Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 08:05 PM   #41
Flames09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I see where your neighbours are coming from with the whole baby situation, it doesn't matter if you think your dog is the sweetest animal in this world. BUT I also see your side but as long as your building within your property lot limits they can't do jack.
Flames09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:07 PM   #42
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

So far everybody (myself included) has seen the neighbour as being the bad guy here.

Let me throw a "what if" at you: Let's say the chain link is going to cost you $500, and plain wood will cost you $1000; and cedar will cost $1500. Now let's say the neighbour says to you "Let's put up a cedar fence instead; you just pay what you would have for chain link."

Would you be agreeable?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:18 PM   #43
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

fence disputes occur all the time. There is loads of caselaw on point. Interestingly, one of the leading Alberta cases involves a kid who was one year ahead of me in junior high and highschool.

Good advice in this thread and I wouldn't be putting up with any crap whatsoever from the neighbour.

Get the land title search and confirm that there are not any restrictions on putting up a fence. Make sure it is on your property.

If this idiot does "take other options", chances are he will talk to a lawyer who will (or SHOULD) tell him to relax and stop being an idiot. If the idiot commences his own action, be sure to launch a counter claim for half of the cost of that portion of the fence (ha ha ha).

This is a classic "Give your head a shake" kind of case. The guy is using his wife's pregnancy as an issue, but then has no concern about what sort of effect the stress of blowing this up into a lawsuit will actually cause.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:24 PM   #44
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regehr_28 View Post
Any ideas would me greatly appreciated.
1. Get his phone number.

2. Buy a FOR SALE sign.

3. Write his number on the FOR SALE sign.

4. Put it on his lawn.
Eddie Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:46 AM   #45
STAMPEDRED
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Bronze View Post
1. Get his phone number.

2. Buy a FOR SALE sign.

3. Write his number on the FOR SALE sign.

4. Put it on his lawn.
No, no, no...

You're using the wrong phone number.

1. Use your own phone number.

2. Buy the FOR SALE sign.

3. Write your number on the FOR SALE sign.

4. Put it on his lawn.

5. Refuse to accept any price over $200,000!
STAMPEDRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:57 PM   #46
Regehr_28
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
So far everybody (myself included) has seen the neighbour as being the bad guy here.

Let me throw a "what if" at you: Let's say the chain link is going to cost you $500, and plain wood will cost you $1000; and cedar will cost $1500. Now let's say the neighbour says to you "Let's put up a cedar fence instead; you just pay what you would have for chain link."

Would you be agreeable?
2 Things, one I hae already put a ownpayment on the chainlink and it is started and 2 I dont really want a tall wood fence that requires upkeep and closes in my back yard. *shrug* I realize I am being selfish too but...

Some one at work suggested these slats you can insert into your chain link fence. Has anyone ever used them do they looke decent?
Regehr_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:19 PM   #47
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Some one at work suggested these slats you can insert into your chain link fence. Has anyone ever used them do they looke decent?
It's my opinion, but I think the slats don't look decent. But I also don't like a chain link fence period. I've never liked the looks in a residential application.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:39 PM   #48
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t think you came here for hand holding, but for honest advice and input, so I’ll tell you what I honestly think.
I too would be pissed if my neighbor with a dog built a shared chain link fence without at least discussing it with me. You could have put a note on his door or something. If you already put a deposit on a fence, that’s your problem. you should have discussed it with them before putting any money into it. Even with slats, is it tall enough to give your neighbors any privacy, especially with a dog in your yard? As for your neighbor being too cheap to build a fence, isn’t it you who’s too cheap to pay for half a wooden fence?

As for legal recourse, everything has already been discussed, if the fence falls onto their property, I do believe they can tear it down. Also, make sure fence specs aren’t apart of your contract with your homebuilder.
I’d offer to pay for half a wooden fence if I were you, and then you could build what ever you want in your yard.

And no, I’m not your neighbor.
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:56 PM   #49
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

the neighbor is probably pissed because you want to put in a fugly chain link fence. build a real fence man
Old 05-20-2007, 01:39 PM   #50
OracleOfCalgary
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
2 Things, one I hae already put a ownpayment on the chainlink and it is started and 2 I dont really want a tall wood fence that requires upkeep and closes in my back yard. *shrug* I realize I am being selfish too but...

People are so flippin lazy these days... let me guess, you're also gravelling the back yard and putting wood chips in the front so you don't have any lawn to mow either... and god forbid someone puts a tree in your yard, you might have to rake... Drive through some of these new Calgary 'hoods and there is barely any greenery to be found, just wall to wall fugly vinyl siding boxes. Yuck.
OracleOfCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:14 PM   #51
DementedReality
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

i say get rid of the dog, they are not worth all the hassles that they bring. not limited to the fence either.
DementedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:54 PM   #52
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality View Post
i say get rid of the dog, they are not worth all the hassles that they bring. not limited to the fence either.

Boooooo!
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #53
Regehr_28
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OracleOfCalgary View Post
People are so flippin lazy these days... let me guess, you're also gravelling the back yard and putting wood chips in the front so you don't have any lawn to mow either... and god forbid someone puts a tree in your yard, you might have to rake... Drive through some of these new Calgary 'hoods and there is barely any greenery to be found, just wall to wall fugly vinyl siding boxes. Yuck.
Actually no my problem with up keep lies in driving through old communites and you see these decreped wood fences that look like crap. Then you have the whole issue with the neighbour again in when to repair it and splitting the cost of repairs. My main hatred of wood fences stems from the fact our yard is small as it is and a tall wood fence is going to close it in more.

And no I am not gettin rid of my dog
Regehr_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:26 PM   #54
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Why should he have to get rid of his dog, it's not a crime to own a dog. People who think you can just get rid of a dog really don't get it. It's not like an old couch, especially if you are a responsible pet owner, a dog is likely worth more to you than staying in your house and putting up with jerk neighbours.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:33 PM   #55
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the neighbor doesnt want to go half on a wood fence, then build whatever the hell you want on your side of the property. Your happiness and what you are comfortable with is far more important than your neighbors or anyone else for that matter. Your life, so live how you want.

If you like a chain link fence for because it is easier to take of, then that is your right and decision. Your house, your yard, etc...you catch my drift.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:44 PM   #56
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Why should he have to get rid of his dog, it's not a crime to own a dog. People who think you can just get rid of a dog really don't get it. It's not like an old couch, especially if you are a responsible pet owner, a dog is likely worth more to you than staying in your house and putting up with jerk neighbours.
Dogs are part of your family, they're not just a possession. Hell I'd give my left nut and my right leg for the chance to say goodbye to mine (he died while I was away for school, cancer took him suddenly and quickly). That's not to get him back, that's not to spend another day with him, that's my left nut and my right leg solely to say "goodbye".

If you're not a pet lover, to each their own, but realize how much they can mean to people, to say "just get rid of them they aren't worth the hassel" I respectfully disagree, Turk meant the world to me

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:10 AM   #57
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #58
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Old 05-21-2007, 12:13 PM   #59
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

As for the actual fence debate, a couple of people have said that they think that chain link is ugly... I agree - somewhat.

In alot of new communities they use chain link and it looks pretty good. IT's not always the typical silver; there is black too.

To the thread starter: if you're in good taste, and following the scheme of the community, go for it, man. But I'd like to add that it would have been prudent to discuss with your neighbour first. Its called "new community etiquitte".
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #60
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OracleOfCalgary View Post
maybe you should actually do some reading up on what people are doing with their landscaping these days. It's called xeriscaping and a lot of municipalities are encouraging it these days because of fears of water shortages. It doesn't mean that their entire backyards would be gravelled but they wouldn't be sodded either. Before you go making assumptions that people have wood chips and gravel in their yards because they are lazy maybe you should think about other factors such as allergies or just plain old personal preferences..

Last edited by return to the red; 05-21-2007 at 12:48 PM.
return to the red is offline   Reply With Quote