out there for so long.
JazzyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #237
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyFlame View Post
Hartley must be an idiot for putting Jbo out there for so long.
He's playing fewer minutes than he played in any of the 3 years under Sutter.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #238
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Exactly why would the Blues want Bouwmeester at 6.8M? they already have a reclamation project in Redden at 1M cap hit.

Really who would you rather have Bouwmeester or Redden?? Redden has never played at the low level Bouwmeester has for the last 2 years. He got caught in Sather over spending and rather than blow up the whole team they just picked the biggest contract that they could get along without and buried him.

If the Flames were able waive Bouwmeester absolutely no one picks him up.
Someone would be foolish enough to think they could fix him if he was available for free.

Now, for teams likely to inquire about Bo should he be made available, what would we want?

Detroit: 2nd, G Peter Mrazek
Philadelphia: 2nd, D Mark Alt
Dallas: 2nd, D Brenden Dillon
New Jersey: 2nd, D Alexander Urbom

I'd be happy with any of these returns for Bo, and everyone but Dallas has a coach that should be good enough to think they can turn his career around.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #239
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Someone would be foolish enough to think they could fix him if he was available for free.

Now, for teams likely to inquire about Bo should he be made available, what would we want?

Detroit: 2nd, G Peter Mrazek
Philadelphia: 2nd, D Mark Alt
Dallas: 2nd, D Brenden Dillon
New Jersey: 2nd, D Alexander Urbom

I'd be happy with any of these returns for Bo, and everyone but Dallas has a coach that should be good enough to think they can turn his career around.
We were one of 3 teams lining up to sign Redden after he was out in Ottawa.... rumors were D Sutter offered the same contract as the NYR.

My point is, other GMs are probably not aware and obviously not at the same breaking point that we are at with this player. As far as the rest of the league is concerned, status quo, he's our overpaid #1 D.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #240
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am sure someone pointed it out. But just in case. He had been on the ice for 7 of the Flames 9 goals against. The is dreadful.

That said, game two and all that. Do the politically correct thing and wait till game 15.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post: