Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #21
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am a bit surprised by all the vets that were allowed to walk. A house cleaning no doubt. I was surprised by the moves but I kinda love it. Agostino, Arnold, Shore, Grant, Stevenson and Johnson are not the future of the Calgary Flames.

Poirier, Jankowski, Klimchuk, Shinkaruk, Kylington and Andersson might be. They will play all the key minutes this season. I think these guys need to dominate. They will have every opportunity to to show whether they are big leaguers or not.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:58 AM   #22
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

A team with no veterans never does well. That lineup looks dangerously raw, with no one 25 or over and very little NHL experience. Hell, Shinkaruk and Hathaway may be on the main roster come Fall. I expect a couple of veteran signings, there's no way the go forward with basically all rookies.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2016, 06:32 PM   #23
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
A team with no veterans never does well. That lineup looks dangerously raw, with no one 25 or over and very little NHL experience. Hell, Shinkaruk and Hathaway may be on the main roster come Fall. I expect a couple of veteran signings, there's no way the go forward with basically all rookies.
I don't doubt that they will sign a couple of veterans to support the kids but it would appear that they are handing the keys over to the core group of young guys on the way up. I think that you will see these guys playing in most key situations.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #24
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
So with the mass exodus of RFA's today thought we should get a thread going to discuss next season now that there is a nucleus of players to build from.

Several guys will push for spots from this list. (we hope)

Shinkaruk, Poirier, Hathaway, Hamilton, Janko, Pribyl, Kulak, etc.

Going to be a young team again, which is good IMO.

Since they cut loose several Heat main stays today, it will be interesting to see if they bring any back on AHL deals, and it will als be interesting to see if they bring in any AHL "ringers". Not this teams style I suppose, but we will see.

I assume the only player listed above that has to clear waivers to get to the Heat is Freddie Hamilton, once he is re-signed.

I for one am really looking forward to the goaltending battle. Usually it's just one actual Flame prospect goalie and several AHL fodder goalies holding down the fort. Now we will have 3 legitimate prospects fighting for ice time and at least one at a time will be down in the ECHL getting more starts there to stay busy.

I'm also wondering if the coaching change in Calgary will have a trickle down effect to this team, seeing as how Huska will be matching that system for the Heat as well.
What about Bryce Van Brabant? At the end of the year on the Fan960, Huska seemed to like his potential.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed that he wasn't qualified either. I see why they signed Vey now.

Last edited by Johnny Rotten; 07-05-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #25
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Flames are working on veterans for Stockton

http://flamesnation.ca/2016/7/5/brad...medium=twitter

Quote:
"Well, part of the process over the course of the last two years we've graduated a lot of young guys, so you've got to have opportunity for them to play in specific roles. But we've spent a lot of time here over the last few days, even before free agency, targeting certain guys from a depth perspective and also from a leadership and a veteran perspective down in Stockton. We have some things that will be on the horizon at some point."
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:12 AM   #26
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy to hear they are looking at some vets for Stockton, maybe some with some NHL chances still. Guys like Augustino and Arnold seemed OK based on reports, but that is after a full college career.

But what is BT referring to when he says they have graduated a lot of guys in last 2 years? Certainly not from Stockton.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:21 PM   #27
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Happy to hear they are looking at some vets for Stockton, maybe some with some NHL chances still. Guys like Augustino and Arnold seemed OK based on reports, but that is after a full college career.

But what is BT referring to when he says they have graduated a lot of guys in last 2 years? Certainly not from Stockton.
Granlund, Jooris, Nakladal, Ortio, Ferland, Hathaway(?). Bennett graduated from the CHL and Gaudreau the NCAA. For one team that is a fair number of graduates
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #28
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Granlund, Jooris, Nakladal, Ortio, Ferland, Hathaway(?). Bennett graduated from the CHL and Gaudreau the NCAA. For one team that is a fair number of graduates
Ferland is the only one I consider a graduate. Flames have walked away from several of these guys. Granlund is arguable, as he was traded for another prospect.

I think it is ultimately what will determine Flames ability to contend. Drafting well, and developing future impact players from their farm team. Hopefully we won't be drafting this high anymore.

Anyway, I think BT's comment was strange.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #29
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Trading or walking away from a guy after they graduate doesn't change the fact that they graduated.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2016, 08:21 PM   #30
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe we define graduate differently. I am talking about players that move through Stockton and make meaningful contributions to the big club. Obviously trades are a different beast to be sure. So yeah guys from the farm have played for the Flames but there are very few on the roster today. Most AHL players eventually move on, and every team has callups, the question is how have they helped the big club IMO.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:40 AM   #31
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Maybe we define graduate differently. I am talking about players that move through Stockton and make meaningful contributions to the big club. Obviously trades are a different beast to be sure. So yeah guys from the farm have played for the Flames but there are very few on the roster today. Most AHL players eventually move on, and every team has callups, the question is how have they helped the big club IMO.
You are the only one who would define it that way. Does that mean that high school graduates only count as graduated if they contribute to society in a meaningful way?
Old 07-08-2016, 08:32 AM   #32
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are the only one who would define it that way. Does that mean that high school graduates only count as graduated if they contribute to society in a meaningful way?
That analogy doesn't make much sense IMO.

To say you've "graduated" a prospect simply means he's made it as an NHL player.

If you're going to to take the word graduate so literally then I guess it's a terrible word to use in this situation.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #33
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the last two seasons the Flames have had the following prospects make it to the NHL:

1. Gaudreau (straight from NCAA)
2. Bennett (straight from CHL)
3. Granlund (from AHL)
4. Jooris (from AHL)
5. Ferland (from AHL)
6. Ortio (from AHL)

- Granlund has since been traded for another prospect
- Jooris back stepped this season and looks to be done in Calgary
- Ortio barely made the jump and is pretty much done in Calgary and maybe the NHL

Definitely not a great track record of developing guys through the AHL, but hopefully that starts to change beginning this season. Hathaway, Hamilton and Wotherspoon are close. Shinkaruk as well, although he hasn't spent much time developing in the Flames org.

I don't think the lack of developing NHL players can be pinned entirely on the Flames development system though, probably has more to do with the quality of the prospects because when they do have a quality prospect he seems to make it through our AHL system just fine as evidenced by Backlund, Brodie and Bouma in recent years.

Other prospects who went through our development system and now appear to be NHLers but with other organizations include Baertschi and Byron.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #34
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
That analogy doesn't make much sense IMO.

To say you've "graduated" a prospect simply means he's made it as an NHL player.

If you're going to to take the word graduate so literally then I guess it's a terrible word to use in this situation.
It makes plenty of sense. They graduated to the NHL from the AHL. It's very simple.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #35
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It makes plenty of sense. They graduated to the NHL from the AHL. It's very simple.
No it's a terrible comparison.

To graduate high school you don't have to go onto the next level.

In order to graduate from the AHL to the NHL you specifically have to go onto the next level.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #36
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

and they did

what they did once they got there is up to them, but irrelevant to actually graduating
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #37
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Huh??

Playing in the NHL does not equal contributing to society.

Players don't "graduate" from the AHL if they end up back in the AHL, or playing in a league that is not the NHL IMO.

If Ortio plays in Finland this year, you really think the Flames should be taking credit for graduating him?
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #38
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder if the Flames might be looking at a guy like Brandon Gormley on a two-way deal.

Treliving was assistant GM with the Coyotes when they drafted him 13th overall.

The Flames need guys who can be leaders on the farm team, plus Gormley has some "untapped potential" (dangerous term I know). He would probably pass through waivers rather easily and the Flames need guys who can be injury call-ups and help shield what's looking like a very young blueline in Stockton from being put in positions they aren't ready for.

I'd definitely rather a guy like Gormley than guys like Johnson. Gormley could still end up being a player at the NHL level (although it's looking less and less likely).

Last edited by Super-Rye; 07-08-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:38 AM   #39
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Rye View Post
I wonder if the Flames might be looking at a guy like Brandon Gormley on a two-way deal.

Treliving was assistant GM with the Coyotes when they drafted him 13th overall.

The Flames need guys who can be leaders on the farm team, plus Gormley has some "untapped potential" (dangerous term I know). He would probably pass through waivers rather easily and the Flames need guys who can be injury call-ups and help shield what's looking like a very young blueline in Stockton from being put in positions they aren't ready for.

I'd definitely rather a guy like Gormley than guys like Johnson. Gormley could still end up being a player at the NHL level (although it's looking less and less likely).
I think the is unlikely. I imagine they would be seeking a RH defenseman that can contribute in the top 4, especially since the only RH defensemen eligible to play for the Heat under contract are Kenney Morrison who was beyond underwhelming last season and Rasmus Andersson who may end up back in the OHL due to his conditioning.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:23 AM   #40
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who gets the next captaincy. Probably a vet that gets brought in on an AHL deal. But my vote goes to Bollig.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote