Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-21-2007, 08:10 PM   #61
DementedReality
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

well, sorry to offend the dog lovers. you are right, you cant just take the dog out with the trash, however dogs are far too much hassle. i am not saying euthanize the poor guy, but think twice before commiting to one.

i guess its kinda late for that now though. back to your regular scheduled programming.
DementedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:20 AM   #62
Flames09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The only grass we have on our property is the front lawn, and as a girl I can tell you chain link fences are NASTY, and as someone who has nieces who are over all the time and from someone who doesn't have pets I can tell you I too would not be happy with a shared chain link fence. As you said biggest mistakes was not discussing it with your neighbour, as soon as we moved into our house our neighbour was good enough to drop by and discuss the topic with us, and now we have to wait until the home next too us is built to discuss the exact same topic. Overall either build it on the inside of your own property (if that's allowed) or go with the wood fence.
Flames09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:01 AM   #63
chris lindberg
Franchise Player

Exp:

put yourself in your neighbours shoes for a minute.
chris lindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:33 AM   #64
gordo67
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris lindberg View Post
put yourself in your neighbours shoes for a minute.
OK
If my neighbour was putting up a chainlink on their property with their own money I wouldn't have a problem, and if I did I would build my own wood fence on my property. Seems like the neighbour wants what they want and wants it paid for to boot.
I wish my neighbour would mow their lawn regularly.
gordo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:39 AM   #65
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames09 View Post
The only grass we have on our property is the front lawn, and as a girl I can tell you chain link fences are NASTY,
In Ottawa, standard chain link fences are not allowed for residential purposes.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:43 AM   #66
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo67 View Post
If my neighbour was putting up a chainlink on their property with their own money I wouldn't have a problem, and if I did I would build my own wood fence on my property. Seems like the neighbour wants what they want and wants it paid for to boot.
Exactly. As long as it isn't infringing upon your neighbour or his property, you can do what you want.

I mean where do you draw the line? He doesn't like the fence you're putting up so you put up what he wants. If he doesn't like the kind of grass in your backyard do you change it? If he doesn't like the colour of your house do you change colours?

If he's not contributing his money and/or his property toward the fence, he should STFU. A good neighbour should know that. Since he doesn't know that don't worry about what he thinks.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #67
Frank the Tank
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
Consider looking at the encumbrances registered on your title. There might be a restrictive convanent on their for some kind of common building scheme. It may be the case that such a document would restrict certain things you could do to your own property. In the case of restrictive covenants that burden all the properties in a building scheme and are for the benefit of everyone in that scheme, then they may be enforced by anyone who is interested in the scheme (i.e., your neighbor).

Negotiating like adults is never a bad move, but before you begin to put your foot down make sure you have a legal leg to stand on. Order a copy of your title and get the encumbrances too. Probably about $5 a piece.
Ah, that makes sense. I live in an older neighbourhood, so I can't imagine we'd have any of those. My street is one of those "crazy" old streets where each house was built by a different builder and all the homes look "different". I realize this is a strange and bizarre concept in new home construction.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:12 AM   #68
ZDogg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regehr_28 View Post
Actually no my problem with up keep lies in driving through old communites and you see these decreped wood fences that look like crap. Then you have the whole issue with the neighbour again in when to repair it and splitting the cost of repairs. My main hatred of wood fences stems from the fact our yard is small as it is and a tall wood fence is going to close it in more.
If you end up putting a chain link on your property and they counter with a wood fence on theirs you will eventually get the "decreped wood fence" view and probably faster since they won't be able to paint the side you view. Eventually it will end up rotting out and leaning on your chain link.

My opinion. Just go for the wood fence and split the cost. Chain link is... fugly.

Last edited by ZDogg; 05-22-2007 at 09:13 AM. Reason: grammer
ZDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:29 AM   #69
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Ah, that makes sense. I live in an older neighbourhood, so I can't imagine we'd have any of those. My street is one of those "crazy" old streets where each house was built by a different builder and all the homes look "different". I realize this is a strange and bizarre concept in new home construction.
To be fair the restrictive covenants are the ones that help a community look more pleasing. But I guess what looks pleasing is debatable. But typically they are things that restrictive people from doing ugly things to their house. For example if everyones house in the community is a earth toned colour, it wouldn't look very nice if someone painted their a red or a blue, it would stick out in a bad way. If it's a more upscale neighbourhood, then chain link fences would be prohibited. Of course these rules do waver on the line of "keeping a certain design theme" and "monotonous cookie cutter." I also live in an older neighbourhood and the variation is much better to look at. Although a lot of the older are pretty boring in comparison to a lot of the newer houses. I won't go into quality of construction or lot size or landscaping becuase the older houses will that take that one handedly.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:26 AM   #70
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Actually, I've seen some in older established Calgary communities. The ones I've seen didn't prevent you from painting your house purple with yellow trim but they did make it really difficult for developers to knock down the old house and put up an infill. The ones that strive for uniformity in appearance are typically found in the newer areas as you have already surmised.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote