Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default NE USA Road Trip - Travel Ideas

Will be taking 2-3 weeks to drive the NE USA this June. So far the only thing planned is to see Washington DC (Smithsonian, various monuments etc).

What are some things that are must see/must do? Can be pretty much anywhere, big or small from Washington DC and north, but not NYC.

Scenic drives, places to eat, places to stay, hidden gems, outdoor adventures, etc

thanks
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
not NYC
Why not? "Done" it already?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Why not? "Done" it already?
yeah, been there several times, and recently, and will be there again soon, so want to see other places this time
Old 04-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Attend the 2012 Stanley Cup parade in Philly!

or there is always Delaware.

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 04-11-2012 at 11:07 PM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're in DC, Annapolis is pretty cool. Baltimore harbor and a visit to Fort McHenry, where the Star Spangled Banner was written.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
If you're in DC, Annapolis is pretty cool. Baltimore harbor and a visit to Fort McHenry, where the Star Spangled Banner was written.
what specifically about Annapolis? Naval Academy? Civil War stuff? thanks
Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #7
simmonjam1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Gettysburg is a good day trip. You can buy a CD / map package and do a self guided tour of the battlefields. I did the 2 hour bus tour and wished I got the CD instead. There's the Chocolate World at Hershey which is close by as well.
simmonjam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simmonjam1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmonjam1 View Post
Gettysburg is a good day trip. You can buy a CD / map package and do a self guided tour of the battlefields. I did the 2 hour bus tour and wished I got the CD instead. There's the Chocolate World at Hershey which is close by as well.
If you don't want to brave the crowds in Gettysburg, there is a really cool battlefield in Manassas (sp?). I have been to both and they are really interesting.

Hershey is also an interesting visit. I have had fun both times I have been there. If you are looking to do some shopping there is a pretty good outlet mall right beside the park.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

is Philly a possible option. I have only been there once and I had a day to look around. Toured the batttleship New Jersey, and also went to see the Liberty Bell and the place where they signed the constitution - I obviously barely scrathed the surface
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Northendzone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is this a family trip? What's the age range of people who are going?
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Hudson Valley north of NYC is pretty gorgeous. Also maybe consider heading out to Montauk or other areas in the Hamptons, if you're there on the weekend it shouldn't be too crowded.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
If you don't want to brave the crowds in Gettysburg, there is a really cool battlefield in Manassas (sp?). I have been to both and they are really interesting.

Hershey is also an interesting visit. I have had fun both times I have been there. If you are looking to do some shopping there is a pretty good outlet mall right beside the park.
What are you? A Reb? It's called Bull Run!
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.lfctour.com/

Playing Games in Boston and Baltimore.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
what specifically about Annapolis? Naval Academy? Civil War stuff? thanks
The Naval Academy is great. It's a fun place to walk around, especially the town center with some great historical pubs, homes, buildings, shops, churches etc. It really gives you the "birth of America" feel.

We parked near the academy, and spent the entire day looking around before making our way back to our hotel in Alexandria, Virginia (which is also a very nice town).
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
Spuds_Buckley
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Cape Cod is beautiful.
Spuds_Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds_Buckley For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone been to Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont? Pretty sure we'll make it to Boston; just wondering if it will be worth the extra time and distance to head further north. Hike the Appalachian Trail, perhaps?
Old 04-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #17
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Appalachian Trail goes right by Gettysburg, so you can tie that in if you're in that area without going too far north. Vermont and New Hampshire aren't terribly exciting, but Bar Harbor, Maine is nice and there are some great seafood shacks up the Maine coast that are worth stopping at. If you don't go that far, at least go to Kelly's Roast Beef at Revere Beach just north of Boston. Their lobster rolls aren't as good as what you'd get in Maine, but they're still pretty good, and you can't beat the location. The Freedom Trail and the aquarium are also worth doing while you're in Boston.

Depending on who you're traveling with, I'd consider stopping at the Electric Blue strip club in Connecticut. It's one of the best clubs in North America, and is right off of I-84.

If you're going with kids, though, Hershey, PA would be a nice place to spend a day. The amusement park is nice, and the Chocolate World tour is good for children.

Definitely go to Philly and eat some cheesesteaks. Spend an evening at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, but stay clear of the rest of that city because it is not nice. If you like meat, Fogo de Chao is an amazing Brazilian steakhouse, and they have locations in both Baltimore (at the Inner Harbor) and Philly.

I wouldn't make a special trip there, but if you're going from Hershey to Boston anyway, you might want to stop in Centralia, PA. It's a deserted old mining town that has had a fire burning beneath it for 50 years.

Just let me know if you have questions about any specific areas, because I've lived all over the northeast (PA, DE, CT and MA).
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #18
badnarik
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone been to Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont? Pretty sure we'll make it to Boston; just wondering if it will be worth the extra time and distance to head further north. Hike the Appalachian Trail, perhaps?
It's worth it IMO. Mt Washington Resort is nice in NH. Maine has a great coastline, great lobster rolls, and you can drive by the Bush's place in Kennebunkport.

Also check out the mansions and cliff walk in Newport, RI. You might be able to catch waterfire in Providence.
badnarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #19
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
The Appalachian Trail goes right by Gettysburg, so you can tie that in if you're in that area without going too far north. Vermont and New Hampshire aren't terribly exciting, but Bar Harbor, Maine is nice and there are some great seafood shacks up the Maine coast that are worth stopping at. If you don't go that far, at least go to Kelly's Roast Beef at Revere Beach just north of Boston. Their lobster rolls aren't as good as what you'd get in Maine, but they're still pretty good, and you can't beat the location. The Freedom Trail and the aquarium are also worth doing while you're in Boston.
Was really hoping that was the name of a whorehouse
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote