Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2014, 10:34 PM   #621
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Wow. What a lunatic. And a crack shot to boot! Hopefully that fool goes to prison.

The googles tell me that to become a SC State Trooper, you need a high school diploma (or GED) and driving record that doesn't include any boozy/druggy convictions in the last five years. They start at ~27 grand a year, which is like what, 13 bucks an hour?

Now this isn't meant to be a shot at people who have a GED (or don't make a lot of money), but if you are going to be trusted with that kind of power, and a gun, the qualifications should be a lot more stringent than that.
Welcome to the police force in 'merica! most are bullies that cant do jack and are too dumb to do anything that benefits society so they become cops to continue to bully people.

the DNR troopers are the men, they have degrees and are stand up men/women
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:22 AM   #622
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Wow. What a lunatic. And a crack shot to boot! Hopefully that fool goes to prison.

The googles tell me that to become a SC State Trooper, you need a high school diploma (or GED) and driving record that doesn't include any boozy/druggy convictions in the last five years. They start at ~27 grand a year, which is like what, 13 bucks an hour?

Now this isn't meant to be a shot at people who have a GED (or don't make a lot of money), but if you are going to be trusted with that kind of power, and a gun, the qualifications should be a lot more stringent than that.
I can't speak for the U.S. but you do realize that you have zero hope in hell of becoming a police officer in Canada with just a GED right? It is super competitive here but then again the salary is much better as is the training. If you don't have at minimum a decent college degree and better yet, a University degree you are not policing in Canada. Maybe they could recruit better educated individuals down south if they didn't pay such a crappy salary.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #623
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cop's Tip For Not Getting Raped By A Cop: 'Don't Get Pulled Over'

Quote:
In response to the arrests of three law enforcement officials in Oklahoma for sexually assaulting women while on the job, an Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper told women they can avoid getting raped by a cop if they simply follow traffic laws.
Quote:
In the past month, a Tulsa County Deputy, an OHP trooper and an Oklahoma City police officer have all been charged with repeatedly raping and sexually assaulting women while on the job.
It is notable that, if you follow the links from the article above you find out:

Quote:
Some women were stopped as they were walking. In one case, the victim told police that Holtzclaw broke into her home in March, kicked out her boyfriend and then forced her to perform sexual acts.
So no... apparently women in Oklahoma can't prevent themselves being raped by a cop by following traffic laws.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #624
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Mod edit- removed
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #625
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw this article on CBC a little while back. Makes the American Police force sound like the federally down in Mexico.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/world/story/1.2760736

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 09-25-2014 at 04:23 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #626
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

SC trooper charged with felony in shooting at traffic stop over seat belt violation

Quote:
COLUMBIA, SC — An S.C. trooper who stopped a man for a seat belt violation outside Columbia and then shot him – apparently without provocation – was arrested Wednesday and charged with assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature.

Sean Groubert, 31, a lance corporal who was fired from the Highway Patrol after the shooting incident, now faces 20 years in prison if convicted of wrongfully shooting the driver, Levar Jones.
Quote:
The video shows Groubert firing repeatedly at Jones, who was not armed and who was not behaving aggressively. Jones was struck at least once, in the hip. He spent time in the hospital and is now out of the hospital recuperating.
Here is the video... ***WARNING: DISTURBING CONTENT***

It's really upsetting to hear how terrified and confused the poor guy was after being shot.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!

Last edited by Nehkara; 09-25-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nehkara For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #627
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
This case of John Crawford in Ohio is utterly ridiculous, and the fact that the officers are getting away completely scot-free is insane.

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/24/6839953...k-ohio-toy-gun
Just to be clear from your quote, the story was updated:

Quote:
Correction: An earlier headline originally indicated John Crawford was shot after he dropped the toy gun, based on a video released with no sound. Full video footage and other media reports suggest he was shot prior to dropping the toy gun. This post was updated with a new headline, more details, and the full video footage to explain the correct chain of events.
The video clearly shows him still holding the gun when engaged by the police, not dropped before police arrive as your quote indicates. Secondly, based on his position of the gun, he could effectively shoot a round on target in < a second. (source - http://www.forcescience.org/biomachanics.html).
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #628
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehkara View Post
SC trooper charged with felony in shooting at traffic stop over seat belt violation

That is terrible. Are officers that scared down there?
Old 09-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #629
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Just to be clear from your quote, the story was updated:

The video clearly shows him still holding the gun when engaged by the police, not dropped before police arrive as your quote indicates. Secondly, based on his position of the gun, he could effectively shoot a round on target in < a second. (source - http://www.forcescience.org/biomachanics.html).
In the video I did not hear anyone instruct the man to drop the weapon nor was there anyone around to be threatened by that weapon. I saw officers arrive on scene and just shoot the suspect with no verbal warning whatsoever. I could not police down there.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #630
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
In the video I did not hear anyone instruct the man to drop the weapon nor was there anyone around to be threatened by that weapon. I saw officers arrive on scene and just shoot the suspect with no verbal warning whatsoever. I could not police down there.
Well if you had bothered to read the text around the video you would have noticed that the audio from the surveillance footage is muted and the only audio on the tape is synced with the radio transmissions.

Further to that, I question how we determine this as police brutality when a grand jury has already stated the officers were justified in their actions. This has gone in front of the legal process and deemed to be proper. If anything, the outrage should be towards the legal system if they think the laws are too lax or inappropriate.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5876574.html

Quote:
Officers' actions were justified in the fatal shooting of a man holding an air rifle inside an Ohio Wal-Mart store, a grand jury determined Wednesday — using surveillance video the slain man's family said shows the shooting was completely unjustified.

The Greene County grand jury opted not to issue any indictments in the Aug. 5 death of 22-year-old John Crawford III inside a Wal-Mart in Beavercreek, Special Prosecutor Mark Piepmeier said.
Quote:
But Lori Shaw, a University of Dayton law professor who has been following the case, said she was not surprised with the grand jury's decision.

"I think in this particular instance, because the police had reason to believe that a weapon was involved, it made it much less likely that there would be a charge," Shaw said.

She said with mass shootings that have taken place in a variety of public places, police can be under added pressure in such cases.

"We're in 2014 ... I think the public is a lot more on edge, and I'm sure that police are more on edge," she said.
"It's a tragic situation all the way around," she added.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #631
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Well if you had bothered to read the text around the video you would have noticed that the audio from the surveillance footage is muted and the only audio on the tape is synced with the radio transmissions.

Further to that, I question how we determine this as police brutality when a grand jury has already stated the officers were justified in their actions. This has gone in front of the legal process and deemed to be proper. If anything, the outrage should be towards the legal system if they think the laws are too lax or inappropriate.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5876574.html
Fair enough but even given the lack of audio it is pretty easy to see that they didn't even try to get the suspect to drop his weapon, they shot him as soon as they had visual contact. I don't care what a Grand Jury says, I am entitled to my own opinion and in my opinion that was killing a man with no justification at all. I don't need audio to see how fast upon arrival they shot that guy and I also don't need it to know that if they had taken the time to tell him to drop the weapon given that it was an air rifle I am pretty sure he would have complied. That is the difference between here and the U.S., there is no doubt the decision on those officers would have been the exact opposite here in Canada.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #632
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

How surreal for that dude. He drives for a medical courier service which means he is on the road a lot, he is clearly pulling into the gas station to get a soda or snack or what not as he likely normally does often, he is stepping out of the car and sees the police cruiser pull up, he stops in surprise when he sees it, he turns to provide the requested ID, and then he is being shot. I mean, that's a hell of a lot to process from "hey, I could use snack/have to pee" to "holy ####, I am being shot" in a short time.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #633
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
How surreal for that dude. He drives for a medical courier service which means he is on the road a lot, he is clearly pulling into the gas station to get a soda or snack or what not as he likely normally does often, he is stepping out of the car and sees the police cruiser pull up, he stops in surprise when he sees it, he turns to provide the requested ID, and then he is being shot. I mean, that's a hell of a lot to process from "hey, I could use snack/have to pee" to "holy ####, I am being shot" in a short time.

That is unreal, I mean the guy goes to grab his ID the cops yells so he turns quickly and BAM shots fired.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #634
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Saw this article on CBC a little while back. Makes the American Police force sound like they federally down in Mexico.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/world/story/1.2760736
The thing that got me about that article was who wrote it. That is CBC's senior correspondent. It isn't a newby trying to create a name. This guy has a reputation and wouldn't write a report like this loosely.

The federale reference is not far off if the article is true.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #635
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Fair enough but even given the lack of audio it is pretty easy to see that they didn't even try to get the suspect to drop his weapon, they shot him as soon as they had visual contact. I don't care what a Grand Jury says, I am entitled to my own opinion and in my opinion that was killing a man with no justification at all. I don't need audio to see how fast upon arrival they shot that guy and I also don't need it to know that if they had taken the time to tell him to drop the weapon given that it was an air rifle I am pretty sure he would have complied. That is the difference between here and the U.S., there is no doubt the decision on those officers would have been the exact opposite here in Canada.
I'm so glad to see an actual police officer realizing how incredulous this case is. The man did absolutely nothing wrong from all evidence, and was shot down because maybe, just maybe, he was going to fire that weapon. Though not showing any aggressive moves whatsoever. Though not actually aiming it at anyone.

If the officers were concerned, I'm pretty sure they could've found non-lethal ways to deal with a non-aggressive man holding an airsoft gun. Shoot first, figure it out later, is a really scary way to do business. Lethal force should be a last resort, not the first course of action.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #636
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm so glad to see an actual police officer realizing how incredulous this case is. The man did absolutely nothing wrong from all evidence, and was shot down because maybe, just maybe, he was going to fire that weapon. Though not showing any aggressive moves whatsoever. Though not actually aiming it at anyone.

If the officers were concerned, I'm pretty sure they could've found non-lethal ways to deal with a non-aggressive man holding an airsoft gun. Shoot first, figure it out later, is a really scary way to do business. Lethal force should be a last resort, not the first course of action.
I often see stuff like this, and wonder about a #NotAllCops sort of thing.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #637
Arya Stark
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehkara View Post

It's really upsetting to hear how terrified and confused the poor guy was after being shot.

Unbelievable. How could a cop be this stupid?

Edit: Also thank god for video because this cop would have just likely got off easy saying he was reaching for his waist band a it appeared to be a gun or some stupid excuse like that.
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #638
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I often see stuff like this, and wonder about a #NotAllCops sort of thing.
I'm absolutely sure that this issue is not one with all police everywhere--but when almost all of the posts in this thread are about cops in the US, is it really all that hard to understand why Americans are pretty wary of the police forces that are supposed to be protecting us?
Old 09-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #639
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm absolutely sure that this issue is not one with all police everywhere--but when almost all of the posts in this thread are about cops in the US, is it really all that hard to understand why Americans are pretty wary of the police forces that are supposed to be protecting us?
Heck, I'm a Canadian citizen, and I'm afraid of U.S. cops.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #640
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Heck, I'm a Canadian citizen, and I'm afraid of U.S. cops.
I'm out of thanks, but well done, haha.

And given the link a few posts back about the seizure of property/cash/etc by police in the US--you probably should be, if you ever drive around down here.