Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #81
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Every single time Bennett played for Team Canada at the u18s or Ivan Hlinka or u17s or World Junior summer camp he has been moved to LW.

Sportak a few weeks ago on 960 reported that had an interesting talk with Bennett's Kingston coach Todd Gill during training camp(who is now an assistant in Stockton) and he said that Gill would not say that Bennett is a natural center. It was something he had to work on very hard at in junior. Will likely take some time for him to learn at the NHL.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #82
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Bennett has played center in the NHL this season (vs Ottawa, vs Edmonton, vs Avalanche) I thought he looked more comfortable, quicker, more explosive, and more defensively present than any center we have other than Backlund.

He has some rough areas he needs to iron out though. Faceoffs and positioning-wise sometimes he got burned but those are natural occurances for a guy learning a new system in a brand new league. The leash was too short as he was showing signs at center that the team probably has not had since Nieuwendyk or prior.

His natural talent has allowed Hartley to cut corners and put him at wing for now. But really, the best thing for Sam's development would have been a year in the AHL learning center at the pro level. That wasn't possible as it meant wasting another year in Kingston first where it was IMO obvious he wasn't going to learn much. His birth date prevented him from getting the AHL treatment.

In Granlund's case, he spent his first year in NA in Abbotsford and pretty much knew the ins and outs of center as a pro before he really made his debut last year. But he just doesn't have what it takes to succeed at the NHL level at the position. I don't think Sam's played his best hockey at LW for us. He's been a good LW on the Backlund line - but I saw a much more dominant player in all three zones at C.

It's still my opinion that Granlund is better suited to wing and Bennett to center, but I understand Bennett at wing just due to pro experience. Granlund at center however makes no sense to me as it is actively putting the player in a position to fail.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 11-27-2015 at 10:35 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #83
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

With Treliving bringing up faceoffs as an area Markus needs to improve on, it seems to me the org views him as a center. Maybe there's a reason they don't want him on the wing? I don't know what it would be, but they seem very reluctant to put him there for whatever reason.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #84
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hope that the flames play him steady for the rest of the year. Give him time/opportunity and see what he is and if he can fit in on the team.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #85
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I hope that the flames play him steady for the rest of the year. Give him time/opportunity and see what he is and if he can fit in on the team.
I don't see that happening until Treliving taps Hartley on the shoulder and tells him the playoffs are a pipe dream and it's time to see what they have in some of their older prospects. Granlund is going to have to play not as good but much better than say Jooris to stay in the lineup as that's just how Hartley rolls with the younger players.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #86
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Put me in the boat that doesn't want to see Bennett playing wing. He's played great as a centre this year, both offensively and defensively. He back-checks as hard as anyone except maybe Backlund.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #87
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't see that happening until Treliving taps Hartley on the shoulder and tells him the playoffs are a pipe dream and it's time to see what they have in some of their older prospects. Granlund is going to have to play not as good but much better than say Jooris to stay in the lineup as that's just how Hartley rolls with the younger players.
Treliving could just Billy Beane it and trade away, waive or demote anyone he doesn't want playing!

Have to imagine it's not a big deal, the younger players will get more ice time as the season progresses I'd imagine. Frustrating as a fan, always want to see the kids, especially when you're losing but they'll play. Hartley doesn't warm up to knew players quickly.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #88
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should be coaching and playing like the playoffs are out of reach. Take the pressure off, roll out a bunch of kid with something to prove.

I figured Granlund was going to ride the press box train for his stint but Hartley surprises me and gives him 4th line minutes. At least with Hartley we know the lines get shaken up every 7 minutes or so during a game. So Granlund will probably not be 4th line all night.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #89
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
They should be coaching and playing like the playoffs are out of reach. Take the pressure off, roll out a bunch of kid with something to prove.
You really shouldn't have to rely on the playoffs not being a realistic possibility for the chance to insert some youth in though. It should be a merit of rewarding their performance when one or more of the vets are not playing up to scratch.

Derek Grant got put in and made a great impression. Granlund might also make a good impression. I'm hoping this opens the doors up more to recalling bodies from the AHL in the future, because it's produced good results so far.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:13 AM   #90
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I figured Granlund was going to ride the press box train for his stint but Hartley surprises me and gives him 4th line minutes. At least with Hartley we know the lines get shaken up every 7 minutes or so during a game. So Granlund will probably not be 4th line all night.
Ummm, Hartley changes lines less than our last 3 coaches.

Hartley has left the lines more or less intact more than any coach I remember.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:54 AM   #91
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol lowest ice-time at 6 minutes and 14 seconds. Thats lower then what the likes of Bollig and Raymond get.

Carry on Jack Adams.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2015, 11:58 AM   #92
Petert
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Preparing for Raymond to draw in and automatically "earned" his PP times already.
Must be killing it during practices.
Probably should slot in with Sean and Johnny too.

We have to "change" something, according to some posters' justifications.
Petert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #93
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Lol lowest ice-time at 6 minutes and 14 seconds. Thats lower then what the likes of Bollig and Raymond get.

Carry on Jack Adams.
What a joke. I can't imagine too many of our farm hands are overly enthusiastic about their chances with Hartley around.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:22 PM   #94
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If we are winning and fighting for a playoff spot fine give him 6 minutes. If not let him play and learn. Hartley is starting to frustrate me.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:51 AM   #95
Petert
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Clocked at 13:02 in the San Jose game.

Players with fewer minutes:
Backlund 10:53
Jooris 11:24
Ferland 11:57

Next higher player:
Colborne 13:16

18 shifts count is still the second lowest to only Jooris' 17.
Backlund, Colborne and Ferland all tied at 19.
Petert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:31 PM   #96
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Move Backlund, give his spot to Granlund. He seems to be able to gel well with any of the younger players the Flames deploy Bennett, Gaudreau, Ferland, Jooris. He's just got a bit more to offer offensively which is what the Flames need. Please Hartley, feed this guy some good ice time.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #97
MoreDrank
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Move Backlund, give his spot to Granlund. He seems to be able to gel well with any of the younger players the Flames deploy Bennett, Gaudreau, Ferland, Jooris. He's just got a bit more to offer offensively which is what the Flames need. Please Hartley, feed this guy some good ice time.
They aren't even in the same discussion. Granlund is a far inferior player in all aspects of hockey than Backlund and it's not close.
MoreDrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #98
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Didn't watch the game last night. First time I skipped a game in two years, thank god. How did he play tho ?
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:12 PM   #99
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreDrank View Post
They aren't even in the same discussion. Granlund is a far inferior player in all aspects of hockey than Backlund and it's not close.
Considering how much more experience Backs has, I think it's a little closer than you seem to. Granlund has earned a spot IMHO .. at least on this version of the club, which seems to have completely gone back into the rebuild mode .. give him icetime!! I like Backlund but he seems to be fighting it a bit this year.
flame^thrower is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flame^thrower For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2015, 04:18 PM   #100
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame^thrower View Post
Considering how much more experience Backs has, I think it's a little closer than you seem to.
Backlund at the same age was a better two-way centreman than Granlund is now.

However, I do think Granlund has better offensive skills. Which is why I think he's a better winger. Granny and Backs are not competing with ice time in my eyes because they should not be playing the same position.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: