Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2015, 01:32 PM   #141
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I really wouldn't get my hopes up for returns for Hudler or Jones. Second tier wingers generally do not get much. Cammalleri couldn't even garner a 2nd round pick and Jones is no better than Glencross, who although returned two 2nds was pretty much a disaster for the Capitals, I don't see teams making that mistake again. Russell might return a 2nd as defensemen are always needed come playoff time.

This year's tradeline could be significantly impacted by Stamkos situation. If he's not signed, he's going to get traded and like Kesler two years ago, that might stall the entire trade market and Treliving could be stuck without a trade partner for Hudler and Jones, who really are not significant pieces to add to a Stanley Cup contender.
I know he is having an off year like most Flames but explain how a 70+ point player in Hudler is a 2nd tier winger?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:36 PM   #142
adc
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I know he is having an off year like most Flames but explain how a 70+ point player in Hudler is a 2nd tier winger?
I think the easiest explanation is that 70 point Hudler was an aberration and that the 50-55 point player that he has been for 90% of his career is a 2nd tier winger.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adc For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2015, 01:36 PM   #143
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
- has only ever hit 60+ points once in his career
- not a notable possession forward
- not a notable defensive forward
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #144
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

EDIT: wrong thread. Thought I corrected it earlier.

I'm starting to get visions of Jesee Puljujarvi in a Flames jersey dancing around in my head.

Last edited by dammage79; 11-28-2015 at 02:47 PM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:22 PM   #145
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Randy Sportak ‏@SUNRandySportak 4m4 minutes ago
#Flames to start Jonas Hiller tonight in goal vs. Sharks. No other lineup changes planned.
Because if it's broken, don't fix it!
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #146
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Because if it's broken, don't fix it!
Hmm, thought I did.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #147
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hiller with great practices.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #148
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I think the easiest explanation is that 70 point Hudler was an aberration and that the 50-55 point player that he has been for 90% of his career is a 2nd tier winger.
It comes down to how hudler is playing at the deadline. If he's putting up decent points on the top line, he's going to get a decent return. A consistent 55 point winger with a Cup ring is always going to have value.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:43 PM   #149
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Flames on pace for 62 points.

96% chance of finishing last. 4% chance of finishing 2nd last per sportsclubstats.

After lottery means 100% chance at top 5 pick.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2015, 10:49 PM   #150
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
But if they are getting frustrated with Pouliot I would gladly take him for Hudler. But doubt that would happen.
No thanks. The last thing this team needs is another soft, small defenceman. They need some size and physicality back there.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:50 PM   #151
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The battle of Alberta has never been closer
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2015, 12:16 PM   #152
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
EDIT: wrong thread. Thought I corrected it earlier.

I'm starting to get visions of Jesee Puljujarvi in a Flames jersey dancing around in my head.
Puljujärvi is a safe pick but it's unclear to me whether he really has high end scoring potential. I'm not particularly following the prospects, but Laine looks like the more interesting Finn at least to me - size, shot and an attitude.

Neither of them are known as cerebral players as far as I can tell. I could be wrong but I really prefer the guy with a goal-scorer's outlook rather than the speedier all-around player.

Both are more talented (but maybe not as smart?) than Rantanen (2015 draft pick, similar size) who started the season with the Avs and has 14 points in 12 games in the AHL, so they have a very realistic chance to play in the NHL next season.

Puljujärvi has been rated higher, but by draft day I could even see Laine going second overall and Puljujärvi around fifth, or something like that. Just guessing of course. So much can happen between now and June.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2015, 03:15 PM   #153
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
Puljujärvi is a safe pick but it's unclear to me whether he really has high end scoring potential. I'm not particularly following the prospects, but Laine looks like the more interesting Finn at least to me - size, shot and an attitude.

Neither of them are known as cerebral players as far as I can tell. I could be wrong but I really prefer the guy with a goal-scorer's outlook rather than the speedier all-around player.

Both are more talented (but maybe not as smart?) than Rantanen (2015 draft pick, similar size) who started the season with the Avs and has 14 points in 12 games in the AHL, so they have a very realistic chance to play in the NHL next season.

Puljujärvi has been rated higher, but by draft day I could even see Laine going second overall and Puljujärvi around fifth, or something like that. Just guessing of course. So much can happen between now and June.
Of course from this side of the world we only get youtube packages of the highly touted Finn players. I'm perfecty happy with either Laine or puljujarvi.
I think I did actually voice a preference of Laine earlier in this thread too IIRC. Has a nose for the net like Bennett, but with that Rantanen size. But then you hear the stories of him getting kicked or national teams and flipping off the coaches (not sure what context or how true that is) and it makes you wonder if it would be safer to take Puljujarvi if you were left with a choice.

In any case. The Flames are on track for Matthews barring a screw job n the lottery. And I'd take him any day of the week over anyone in the draft.

In the end, any one of those 3 if they have the choice I'd be thrilled with.
as long as they avoid taking a D man top 5.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #154
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be happy with 6.02', 214 lb two way defenceman Jakob Chychrun and that size isn't fat.

Quote:
Many say it’s unfair to put lofty expectations on a 16- year-old like comparing the Calder Trophy winner, but in this case they are warranted. It’s been said by some that Chychrun’s rookie season in the OHL exceeded that of Ekblad’s, and that’s saying a lot. Chychrun already as ‘man strength’. As a teenager he went into Sarnia and dominated the team’s fitness testing.
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-pr...as-advertised/

more

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/ja...6-draft-class/

Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #155
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Oilers would look hard at him. Would they take him over Matthews?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:03 PM   #156
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Of course from this side of the world we only get youtube packages of the highly touted Finn players. I'm perfecty happy with either Laine or puljujarvi.
I think I did actually voice a preference of Laine earlier in this thread too IIRC. Has a nose for the net like Bennett, but with that Rantanen size. But then you hear the stories of him getting kicked or national teams and flipping off the coaches (not sure what context or how true that is) and it makes you wonder if it would be safer to take Puljujarvi if you were left with a choice.

In any case. The Flames are on track for Matthews barring a screw job n the lottery. And I'd take him any day of the week over anyone in the draft.

In the end, any one of those 3 if they have the choice I'd be thrilled with.
as long as they avoid taking a D man top 5.
There's the one incident when he was 16 for which Laine was immediately disciplined. Back then he certainly had a reputation even before that tournament. However I've noticed no reports about bad attitude since. At minimum he realised he was hurting his career.

Personally I think that was already a long time ago in a teenager's life, but I'm not going to say it means nothing. It will make scouts look into his current attitude more closely, but if it looks like he learned his lesson, I don't think it will affect his draft position much if at all.

I don't see any work ethic related problems, just an inflated teenage ego, but in the end you'd have to be in the team with him to really evaluate. In a way a cocky attitude isn't necessarily entirely negative in a player of his type.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #157
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

If we do end up last and win the lottery this year, do we move Matthews to wing or stick him to center?

I'd like to see our first line have a big-body presence that can tire out a team and still have the offensive upside: (Average weight: 204lbs)
Matthews-Monahan-Colborne

This brings in our second line that is a very fast and skilled line that can get down in the dirty areas:
Gaudreau-Bennett-Frolik
Old 11-29-2015, 05:17 PM   #158
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

You try all 3 at center then make your decision from there.

Whether Matthews or Bennett plays wing is a good problem to have, but really shouldn't be worrying about unless you know for sure you are getting Matthews.

Developing all 3 at center gives flexibility down the line, both during game match ups and trade wise.

Last edited by sureLoss; 11-29-2015 at 05:25 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #159
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Out of Monahan, Bennet, Matthews, whoever is the worst in the dot moves to the wing. Sick of watching us get slaughtered in the dot every game.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #160
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matthews is the clear #1 and it seems 2-5 could happen in any order between Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, and Chychrun. But so far a lot of agreement on the lists of the top 5.

I guarantee the Flames will pick either 2nd or 6th. Or they'll win the last 10 of the season to pick like 9th.

Tags
2016 nhl draft , nhl draft , nhl entry draft