Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #641
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Heck, I'm a Canadian citizen, and I'm afraid of U.S. cops.

Haha, that was good.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #642
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
I'm absolutely sure that this issue is not one with all police everywhere--but when almost all of the posts in this thread are about cops in the US, is it really all that hard to understand why Americans are pretty wary of the police forces that are supposed to be protecting us?
Is it really all that hard to understand why the police are wary of the American public when half of them have guns?

That wasn't supposed to sound like a retort, because I agree with you. I'm just saying that Americans have a more complicated problem than trigger-happy cops. It's a symptom of the much bigger gun problem.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #643
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

24/7/365 internet coverage of every square inch of the planet makes people think everything is at an epidemic level.

24/7/365 internet coverage of every square inch of the planet makes authorities think everybody is a criminal.
ripTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:38 PM   #644
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Heck, I'm a Canadian citizen, and I'm afraid of U.S. cops.
You should be, the Canadian government won't protect you from them.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:18 AM   #645
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
You should be, the Canadian government won't protect you from them.
Well, luckily for me, the only 2 States I have any interest in visiting aren't attached to the rest of them. And both of them seem to be pretty chill places in overall population temperment
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #646
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Is it really all that hard to understand why the police are wary of the American public when half of them have guns?

That wasn't supposed to sound like a retort, because I agree with you. I'm just saying that Americans have a more complicated problem than trigger-happy cops. It's a symptom of the much bigger gun problem.
Oh, the gun culture in the US is also a massive part of the problem. That said--a whole lot of these police brutality cases are involving unarmed civilians. Beyond a shift in gun culture (which sadly is going to be very hard fought), our police forces need to be better trained. For all the money they're bringing in with all the seizures, you think they could afford to train their officers better.

There are a lot of times I wish I lived in another country for all of these reasons.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #647
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Looks like some Canadian police are starting to learn their enforcement strategies from their American brethren

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...tims-1.2795407

Cops illegally enter a residence, seriously injure the occupants, and are neither criminally charged nor fired. It's not the fact that this happened that upsets me, it's the fact that the cops get away with a slap on the wrist and face zero consequences for actions that would land any normal person some serious jail time
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #648
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Looks like some Canadian police are starting to learn their enforcement strategies from their American brethren

Cops illegally enter a residence, seriously injure the occupants, and are neither criminally charged nor fired. It's not the fact that this happened that upsets me, it's the fact that the cops get away with a slap on the wrist and face zero consequences for actions that would land any normal person some serious jail time
There are bad seeds in every profession, unfortunately in policing the repercussions are worse for the victims. I wish they would have canned this officer for sure, sounds like a loose cannon and a disgrace to the uniform. I hope they get a large civil suit reward out of this.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #649
Bent Wookie

Quote:

I wonder if that is because there is way more to the story than just what is written in the article. Seems difficult to believe, if things happened as written, that criminal charges were not brought.

I wonder if they have access to the disciplinary rulings. I would like to read those.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #650
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Wookie View Post
I wonder if that is because there is way more to the story than just what is written in the article. Seems difficult to believe, if things happened as written, that criminal charges were not brought.

I wonder if they have access to the disciplinary rulings. I would like to read those.
It doesn't really matter what other circumstances there were, cops entered a residence without a warrant. Anything they did after that was illegal and they need to be held accountable
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #651
Bent Wookie

Quote:
It doesn't really matter what other circumstances there were, cops entered a residence without a warrant. Anything they did after that was illegal and they need to be held accountable
I'm not saying they didn't enter illegally. If things went down as outlined in the article, they absolutely need to be held accountable. I am just saying there may be another side.

And police can enter a residence without a warrant.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #652
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, for sure there is another side to the story, but it does say in the article that the police and city would not comment...

It would be good for the city and the police force to tell everyone what really happened. It's kind of their job, being accountable to the citizens and all that.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #653
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the police union will make sure that the bad apples keep their jobs
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #654
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And police can enter a residence without a warrant.
Only in very certain circumstances. While in pursuit, to obtain evidence they believe will be lost or destroyed unless obtained immediately, or if they believe someone in the residence is in danger. None of those apply in this situation, thus why he was found guilty of illegal entry.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #655
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Only in very certain circumstances. While in pursuit, to obtain evidence they believe will be lost or destroyed unless obtained immediately, or if they believe someone in the residence is in danger. None of those apply in this situation, thus why he was found guilty of illegal entry.
Though a tangent of believing some is in danger, this does include any 911 hang up call from the residence. There is case law to allow warrantless entry into a residence after a 911 hang up call was made.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #656
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Though a tangent of believing some is in danger, this does include any 911 hang up call from the residence. There is case law to allow warrantless entry into a residence after a 911 hang up call was made.
Got any unread texts on your phone, sir?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #657
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Got any unread texts on your phone, sir?
I screen my calls and texts...you know this ahhah I'll get back to you. And further to my point, case law only dictates landlines right now with 911 hang ups. Though cell phone hang ups with reason to believe someone is in distress can also allow a warrantless search.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #658
Bent Wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
According the the article, you are right, none apply in this situation. I was merely contradicting a statement that they entered without a warrant and that, in it of itself, are not grounds for wrong doing.

None were "found guilty" and neither broke the law as indicated in the article. They were sanctioned by the board overseeing police misconduct in that area. I am assuming the burden of proof is significantly less than in a criminal trial.

My point is, if that's what happened, they should be fired. The fact, they were sanctioned leads me to believe they certainly made some serious errors in judgment. The fact they were never criminally charged and we're ONLY sanctioned leads me to believe there just may be another side.

Last edited by Bent Wookie; 10-13-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #659
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So glad we have "heroes" like these guys willing to deal with such imminent threats.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=530629547073812
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #660
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
So glad we have "heroes" like these guys willing to deal with such imminent threats.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=530629547073812
I require my videos to be seven seconds long before I render judgement on somebody.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post: