Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #321
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I think there are a couple of issue here.

2. But there are a few issues that go farther. Like quotas. Quotas just upset people. For example if a law school has 100 spots and the white guy finishes 101 overall regardless of minority then it's still favoring white guys less but he's has to accept it. But if he's 91st overall but can't get in because they have to let in 20 minorities/low income/women/whatever then he will think he's lost rights. Another issue is that grades is not the only factor. There's GPA and test scores and volunteering and work experience and personality and quotas that make the admission process very subjective and yes if there were no quotas the selector would be very biased.

So for people who believe in #1, that's racism. But for people who believe in #2, that's more of a legitimate beef. The playing field should be equal, and equal means white lose some advantages. But it should not be skewed to far that way.
Quotas for minorities aren't what keep dude #101 out of an Ivy League school. Legacy students, students whose wealthy parents pay their way in, they are the ones to blame. I'd put good money down that a minority student who makes it into an Ivy League school worked just as hard, if not way harder, than poor #101 there. If you're sad for him, stop giving rich kids entrance over everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
So you're in favour of getting rid of all trace of Robert E Lee? Do you support the renaming of Washington and Lee University, the bulldozing of the ancestral Lee house you can visit at the Arlington cemetery? Where are you going to stop?

Also I really don't see how you can apply your logic of applying the morality of the times to Lee and not to the founding fathers, they all had the power to stamp out the civil war before it could fester, they wrote the phrase " all men are created equal " and did basically nothing to apply that to all men.
There's a huge difference between a separate historical monument and the statue of someone who attempted to preserve slavery remaining on the campus of a state university. They weren't destroying the statue, they're moving it.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #322
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Driver of the car has been charged with murder. Pictures show suspect at a neo nazi rally earlier in the day.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...nguard-america
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #323
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

identity politics is stupid, it's that simple
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #324
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
There's a huge difference between a separate historical monument and the statue of someone who attempted to preserve slavery remaining on the campus of a state university. They weren't destroying the statue, they're moving it.
This all has just become political and it's stupid. Here in Calgary we have a statue of the Famous 5 - who fought for the inclusion of woman - but also (some) had strong anti non white immigration ideas and fought (and won) to have eugenics legislation included in Canada.

So now what?
Old 08-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #325
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
Ted Cruz called this out as racism and the car into the crowd as domestic terrorism. Ted freaking Cruz.

This is not partisan. This is a group of (mostly) white men heil-ing Trump and wearing SS gear and waving Nazi flags. This is not Republican or Democrat. This is racism, plain and simple. That Trump refuses to call it such is appalling. Literally the bare minimum the man could do as President is say that Nazis are bad. He can't even manage that much.
Have any prominent Republican legislators questioned why Bannon, Gorka or Miller have White House roles? Because if not, it's hard to take their "concerns" about white supremacy seriously.

Republicans have placed themselves into a corner by validating Trump.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #326
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
This all has just become political and it's stupid. Here in Calgary we have a statue of the Famous 5 - who fought for the inclusion of woman - but also (some) had strong anti non white immigration ideas and fought (and won) to have eugenics legislation included in Canada.

So now what?
There's never a definitive answer. Louis Riel, William Wallace, Pancho Villa, Spartacus, Washington...the definition of hero or traitor can shift quiet a bit depending on context and time. Human history is mostly one giant ball of grey.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #327
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
There's never a definitive answer. Louis Riel, William Wallace, Pancho Villa, Spartacus, Washington...the definition of hero or traitor can shift quiet a bit depending on context and time. Human history is mostly one giant ball of grey.
But he wants to make his definitive posts against LIBERAL CALGARYPUCK!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #328
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
It's actually 3,500. I'd be pretty embarrassed if I called someone out for their math skills and then was off by two orders of magnitude on my wrong answer.
I'd kinda laugh at my own mistake and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
His Math skills need some work?
I think transplant and I both knew what he was trying to say since he never challenged the number I came up with. Sorry if me giving him enough credit to assume he didn't actually think there were only 3500 racists in America offended you.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #329
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post

So now what?
Is it grey that Robert E Lee was a traitorous loser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #330
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Winston Churchill hated Bengalis and considered them subhuman. John A. MacDonald pushed residential schools.

Heck, I am willing to bet that most of our grandfathers or great grandfathers used to be wife and child beaters.

The past needs to be remembered, but not lived in.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #331
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I had never heard of Daily Stormer until today, but it's so awful I have trouble believing it isn't a parody site. Poe's Law in full effect. They're literally blaming the victim in the vilest ways possible.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170813...year-old-slut/

I linked to an archive of the site so they don't get hits. "Road Rage incident" FFS
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #332
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Is it grey that Robert E Lee was a traitorous loser?
for me no...but i guess it depends on your perspective. A lot of people seem to want to ignore the bad for the good or out right pretend it didn't happen. The Famous Five are a good example of that. Eugenics was part of Nazi doctrine...
Old 08-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #333
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump is bad for America.
Trump is bad for the world.
The people that voted him in should be ashamed, but the ones attending the hate rallys won't.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #334
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I had never heard of Daily Stormer until today, but it's so awful I have trouble believing it isn't a parody site. Poe's Law in full effect. They're literally blaming the victim in the vilest ways possible.

I linked to an archive of the site so they don't get hits. "Road Rage incident" FFS
The worst part is The Daily Stormer is basically just a frontpage news portal for the more insidious side, the Stormfront Forums, which have been around for ~20 years and are basically the worst dregs of the internet: Racism Edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #335
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Did someone say Israel, Israel, Israel to summon Nage Waza?*
Nice virtue signalling. Did this make you feel better inside? Do you always try to marginalize someone before you listen to their point of view? One day you may discover that most people have way more in common than differences, and stereotyping someone is harmful. It makes people look dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Please explain. What is the violent left, and where are examples of this violent left? And please save the "anti-fa" bull####. The "anti-fa" are anarchists who maintain no particular ideological position, except to protest whoever is in power.
The violent, oppressive left has trampled across numerous campuses, debates and protests. To deny this is the worst type of lie someone can make. Antifa is 100% a left wing organization, another lie you are making.

What Antifa does is bad. What happened yesterday was bad. Neither side is helping.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #336
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
The worst part is The Daily Stormer is basically just a frontpage news portal for the more insidious side, the Stormfront Forums, which have been around for ~20 years and are basically the worst dregs of the internet: Racism Edition.
Oh yeah, I remember stumbling onto that forum when Wolfenstein: The New Order came out, and they were whining that the Nazis were being portrayed negatively. I didn't stick around long enough to see any hateful stuff.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #337
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post

####tucky? IF they are turning on Kentucky, where do they have left to hide?

c-u-c-k is blanked out?

Last edited by nfotiu; 08-13-2017 at 07:51 PM.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #338
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
To deny.
it's a fundamental principle of regressives
Old 08-13-2017, 07:59 PM   #339
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Nice virtue signalling.

Quote:
Did this make you feel better inside? Do you always try to marginalize someone before you listen to their point of view? One day you may discover that most people have way more in common than differences, and stereotyping someone is harmful. It makes people look dumb.
Seems someone was triggered. It was a joke. Lighten up Francis.

Quote:
The violent, oppressive left has trampled across numerous campuses, debates and protests.
Nice narrative, but not very accurate. Just how much time do you spend on American college campuses that you would know this? Never seen this behavior on any campus I've been on, nor any involvement in any protest.

Quote:
To deny this is the worst type of lie someone can make. Antifa is 100% a left wing organization, another lie you are making.
The left versus right argument about this group is inane. Here are a couple images. First one from Berkeley, second one from a protest in Belarus. The first "left wing antifa" and the second, unaffiliated anarchists.

NSFW!

NSFW!

See any similarities? NEWS FLASH: They're the same collective group. What you are calling antifa is called anarchists pretty much everywhere else. Conservatives have taken to calling this "antifa" group to be left wing, but that isn't accurate. Yes, they are countering the extreme right, because that's the party in power. If it were Democrats in power the protesters would be considered right wing, because they are the counter to the party in power. Bottom line on this fools is they are anti-establishment and want to see a disruption of political and cultural norms being enforced by the party in power, as displayed by the following image.

NSFW!

Quote:
What Antifa does is bad. What happened yesterday was bad. Neither side is helping.
False equivalency is false. One side did demonstrably worse than the other. How did you put it, "To deny this is the worst type of lie someone can make."
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #340
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Driver of the car has been charged with murder. Pictures show suspect at a neo nazi rally earlier in the day.

(but not really)
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote