Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #2961
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is CSEC waiting to find out from the city? Have they proposed anything, or do they need the city to approve something first? Sorry, a little lost as to where we are in the "process", if one exists.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #2962
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Saw an article that Brett Wilson was on Global this morning, moaning about how the city is dragging its feet on a deal. And it reminds me - has KK or anyone else at CSEC ever clarified why it took so long for them to present CalgaryNEXT? Maybe I am taking crazy pills, but I have some pretty clear memories of KK going on and on about the great plans he had on his desk at a STH event over 5 years ago. Can someone please ask him why that took so long?
Because he sucks at his job.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #2963
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Saw an article that Brett Wilson was on Global this morning, moaning about how the city is dragging its feet on a deal. And it reminds me - has KK or anyone else at CSEC ever clarified why it took so long for them to present CalgaryNEXT? Maybe I am taking crazy pills, but I have some pretty clear memories of KK going on and on about the great plans he had on his desk at a STH event over 5 years ago. Can someone please ask him why that took so long?
There was that pesky flood that delayed things.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #2964
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe King is just too busy?

The Jared Kushner of the Flames organization;

"Build us a new arena."
"Get Iginla a centre."
"Sweep up that popcorn in the concourse."
"Negotiate new player contracts."
"Hire a Hockey Ops Executive."
"Are you still building that new arena?"
"Clean up that Nacho Cheese on the floor."
"Hire George Johnson so he stops saying mean things."
"Design us a new jersey."
"Give Eric Francis arena talking points."
"Keep a leash on Burke."

He must be exhausted.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #2965
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
wasn't part of it buying the stamps, so they went from having an arena development to a multiplex?
Old 06-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #2966
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny how we've publicly heard more on this subject from an owner of another franchise than we have from the Flames owners themselves.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #2967
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
There was that pesky flood that delayed things.
Yeah didn't it flood just a few months after he said that? I also read they didn't get the insurance coverage they hoped for due to the fact they had received reports saying they needed to increase the berm, and do something about potential flooding down the players tunnel.

Also I'm sure at least a few people on CP are also involved in building construction and designing buildings... this stuff takes lots of time. This is my issue with people who were upset about the original CalgaryNEXT discussion. You don't have the budget for people to design a building until you at least have a piece of land you KNOW you're building on. It was concept art for a conceptual idea, not a proposal.

The issue we are facing now, if they decide on a location, we are at least a year and a bit before a shovel hits the ground, with a few years of construction (project dependant). So basically we need a decision this year to have a new building by... 2021? Realistically? Depending how much work the site requires. Say what you want about the dome, but I can't imagine 5-6 more seasons in it. So it is a relatively urgent matter for the ownership group.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #2968
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Next Bretton Wilson interview I hope they ask him if he'd move the predators here if the Flames move to Seattle...
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #2969
Dr. Pepper
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

KK just said that the design for the Vic Park Arena is "controversially spectacular". They will come out pretty shortly apparently.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #2970
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper View Post
KK just said that the design for the Vic Park Arena is "controversially spectacular". They will come out pretty shortly apparently.
Anyone else wish Ken King would stop saying things like this? Stop making promises you don't deliver on.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #2971
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper View Post
I can't wait to be excitedly outraged!

(not a shot at you, Dr. P)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #2972
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I feel like anytime Brett Wilson says something about CalgaryNext he should disclose his ownership in the Nashville Predators and the interests he would have in a new arena outside of those as a "Calgarian"
Old 06-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #2973
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have to laugh at the idea of the flood causing disastrous delays. I guess any limb to grasp is good enough to justify 10 years of talk from the Flames about a new building. I mean, who could have forseen the Flames buying the Stamps? Certainly not The Flames...

Ken King told the Herald they had concepts and renderings for a new building in or near downtown Calgary in 2008, and had previously envisioned a scenario where the Flames were out of the Saddledome after their lease-at-the-time expired in 2014.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #2974
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

looks like in the states they are tired of public funding for stadiums

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...-fund-stadiums

Quote:
A group of politicians who are tired of taxpayer money being used to build sports stadiums on Tuesday will introduce a bill in the Senate to prohibit the practice.

Cory Booker, D-N.J., and James Lankford, R-Okla., are sponsoring a bill that would prohibit teams from using municipal bonds, whose interest is exempt from federal taxes, to help finance stadium construction.

"Professional sports teams generate billions of dollars in revenue," Booker said in a statement. "There's no reason why we should give these multimillion-dollar businesses a federal tax break to build new stadiums. It's not fair to finance these expensive projects on the backs of taxpayers, especially when wealthy teams end up reaping most of the benefits."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 02:33 PM   #2975
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone is interested, here is a parallel project happening right now in San Diego called Soccer City... a sports and entertainment district with live / work / play amenities with a stadium for a future MLS team. It's currently being discussed with the City and it's similarities (and differences) to the CalgaryNEXT project are providing an interesting dichotomy:

https://www.soccercitysd.com/

This project, by the way, is proposed to be 100% privately funded.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #2976
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
If anyone is interested, here is a parallel project happening right now in San Diego called Soccer City... a sports and entertainment district with live / work / play amenities with a stadium for a future MLS team. It's currently being discussed with the City and it's similarities (and differences) to the CalgaryNEXT project are providing an interesting dichotomy:

That's essentially what a new Stampeders stadium should strive for. That's the new battle now for CSEC.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #2977
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post

Wow....that is genuinely spectacular.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #2978
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

That looks very similar to what they did at Lansdowne in Ottawa around the stadium.

Years ago, the University put out an RFP to do something similar around McMahon to pay for upgrades to the Stadium, but they either didn't receive any proposals or none that were adequate and nothing ever came from it.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #2979
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
That looks very similar to what they did at Lansdowne in Ottawa around the stadium.

Years ago, the University put out an RFP to do something similar around McMahon to pay for upgrades to the Stadium, but they either didn't receive any proposals or none that were adequate and nothing ever came from it.
Haha I worked on that one, it was iffy then and was dead in the water shortly thereafter, as expected.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #2980
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm sure it's been said before, but the Flames happily sat on the sidelines watching the Oiler's arena debate. Once there was an outcome from that negotiation they would know if the province kicked in funds and have a template to negotiate with the city.

Roger's Place cost $613.7m, including:
1. Arena
2. Wintergarden
3. Pedestrian Corridor
4. LRT connection
5. Community downtown arena
6. Arena land

Katz paid $27.7m upfront, and the city leased him the other $137.8m (@2.8% interest that's $6.23m/yr in payments)

The rest of the arena is funded with a ticket tax and CRL, to which the city of Edmonton fronted the $448.2m remaining.

Edmonton also signed a $2m/yr advertising deal with Katz for 10yrs.

Katz pays all operating costs and receives 100% of revenue from the building.

In the end Katz put 5% down and got a free arena. The Flames led with a proposal to the city similar to this deal and Nenshi said no.
Closed Thread