Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:
Default News Flash! Roman Catholic Church fails to move into the 21st Century!

Quote:
Roman Catholic bishops today failed to reach consensus on opening the Church's doors to remarried divorcees and gays after a special synod on the family, in a blow to Pope Francis. Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi said participants had approved a "re-balanced" final report that took into account the concerns of the most conservative members.

In a final vote today after two weeks of heated debate, three paragraphs touching on the hot-button issues of a more welcome stance towards gays and divorcees did not receive the two-thirds majority needed. The vote closed a synod of bishops from around the world which has seen conservatives clash publicly with liberals over a drive spearheaded by the pope to soften the Church's approach to sinners.

Francis, 77, has called for the Church to take a more merciful approach to unwed mothers, remarried divorcees and gays, famously saying of homosexuals, "Who am I to judge?"....

.... The vote reflects the attitude of the top echelons of the Church towards reform - and ultimately towards Francis's rule, which has been coloured since his election in March 2013 by a determination to show the more humane side of the centuries-old institution.
Sad.. so sad. No wonder the RC Church is becoming more and more irrelevant in the modern world.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least they're talking about it and it's the one at the top initiating it.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

They meet again in a year.

They are having the discussions Catholics want them to have. Great start in my books. Credit to the Church.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:28 PM   #4
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't think it's so clear cut. I'm divorced, and remarried in the Catholic Church. While many things have to go to Rome for approval, the Priests have a certain amount of discretion to make decisions on their own (particularly at Easter). One of the Deacons is also previously divorced and remarried. And it's not common knowledge, but it's also no secret that there is a married Roman Catholic Priest in one of the Calgary Parishes.
Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
Rerun

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
At least they're talking about it and it's the one at the top initiating it.
Unfortunately the RC Church isn't a dictatorship. A bunch of old men squashed this and I don't really see this changing in a year. It'll take another generation at least for this to come to pass.

The bishops couldn't even live with a watered-down section on ministering to homosexuals that stripped away the welcoming tone of acceptance contained in a draft document earlier in the week.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #6
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

This generation probably won't, but the door has been kicked open by the top dog. It's not going to go backwards, it will just take time.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2014, 11:55 PM   #7
Rerun

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
This generation probably won't, but the door has been kicked open by the top dog. It's not going to go backwards, it will just take time.
I wouldn't so sure about that. I remember back in the 1970's having discussions about the Catholic Church and its stance on birth control and allowing Priests to marry.

That was over 40 years ago and not a damn thing has changed.

If there is one institution in this world that abhors change (unless failure to change results in condemnation and total embarrassment), its the Catholic Church.... and even then change happens very slowly.

Inertia has been inbred into the institution and the nail that sticks out quickly gets hammered down.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:15 AM   #8
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one can be sure of anything. Again, them talking about it is better than refusing to talk about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2014, 12:40 AM   #9
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
I wouldn't so sure about that. I remember back in the 1970's having discussions about the Catholic Church and its stance on birth control and allowing Priests to marry.

That was over 40 years ago and not a damn thing has changed.
40 years over 1900 years of indoctrination? Not really that shabby.

In all seriousness though..

Quote:
If there is one institution in this world that abhors change (unless failure to change results in condemnation and total embarrassment), its the Catholic Church.... and even then change happens very slowly.

Inertia has been inbred into the institution and the nail that sticks out quickly gets hammered down.
I wouldn't necessarily say that they 'abhor' change, but I would say that they are overly apprehensive and cautious. In an organization as entrenched as the Catholic Church, change can only come gradually. Expecting them to change in what is essentially "overnight" is ridiculous. Really, it is completely understandable that it may take a generation or three to catch up with sociocultural evolution.

As nik mentioned, the fact that this is even being brought up and considered is a HUGE step forward for this institution. I'm not saying change is inevitable and the Church is lagging along. Rather, this is the expected progression given the tradition of Catholicism.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:50 AM   #10
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

lol rerun
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #11
Rerun

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
lol rerun
Yeah, I know. Not sure why this bugged me. After all, who am I to criticize...
Its not like I'm a practicing Catholic.... I abandoned the Catholic Church and its intransigence, decades ago.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder if they are trying to make too many changes at one time. Maybe by taking one thing at a time i.e. gays or divorcees, they may be more able to make the changes.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #13
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering that even secular institutions have trouble with social change, this is at least a step in the right direction.

I love the way this is being reported and you can see the anti-Catholic bias. The statement from the church was simply that they couldn't reach a consensus and the discussions will continue next time. It is being reported as "Catholic Church Scraps Welcome to Gays".

Considering that the Pope himself is on the side of change, I see a lot of reason for optimism instead of anger.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #14
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about locked doors? Has their policy on that changed?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #15
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Unfortunately the RC Church isn't a dictatorship. A bunch of old men squashed this and I don't really see this changing in a year. It'll take another generation at least for this to come to pass.

The bishops couldn't even live with a watered-down section on ministering to homosexuals that stripped away the welcoming tone of acceptance contained in a draft document earlier in the week.
Ironic really, a bunch of predominantly gay dudes condemning gays!
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:53 AM   #16
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Ironic really, a bunch of predominantly gay dudes condemning gays!
Kinda like the Republicans in the south!
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #17
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Interesting... Pope Francis acknowledges the Big Bang and evolution:
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/po...e-real-n235696

Quote:
Big Bang theory and evolution in nature "do not contradict" the idea of creation, Pope Francis has told an audience at the Vatican, saying God was not “a magician with a magic wand.” The Pope’s remarks on Monday to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences appeared to be a theological break from his predecessor Benedict XVI, a strong exponent of creationism.

“The beginning of the world is not the work of chaos that owes its origin to something else, but it derives directly from a supreme principle that creates out of love,” Pope Francis said. “The Big Bang, that today is considered to be the origin of the world, does not contradict the creative intervention of God; on the contrary, it requires it. Evolution in nature is not in contrast with the notion of [divine] creation because evolution requires the creation of the beings that evolve.”

The Pontiff said God created beings “and let them develop in accordance with the internal laws that he has given to each one.” He said: “When we read in Genesis the account of creation [we are] in danger of imagining that God was a magician, complete with a magic wand that can do all things. But he is not.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote