Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2015, 08:06 AM   #1
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon39 Flames @ Coyotes, 7 pm, SNF

Flames: 8-13-1, 17 points, 6th in Pacific, 13th in West, 29th in NHL.

Coyotes: 11-9-1, 23 points, 4th in Pacific, 9th in West, 18th in NHL.

There was a lot of disappointment and anger over the last game amongst the fans. Fair enough. The Flames had a good lead in the 3rd and shat the bed, and did so in a building that has a lot of bad history for the Flames. The team has just not been able to perform in crunch time, resulting in some awful goal differentials in the 3rd period, and the absolute worst goal differential in the league overall (-27). Part of that is a 8.35% team shooting percentage (ranked 22nd), but the most obvious part of that is a league worst 88.1% team save percentage. We knew this team couldn't maintain some of the numbers from last year, but that's some serious overcorrection that seems "unsustainable". That's despite the solid play of Ramo over the last few games. The 5 on 5 goal ratio isn't good but it isn't terrible either, with a goal ratio of 0.75. The Flames are actually 1st in the league with percentage of goals coming 5 on 5 with a ratio of 84.9%. That's because the special teams have been absolutely abysmal. The power play is ranked 29th at 13.8% and the penalty kill is ranked dead last at 72.1%. That's a combined percentage of 85.9%. You're considered good at special teams if the combined percentages total 100% or more. It was noted at practice yesterday that Gelinas was furious at the team for not working harder on the special teams in practice.

But enough about the disappointments of this year, we move on to the next game to face an improved Arizona Coyotes squad who has been rejuvenated by some young players making an impact. Domi and Duclair have stepped into a top 6 role effortlessly and added offense to a substandard group. The Coyotes rank 12 in offense with 2.81 GF/G despite having the 25th ranked PP at 15.7%. That offense is coming despite their low shot counts, ranked 27th with 28.1/G. That means they have exactly 10% shooting percentage...a number we all know to be unsustainable. They are still struggling to keep the puck out of their net though, ranked 25th in GA/G with 2.90 (not early as bad as the Flames' 3.59 though...dead last by a fair margin). That is despite a good PK at 81.5%, good enough for 13th in the league. It's odd to see a Tippett coached team struggle defensively 5 on 5, as that's what he's traditionally focused on and had the most success with. They struggle to keep shots against down, but that's to be expected with a defense group that isn't overly mobile beyond Ekman-Larsson. Part of the problem has been Mike Smith, who is either lights out good or laughably bad. In his last 10 games he's had 5 games with 2 goals against or less, all with save percentages of .930 or above. In the other 5 games he's had a GAA of 3.00, 5.00, 6.00, 7.03, and 27.07, with save percentages that range from the poor .889 to the awful .333. If Smith is good tonight the Flames will probably lose. If he's off, it's an easy win for the good guys.

Roster Notes: Ortio has cleared waivers and been returned to Stockton as Markus Granlund was recalled. Ladislav Smid is continuing his conditioning stint in Stockton. The thought is that Granlund will play tonight with Jooris and Bollig sitting and just 6 defensemen on the roster. Ramo is the confirmed starter. Lines are based on the most recent practice.

Flames
Gaudreau-Monahan-Jones
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Colborne-Granlund-Hudler
Ferland-Stajan-Raymond

Giordano-Brodie
Russell-Hamilton
Engelland-Wideman

Ramo

Coyotes
Rieder-Hanzal-Boedker
Domi-Richardson-Duclair
Martinook-Vermette-Doan
Chipchura-Gordon-Cunningham

Ekman-Larsson-Stone
Dahlbeck-Michalek
Grossman-Murphy

Smith

Go Flames Go!!!!!!
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sharing a pre-game snack with his pal Cookie Monster:

Spoiler!

Go Flames

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Coyotes will be wearing their 3rd jersey tonight:

Spoiler!
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #4
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully the Flames cause Smith to engage in his usual histrionics and get him off his game. I'd be fine with Domi and Duclair having bad games as well.
Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love that jersey.

I think tonight will be a high scoring game for both teams, I really like the kids on the coyotes this year.

Final score 7-5
Old 11-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since they are still mathematically alive I suppose we have to consider this a huge game for the Flames given the Coyotes are standing between them and a playoff position. If the team is truly going to make some sort of Cinderella run it can't continue to hand points to teams ahead of them like the Coyotes and Ducks.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #7
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hudler on the 3rd line to start.

But I'm sure he was just benched due to his health. No message sending. Nothing to see here.
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #8
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
Hudler on the 3rd line to start.

But I'm sure he was just benched due to his health. No message sending. Nothing to see here.
Benchings can't melt steel beams
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #9
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come on flames get me back interested in the season here. Such a huge disappointment so far this year on all fronts except Johnny, Monahan, Bennett and Brodie.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #10
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Come on flames get me back interested in the season here. Such a huge disappointment so far this year on all fronts except Johnny, Monahan, Bennett and Brodie.
You expected more from Frolik (on pace for 20G, 55P)? Jones (on pace for 25+G)? Stajan (one of four non-minus players on the roster despite getting all the hard matchups and most defensive zone starts)?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #11
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
You expected more from Frolik (on pace for 20G, 55P)? Jones (on pace for 25+G)? Stajan (one of four non-minus players on the roster despite getting all the hard matchups and most defensive zone starts)?
To be fair, Stajan and Frolik have seen the most PK ice time for forwards. So you could make the argument that their PK work has been inadequate thus far.
JJ1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJ1532 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #12
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1532 View Post
To be fair, Stajan and Frolik have seen the most PK ice time for forwards. So you could make the argument that their PK work has been inadequate thus far.
True - then again, Brodie averages the most PK ice per game among D.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #13
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Meh.

Hoping Johnny and Sam have good games. Not getting worked up about the result anymore. Not worth it.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #14
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to see the Flames pitch a shutout in the third period. All three periods would be nice, but baby steps.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #15
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've pretty much accepted what this team is this year (not a good team). No need to panic, just hoping to see strides made by Bennett, Gaudreau, Monahan and our other young players.

An additional top 5 pick this coming summer alongside the experience we gained last year (and the hard lessons we're learning this year), still have the rebuild off to a good start.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #16
playmaker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm not sure about Russell-Hamilton pairing. I'd really like to see Hamilton paired with more defensive-minded dman such as Nakladal.

Hoping for a win tonight !
playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #17
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Looks like Hudler back on top line:

Derek Wills @Fan960Wills
#Flames Bob Hartley told @fan960lou and me he plans to go back to his "regular" lines, with Hudler on right side of Gaudreau and Monahan.

and looks like Doan may be scratched:

Sarah McLellan @azc_mclellan
During line rushes, Doan is skating with Scott and Downie. Everyone else the same as last game: 8-11-89/12-50-48/16-37-10/24-15-22.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #18
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Dennis Wideman, I do not like you. Hopefully he loses his equipment tonight, we'd be better off with 5 d. He needs to get it together.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #19
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go Flames go!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #20
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I've benched Hudler and Gio on my Fantasy team. That's what this has come to. Hudler is riding the pine over Nugent-Hopkins. Do you know how dirty that made me feel?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote