Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #201
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilzeh View Post
Depends on the situation, elbowing someones face for sure ain't a nice thing.
Oh, we'll that certainly changes things.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #202
Kaine
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilzeh View Post
No, that is a part of being a hypocrite.

If you haven't figured out that most, if not all diehard fans are hypocrites and wear homer glasses regularly, then you sir are just not paying attention.
Kaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #203
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I use to chastise "Canuck fans" for not supporting their team during their lean years when it was embarrassing to be a Canucks fan but I guess I'm starting to understand how hard it is to support a team that is so woefully managed and fails to do the right thing.

I'm not going to jump ship, but I am starting to understand why they were like that. I suppose I was too hard on them.
Well I am personally shocked that it is easier to like a team that is winning relative to a bottom feeder. Going to Dome in the lean years of the late 90s was a miserable experience, the team wasn't good, the atmosphere was worse, the place was known as the library at the time.

The die hard fans won't jump ship but the casual fan won't care as much to spend a hundred dollars to go to a Wednesday night game against the Predators.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #204
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
So when I cheer for a Flames goal and boo a Canucks goal is that being a hypocrite?

Do you really find it odd that fans like when Flames players do something and have a different view when players from other teams (especially a rival) do the same thing?

Again we are not talking about a huge cheap shot here it was a run of the mill play that happens if not once a game once every game or two.
No, that's not what I'm talking about, as I said I don't know anything about the elbow, I can see now that it wasn't a big deal, but what I'm saying is that it's pretty childish to CHEER for someone who elbows a guy (let it be intentional or not, I don't care). I said "depends on the situation earlier", but hurting a guy and cheering for it (I know he didn't get hurt) is kind of over the line though.

I get it, lets just end this here, thanks, now I regret I said anything.
vilzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #205
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Alright, I just watched the extended highlights of the game on the Flames site. Those spectacular saves in the first period... did Irving do that the whole game!?
Yeah.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #206
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Alright, I just watched the extended highlights of the game on the Flames site. Those spectacular saves in the first period... did Irving do that the whole game!?
He made some really good saves, but I think a couple of his goals were pretty soft.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #207
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Fed up with hearing Iginla say "we didn't play well. Didn't have any jump. etc. erc. etc." He's done nothing. Time to pick a new Captain. Can't trade him, he's not worth anything.

The #1 line can't hit its but with a stick. They look pathetic in their own zone. Aren't scoring. Move Glencross off the line.

Czech line didn't look good last two games.

Missed Backlund's speed and jump.

Should have blown it up.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #208
craig.caulks
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I would never choose to listen to Kevin Bieksa.
I tend to doubt people who need to announce things.
craig.caulks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craig.caulks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #209
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
He made some really good saves, but I think a couple of his goals were pretty soft.
His best save of the night was at the midway point of the second on hank sedin.

Robbed him, kipper style.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #210
Vedder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Burrows' goal was a bad break, but maybe saveable. The first Schroeder goal went through him, but that goal is on Wideman for deserting the front of the net on the PK. Besides that, I don't think you can fault him. He made big saves early to keep the Flames in it, and the Flames didn't mount any offense in the last half of the game. Kipper wouldn't have fared any better (and let's not pretend he hasn't let in 5+ against Vancouver a few times).
Vedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #211
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig.caulks View Post
I tend to doubt people who need to announce things.
And I tend to doubt people who need to announce that they tend to doubt people who need to announce things.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #212
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would never choose to listen to Kevin Bieksa.
Actually the interesting thing is that he is a pretty well spoken person (for being a hockey player) and his work with mental health awareness is very impressive. Realistically I understand that he can be a bit goofy but the first three minutes of the interview shows his character.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #213
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Irving was the Flames best player last night and prevented a debacle.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #214
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Irving was the Flames best player last night and prevented a debacle.

Donīt know if that was prevented but I certainly wouldnīt blame Irving. Being a goalie on this team hasnīt been fun the last couple of years.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #215
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any major complaints about Irving are off base. Maybe he could've stopped one or two of those, but by the same token no one would've batted an eye if he'd let in one of two of the point blank chances he stopped. He didn't look amazing, but the Flames play in their own zone in the 2nd half of the game was a travesty. There were long stretches where they lost pretty much every battle for the puck down low.

From what I've seen of the Flames this season they look excellent when they can drive possession, but their play without the puck leaves something to be desired. When the team is on the attack and has the puck, additions like Wideman and Hudler make the Flames look like a completely different team from previous years. But when they face another good possession team they could definitely run into trouble because they haven't really shown the ability to effectively defend. I mean, if every game could see them own the puck like the Chicago game they'd be fine, but that's impossible.

Driving up goal differential is always the goal. If you have "uptempo" hockey that relies on forwards abandoning the zone leading to more GA you're really no closer to winning than you are playing Sutter hockey.

I still think there are some positives there though. The team's possession numbers are good and they should probably have more points than they do. But it's going to be a tough slog with the current center situation.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #216
sven
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think for the peeps that are freaking out... let's all just take a collective breath and let this game pass.
Going into this road trip (Det, Clb, Van) we would have happily taken 2 out of 3 wins. We came into the Van game missing 3 of our top 6 forwards in Cammy, Backlund and Sven. We came in missing arguably our team MVP in Kipper. Rivalry aside, we are playing the 2 time defending Pres Trophy Champs.
What did you think was going to happen???
One loss does not take away form all the good things this team is doing. Since dominating Chicago, I am really liking Hartley's style and the way this team is playing.
Let's not let 1 game wipe out all the good this team has done.
The reffing did not help the matter as well as Van having their homer play by play announcer Jimmy calling the game.
However, this is just 1 game and win or lose, as long as the Flames keep playing like they did this past week, I'm a happy camper.
sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #217
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven View Post
However, this is just 1 game and win or lose, as long as the Flames keep playing like they did this past week, I'm a happy camper.
Good for you. Most people aren't happy with the annual 9th-12th finishes however, and this season has that written all over it. It's so sad to see how far the bar has been lowered for this franchise. It wasn't too long ago that anything less than going a couple of rounds in the playoffs was a failure. Now we're just happy as long as the team tries hard.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #218
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Good for you. Most people aren't happy with the annual 9th-12th finishes however, and this season has that written all over it. It's so sad to see how far the bar has been lowered for this franchise. It wasn't too long ago that anything less than going a couple of rounds in the playoffs was a failure. Now we're just happy as long as the team tries hard.
Plus the slurpee policy for all players after every game and the fact that Mrs. Bouwmeester is paying Jay 10 dollars for a goal and 5 bucks for an assist has things looking up for the Flames.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #219
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Kipper has been taken for granted? The way some of you talk, you would think this was the first time that Vancouver has lit us up. I honestly don't think that it would have made a difference if Kipper was in net last night, especially considering the way that he has been playing this year so far.
but if that shot went it, and that bounce went our way and that shot went two inches to the left we'd totally lit them up

/browna
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #220
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Of Liberty View Post
but if that shot went it, and that bounce went our way and that shot went two inches to the left we'd totally lit them up

/browna

Honored that my opinions wind you up so much that you feel you have to put words in my mouth, rather than provide any of your own contributions to the thread.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post: