Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #21
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
well Fallout NV was made by Bethesda, who are notorious for releasing broken games with countless bugs. i didn't buy Skyrim specifically because of this (i torrented it, confirmed that it was full of glitches, and uninstalled it). reviewers should be critical of the technical issues in their games because they keep happening
For the record, Fallout NV was made by Obsidian.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #22
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
For the record, Fallout NV was made by Obsidian.
they're not much better. Neverwinter Nights 2 and KOTOR 2 both had a lot of issues at release
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #23
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

All those huge open world games seem to have a tonne of issues at launch. I can't imagine the testing is that easy but one would think they would be more vigilant.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #24
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always watch gametrailers.com reviews. Their videos are all in game footage overlaid with commentary. I find the gameplay footage is a really good way to tell if I am going to like the game or not.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraisoup View Post
All those huge open world games seem to have a tonne of issues at launch. I can't imagine the testing is that easy but one would think they would be more vigilant.
Open world games like Bethesda releases are so complex that it's just not possible control the bugs pre-release. Skyrim was mostly fine for me, FANV had some serious issues in my playthrough.

With regard to Obsidian, it's good to remember that the developer is not necessarily in charge of quality assurance. Of course it's partly the developer's job to get the game as ready as possible, but they're not who decide how much testing and bug fixing is done pre and post-release. The Fallout engine is especially bug prone and an outfit like Obsidian is not in a position to ask for more development time from the publisher. Partly it's the developer because you have to plan a project that you can actually finish in time, but a lot of it depends on the publisher.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #26
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
You can buying working versions here if you still want them. No DRM and they have sales often too.

http://www.gog.com/

I learned how to type (and quickly) from the "Quest" games.
And speak of the devil, most (or all?) of the quest games are on sale right now.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #27
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraisoup View Post
Rockstar seems pretty good at it, i didn't have any problems playing Red Dead Redemption at all. sure you had the occasional horsewoman or an animal stuck in quicksand, but nothing game breaking. in Skyrim i had to constantly reload to previous save games because something failed to trigger in the main quest, or because a town suddenly became hostile to me (with no bounty or jail options given from the guards). and if you were unlucky enough to buy it for the PS3 you had terrible game performance because of an issue with how the engine utilized memory (which they were completely aware of)

massive open world or not, Bethesda released a broken product in Skyrim (and Fallout NF, Fallout 3, Oblivion), so i hope they continue to get called out by game reviewers who refuse to give them a pass simply because "it's Bethesda". and i'll continue to torrent their releases without shame of admitting so because their products aren't worth the money at release
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #28
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I didn't have as much issues with Skyrim as everyone else it seems. I really had no problems aside from the occasional freezing. I know there were a massive amount of issues with it but the Fallout games were plagued with errors for me.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #29
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mostly had issues with the Skyrim UI, since it waso bviously optimized for console, but it was fixed pretty quickly.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #30
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of reviews, seems like there is some controversy about Resident Evil 6. Reviews are all over the board - fanboys and haters soiling themselves.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #31
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Speaking of reviews, seems like there is some controversy about Resident Evil 6. Reviews are all over the board - fanboys and haters soiling themselves.
I know nothing about RE games, but it's interesting that in the gaming world differing tastes and opinions leads to controversy. There's nothing weird about one reviewer liking something and another not liking it.

There might be a misconception in gaming that games can be classified as objectively bad or good, and I think Metacritic fuels that kind of thinking because it gives a false impression of objectivity, as if putting together enough subjective views will result in the truth about a game.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #32
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
From what I've seen and read about it, it seems like a mish-mash of different ideas and gameplay with very little over-arcing structure involved, making it feel disjointed. It's usually bad in any creative medium to not have a unifying theme, so I'm not surprised RE6 is getting trounced by most of the major reviewers. I have a feeling the varying scores have to do with those reviewers that are willing to accept it's a mediocre game, and those reviewers who are RE fanboys.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #33
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

RE really isn't as bad as some reviews make it out to be, it is by no means perfect but it isn't a horrid pile of crap either lol. If you liked 5 you will like 6. If you want it to be 1 again, it's never gonna happen.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #34
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

I'm about halfway through RE6 and it has been much better then I expected. I think Ign.com had the most accurate review 7.8.
Jbo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #35
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Explain. Is this related to Mass Effect 3 and the skewed user reviews? Or are you talking about how devs will specifically add certain things to get their Metacritic score higher?

Edit. This?
http://www.1up.com/news/metacritic-p...blems-industry
Sorry for the delay in response, but ya, that is what I'm talking about. I also don't like publishers using something like a metacritic score causing a team like Fallout: NV not getting bonuses.

Just promotes guys playing the safe route when making a game.

Finally, on RE6 again, for all the varied reviews, at least it is trying to reinvent itself. If you want a good survival horror RE game though, revelations was awesome.
Jbo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #36
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
Sorry for the delay in response, but ya, that is what I'm talking about. I also don't like publishers using something like a metacritic score causing a team like Fallout: NV not getting bonuses.

Just promotes guys playing the safe route when making a game.

Finally, on RE6 again, for all the varied reviews, at least it is trying to reinvent itself. If you want a good survival horror RE game though, revelations was awesome.
Completely agree.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote