Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2017, 11:02 PM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default 2017 NFL season thread

With all teams well underway with training camps, and pre-season games starting next week i figured it was time for this.

I was stunned when i looked at the early odds today a nd saw this is where things are at to win the NFC.

Green Bay Packers +190
Atlanta Falcons +600
Dallas Cowboys +600
Seattle Seahawks +600
New York Giants +900
Arizona Cardinals +1400
Carolina Panthers +1400
Minnesota Vikings +1400
New Orleans Saints +1800
Tampa Bay Buccaneers+1800
Washington Redskins +2200
Philadelphia Eagles +2500
Detroit Lions +2800
Chicago Bears +4000
Los Angeles Rams +6600
San Francisco 49ers +10000


I dont get it. How the Cowboys and Falcons are THAT much behind GB makes no sense. In fact im not sure i would have them behind at all and indeed ahead. Maybe the smart money comes in and closes the gap there....it has to.

The AFC i do understand...i can see a healthy Brady maybe going undefeated this season...they look that good.

New England Patriots +190
Pittsburgh Steelers +700
Oakland Raiders +700
Denver Broncos +900
Houston Texans +900
Kansas City Chiefs +1200
Indianapolis Colts +1400
Baltimore Ravens +2000
Tennessee Titans +2000
Cincinnati Bengals +2500
Miami Dolphins +2500
Los Angeles Chargers +3300
Buffalo Bills +4000
Jacksonville Jaguars +4000
Cleveland Browns +10000
New York Jets +10000
__________________
Quote:
Tkachuk is more like Marchand than the other guys though. He's really ****ing good. He's just a total butthole.
Unknown Kings fan
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:29 AM   #2
Da_Chief
Franchise Player
 
Da_Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Exp:
Default

I'd agree with you, there's no way Packers are the Patriots of the NFC this year.

IF Bortles can figure out how to play QB, its a big if, then with that D and run game +4000 looks like a great bet.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Interesting.

www.dazn.com

Now owns the NFL digital rights for Canada.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 04:46 PM   #4
Sainters7
Franchise Player
 
Sainters7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: back in the 403
Exp:
Default

Chargers tell Rivers, Gates they're not allowed out of practice to attend LT's HOF coronation. Way to lose the locker room in TC.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nson-ceremony/

I like how Gates is thinking about just going anyways, despite his coach's orders. That franchise really struggles with people skills inside its own organization it seems.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #5
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player
 
Displaced Flames fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Kalispell, Montana
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Chargers tell Rivers, Gates they're not allowed out of practice to attend LT's HOF coronation. Way to lose the locker room in TC.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nson-ceremony/

I like how Gates is thinking about just going anyways, despite his coach's orders. That franchise really struggles with people skills inside its own organization it seems.
Just another reason to despise that organization.

That new logo though.....that's enough by itself.
__________________
I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love." - John Steinbeck
Displaced Flames fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Displaced Flames fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 10:25 PM   #6
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player
 
d_phaneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Exp:
Default

Conley - Raiders draft pick

Had his charges dropped by a grand jury

Turns out they did great homework, got him at 24 and up until a week before the draft when the story came out he was projected around 8-10

It's a perfect fit too, Smith and Amerson are both big corners but not very fast. Conley brings that variability. Adding him and obi in the secondary as rookies, plus a full season of Joseph at FS and Mario Edwards Jr back on the line and I think that's where the Raiders make a huge jump this year.

Marshawn is getting all the hype and it's leaving everyone but Mack under the radar on d for now
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Conley - Raiders draft pick

Had his charges dropped by a grand jury

Turns out they did great homework, got him at 24 and up until a week before the draft when the story came out he was projected around 8-10

It's a perfect fit too, Smith and Amerson are both big corners but not very fast. Conley brings that variability. Adding him and obi in the secondary as rookies, plus a full season of Joseph at FS and Mario Edwards Jr back on the line and I think that's where the Raiders make a huge jump this year.

Marshawn is getting all the hype and it's leaving everyone but Mack under the radar on d for now

According to these metrics....Raiders the likliest team to regress this season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...an-expectation

Not that i buy into a lot of this stuff, but its an interesting read just the same.
__________________
Quote:
Tkachuk is more like Marchand than the other guys though. He's really ****ing good. He's just a total butthole.
Unknown Kings fan
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:52 AM   #8
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
According to these metrics....Raiders the likliest team to regress this season.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...an-expectation

Not that i buy into a lot of this stuff, but its an interesting read just the same.
Pythagorean win expectation is one of the better advanced metrics. I've used it quite a bit over the last couple of years when picking division winners and betting on total wins with pretty decent success.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 08:02 AM   #9
bubbsy
Franchise Player
 
bubbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Ugh first Ajayi now tannehill down with training camp injury.......
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 08:05 AM   #10
Sainters7
Franchise Player
 
Sainters7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: back in the 403
Exp:
Default

Damn, I hear ya. Between the Nick Fairley possible health-related retirement, our All Pro level LT Armstead on IR, and now first round pick Marshon Lattimore spraining his knee, on top of the littany of other key players injured with coaching staff just hoping they'll be ready to go by week 1, it's really taken a lot of the wind out of my sails for the start of Saints season. Happens every freaking summer, this team is cursed

EDIT: I didn't realize at the time Tannehill's was a season-ender. Man that's brutal

Last edited by Sainters7; 08-05-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #11
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension
 
ResAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Exp:
Default

Lynch and Siemien have both looked so awful in TC that the media, including the Broncos own station, have started calling for Denver to sign Kaepernick. Gonna be a long year, hopefully Kelly is ready to take the reigns in 2018-19
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #12
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player
 
Displaced Flames fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Kalispell, Montana
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Lynch and Siemien have both looked so awful in TC that the media, including the Broncos own station, have started calling for Denver to sign Kaepernick. Gonna be a long year, hopefully Kelly is ready to take the reigns in 2018-19

Maybe Sanders will break out his Uncle Rico tweet again?
__________________
I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love." - John Steinbeck
Displaced Flames fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #13
habernac
Franchise Player
 
habernac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: sector 7G
Exp:
Default

You have linemen, Julian Edelman, they all think they are going to win. Then someone says : ”I heard Tom is really great at chugging a beer.” …. He does it, and let me tell you, you couldn’t have poured out the beer faster into a glass. It was unbelievable. – Brian Hoyer ex Patriots backup QB

Happy 40th to Tom Brady!
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #14
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player
 
Displaced Flames fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Kalispell, Montana
Exp:
Default

Two players in two days thought to have possible season ending injuries and miraculously avoid damage. Sterling Shepard and Ryan Tannehill.

Nice to hear about these instead of the Teddy Bridgewater type scenarios for a change.
__________________
I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love." - John Steinbeck
Displaced Flames fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:28 PM   #15
Galakanokis
First Line Centre
 
Galakanokis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sadly not in the Dome.
Exp:
Default

A few rookies have gone down with knee ligament damage. This time of year it is just let's get through camp with no major injuries.


What is up with Darrelle Revis? Is he just straight up bad now or is it the off field stuff keeping him unemployed? The Eagles need a corner badly so I don't see why they don't give him a shot?
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:17 AM   #16
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
 
troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winebar Kensington
Exp:
Default

Happy 40th Tom! Ring # 6 would be a great way to celebrate!
__________________
http://nwcalgarylaw.com/
http://cjsw.com/program/fossil-records/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #17
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
What is up with Darrelle Revis? Is he just straight up bad now or is it the off field stuff keeping him unemployed? The Eagles need a corner badly so I don't see why they don't give him a shot?
It has to do with the money Revis is collecting from the Jets just to sit on his ass. He apparently has to forfeit $6M if he signs for a team, so he's asking for $8M and obviously he's not worth that much.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #18
Galakanokis
First Line Centre
 
Galakanokis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sadly not in the Dome.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
It has to do with the money Revis is collecting from the Jets just to sit on his ass. He apparently has to forfeit $6M if he signs for a team, so he's asking for $8M and obviously he's not worth that much.
Ah, I knew it had to be something like that. No way I pay Revis that much no matter how desperate I feel the Eagles are for a quality corner. I am banking on a team deep at corner cutting a decent guy but man for what feels like a well put together team there is a glaring hole at corner.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #19
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Ah, I knew it had to be something like that. No way I pay Revis that much no matter how desperate I feel the Eagles are for a quality corner. I am banking on a team deep at corner cutting a decent guy but man for what feels like a well put together team there is a glaring hole at corner.
Sounds like the Bears might be open to trading Kyle Fuller. I don't know if they'd be interested in Kendricks or picks going back, but it'd worth kicking the tires.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #20
DropIt
Franchise Player
 
DropIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sylvan Lake, AB
Exp:
Default

Fingers crossed Cutler males his way to the fins
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 AM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016