Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #21
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If a player gets assigned to the AHL on a conditioning stint they continue to make their NHL salary regardless of whether they're on a one-way or a two-way deal.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey Fan #751 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #22
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Granlund might be a bit 'meh', but at this point 'meh' would be an upgrade in many positions. He's pretty solid defensively and generally reliable, if not remarkable player. Since consistency and defense have been weaknesses, he might actually help.

In any case there's clearly a center spot up for grabs right now.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:28 AM   #23
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Don't think we see any moves until after Christmas. Early new year I think we some movement. When is Bouma due back?
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:50 AM   #24
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The only moves we're likely to see are selling some of Hudler, Wideman or Russell.

Only year three of a five year rebuild. Stay focused.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 07:25 AM   #25
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't forget Jones!
blender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:28 AM   #26
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually think Jones will be re-signed. The Flames are thin on size up front, and if they move Jones they'll be looking for a veteran winger with size in free agency.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #27
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Treliving sounded really tired in the part I heard. Pressure must be immense.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #28
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Treliving sounded really tired in the part I heard. Pressure must be immense.
No kidding. Sometimes people forget being an NHL GM is one of most difficult jobs out there.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #29
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Barring an injury or trade to Ramo or Hiller, I wouldn't be surprised if Ortio has played his last game as a Flame. Especially if he did in fact refuse a conditioning stint.
If the Flames fall out of a playoff contention, and I think that is likely, I think he is called up and gets a bunch of starts.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #30
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOGUN View Post
No kidding. Sometimes people forget being an NHL GM is one of most difficult jobs out there.
Funny how Darryl did arguably his best work as GM when he was juggling it with coaching.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #31
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
still kind of ticked off that the quote from Treliving implies Ortio would not consent to a conditioning stint
He has the right to refuse. Tough to blame a player for doing what is best for his career. You work most of your life to get into the league.

I think it was ultimately a poor decision. But at the time he and his agent were probably trying to force the Flames to give him some starts or expose him to waivers.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #32
MoreDrank
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Funny how Darryl did arguably his best work as GM when he was juggling it with coaching.
But Darryl was a terrible, terrible GM.
MoreDrank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoreDrank For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #33
Petert
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Darryl got us Kipper, BT got us into this 3 goalies disaster.
This one is all on BT, didn't help that Hartley is stubborn and hell bended into screwing his un-favours.
Petert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:01 AM   #34
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
I can't help but wonder how different this season would be if BT secured one of the goalies he was said to be targeting in the offseason... it's really too bad we're looking at 3 very much average or less options for this season. Have to pray Hiller finds some fortitude here...
I don't think we can say that BT didn't at least try. From all reports, he efforted for both leiner and talbot. I'm happy he paid a 1st for Hamilton, and not the other 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
I got the same impression as sureloss, that Ortio did indeed not consent to a conditioning stint.

I wonder what else he could have meant by that line?
That's his right. Though I disagree with his position, I still think he has a future. Kipper lost his spot in SJ because he was a perennial slow starter. He needed to play out of it. What ortio needs to do is be better in practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Barring an injury or trade to Ramo or Hiller, I wouldn't be surprised if Ortio has played his last game as a Flame. Especially if he did in fact refuse a conditioning stint.
I think he is the most likely Flames goalie to be back next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Ortio contributed mightily to that asset devaluation with the numbers he put up too.

As for Granlund, I'm hoping for magic. Same as all season.
Ortio is fully to blame for his own personal situation. Obviously both he and the Flames see a future. I personally think he is more capable or being a 60 game starter than either of hiller or Ramo. If he doesn't practice hard and knows he starts every year slowly, than it is incumbent on him to change. I hope it's not to late for him to figure it out.

Even after kipper was a Vezina nominee, he was still a slow starter. His advantage was that he was already a Vezina nominee.

I think europeangoalies in general need to learn that u can't just play yourself into shape!
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:11 AM   #35
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I actually think Jones will be re-signed. The Flames are thin on size up front, and if they move Jones they'll be looking for a veteran winger with size in free agency.
Agree. If I'm not mistaken, he and Jooris are our only right handed forwards!
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:09 AM   #36
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moves made by Brad Treliving:

Signs David Wolf to a one year deal. My problem with it when it went down, you brought in another body to take time away from players with longer term potential. Okay move, just didn't pay-off.

Trades a 3rd round pick to Chicago for Brandon Bolig. Didn't like it when it went down and don't like it now. Don't see the attraction to Bolig at all. If you want a thug, you keep McGrattan. If you want a hockey player, you get almost anyone but Bolig. Bad hockey player with little value to the hockey team.

Signs Paul Byron to a one year deal. Didn't like it then, didn't like when he did it again this past summer. Yes, he was fast a tenacious, but he didn't produce anything. Was glad to see him lost on waivers so we would have one less distraction in player personnel going forward. We have better players being over-cooked in the minors.

Signs Deryk Engelland to a three year deal. Wasn't happy when he dis this. Have been less than impressed over the tenure of Engelland. I like that he brings leadership to the dressing room and some toughness to the back end, but he makes way too many mistakes for my liking. Still, as a depth signing this one has had some positives.

Signs Mason Raymond to a three year deal. Hated it when it was announced and hate it even more today. Horrible signing and a waste of a contract.

Signs Jonas Hiller to a two year deal. Thought it was a bad move when the signing was announced and nothing has changed. Mr. Shooter Tutor was bad his last year and a half in Anaheim and that trend has continued in Calgary. He provided adequate goaltending for a stretch last season, but looked bad when it mattered. Can't wait for this contract to expire.

Signs Raphael Diaz to a one year deal. Was disappointed over this signing. Didn't think he was NHL talent nor had NHL size. Thought is was more of a decision driven by Bob Hartley than by Treliving.

Signs TJ Brodie to a five year extension. Fantastic decision! But how could you not make that decision? The kid was looking like a stud.

Trades Corbin Knight to Florida for Drew Shore. I didn't like this deal when it happened and still don't. Didn't see the attraction in Shore and didn't like the message it sent to college players willing to sign here. I mean, we traded the guy back to the team he didn't want to sign with in the first place! The trade was a dufus-for-dufus move, but the optics were a little ugly.

Trades Curtis Glencross to Washington for a 2nd and third round pick. Solid move. Anything for Glencross was a good move. I think the guy was a distraction and sometimes you have to move distractions for the team to get better. This was a good move.

Claims David Schlemko off waivers. Good move, simply because we needed a defender at the time.

Trades Sven Baertschi to Vancounver for a 2nd round pick. See Curtis Glencross. Solid addition through deletion.

Signs Jakub Nakladal to a one year deal. I liked the deal when it was made. I just haven't been too enamored with how he's been handled since then. This is more on Bob Hartley than anything.

Trades a 1st and two 2nd round picks for Dougie Hamilton. Great move! Should be a cornerstone player for years to come.

Signs Dougie Hamilton to a six year deal. Another great decision. Hamilton and Brodie will be foundation players for the next decade.

Trades Max Reinhart to Nashville for a 4th round pick. Good move for both the Flames and for Reinhart. Treliving does a guy a solid by moving him to another organization.

Signs Karri Ramo to a one year deal. I liked the deal only because there were indications that Hiller was headed out of town. Without the Hiller trade this was a horrible decision. The three headed goaltender mess killed the season before it began.

Signs Michael Frolik to a five year deal. Good signing. Frolik is a very solid player and should be a fixture in the top six.

Signs Lance Bouma to a three year deal. Wasn't happy with the dollars he spent on Bouma. I don't see anything in Bouma that I didn't see in Brandon Prust. Guys like this are a dime a dozen and paying one over $2M a season was just plain dumb. In a cap world you have to account for every penny, and I think Treliving grossly over-paid Bouma. He should have been a $1-1.5M player (see Bolig). If he had come in at this number I would have said great signing. I just see too much money being spent on a player that will not attain the same heights of last season.

Signs Josh Jooris to a one year deal. Meh. Take him or leave him. I think we have better players in the minors.

Signs Turner Elston to a one year deal. Meh. Take him or leave him. I think we have better players in the minors.

Signs Paul Byron to a one year deal. See Paul Byron above.

Signs Mark Giordano to a six year deal. Liked the term, wasn't happy with the money. I understand that Gio is the captain but you pay for what you are getting in the future, not what has been done. Gio is going to be sliding into his twilight years soon and that has to be taken into consideration. Same with his injury history. I think he over-paid, but I can understand why he would. I hope this one doesn't handicap the team down the line.

Signs Michael Ferland to a two year deal. Good signing.

Trades a 5th round pick to Colorado for Freddie Hamilton. Still don't get this one, unless this was a condition of Dougie signing, which I think would be a bad condition for a signing.

So far I think Treliving has been a middling GM. Much of his success has been more of a result of the work of Jay Feaster, but very incoming GM sees this halo effect happen to some extent. I think Treliving is trying to put his mark on the NHL team but he isn't getting the cooperation needed from Bob Hartley. I think Treliving needs to Billy Beane a few guys and send them packing just to take them away from Hartley and force his hand. I guess this is where we will really see the true Brad Treliving surface. As he deals with UFAs Kris Russell, Jiri Hudler, David Jones, Jonas Hiller and Kari Ramo, We'll get an idea of his ability to think long term. As he deals with problems like Brandon Bolig, Mason Raymond, Mikael Backlund and Dennis Wideman we'll see his ability to improve the hockey club and do the tough things general managers are expected to do.

Right now I think the jury is out on Treliving and a judgement will come down by the draft as to whether he's any good at what he does. So far the bag has been really mixed, with him making some good moves for the future, but some really bad moves for the now.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:42 AM   #37
cofias
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I still have a lot of confidence in Brad, he seems like a really smart guy who thinks long-term and is pragmatic. Not all of his moves so far have worked out but he is young and still learning a lot every day. I think if we stick with him he will reward us with results down the line.
cofias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:09 AM   #38
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

David Wolf was not a Treliving signing. It was a Brian Burke signing.

German outlets reported that he agreed to sign with the Flames in february, 2014.

Treliving was hired in April 2014.

While Wolf didn't officially sign until after Treliving was hired that was because of IIHF regulations.

Last edited by sureLoss; 11-28-2015 at 08:16 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #39
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this coming summer will be an important one for Treliving.

Lots of core pieces are already in place and we're on track to draft in the top 5.

The biggest challenge he faces in the summer to come?

1. Work with Hartley to correct the systematic faults.
Hartley needs to re-work the 200 foot game he has the troops run. Focus needs to be on puck possession, not low percentage stretch passes. Defensive zone structure needs a complete overhaul.

2. Find a #1 goalie.
Ben Bishop via trade?

3. Gaudreau and Monahan extensions - is there any magic to work?
Risk/Reward with Bridge Vs. No-Bridge. Plenty examples on both sides - Subban shouldn't have been given a bridge-contract, Nugent-Hopkins should have been given a bridge-contract.

Last edited by ComixZone; 11-28-2015 at 08:32 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote