Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #81
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Who is we? Again, if this is a homage to the indigenous, were they consulted on what they would like to see? Maybe they'd love a warrior on his horse.

If it's not a homage to the natives, then why try to half ass it and say it is?
You know like a lot of ncaa teams have had to change their native american imagery. Some, like you said, asked and got to keep it like the FSU Seminoles and their wicked cool chief that rides out and plants a flaming spear at center field before games. But several others don't like warrior themed native american stuff. An artist we've represented for years often gets criticism for his native american sculptures being too "imperialist" ...too much focused on the warrior brave before going into battle... maybe against other tribes but also very possibly against their European conquerors. But yeah, I'm always for tasteful imagery and asking permission.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #82
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Wow, I had no idea that "rocks hanging on rusty metal" could be considered an art style.
I'm in the wrong line of work.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #83
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
What do you guys think about the trout on glenmore by Chinook? I think it's pretty nice. Too bad the entire stretch was under water right after it opened.

Love it, and I don't think it was ever underwater.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #84
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Love it, and I don't think it was ever underwater.
I"m pretty sure that section of glenmore got it as it's probably the lowest point around that area.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ntre-1.3134125
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #85
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

So a question, which native choose this piece, as NAFTA considerations aside art has to be chosen, and art supposed to honour natives must have been picked with extensive native, blackfoot even, consultation, several natives even native artists must have been part of the panel that picked this crap right?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #86
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go big or go home!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 02:02 PM   #87
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pft,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Motherland_Calls

We should get one of these, but make it a fierce looking beaver with a hockey stick.

Face it towards DC.

Spoiler!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #88
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Pft,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Motherland_Calls

We should get one of these, but make it a fierce looking beaver with a hockey stick.

Face it towards DC.

Spoiler!
love that one, monument to Stalingrad if memory serves me right
Old 08-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #89
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

A beaver standing on its hind legs with its paws out in a 'Come At Me Bro' stance.

Brilliant.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #90
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
At the same time though, would you want New York to be closed for Calgary artists to be able to work on public art commissions?
I guess it depends on what it is. If it is something very specific to New York where a Calgary artist just wouldn't have the right feel for it then no they probably shouldn't. This piece was about the Blackfoot people, I just don't think an artist from New York was the right choice.

As for the broader picture, you're right.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #91
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, that is pathetic. I'm all for public art and the idea of showing off the rundle stone is cool but something like that should be in an easily accessible public area not on the side of a highway.

Also, the native imagery thing just seems like a way to justify the cost, much like how the Finger Trap Bridge was named the Peace Bridge. It's obviously not native art or representative of the Blackfoot when it was designed in New York.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:50 PM   #92
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

On Twitter earlier today.

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 08:57 PM   #93
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

A half million dollars for probably $10,000 dollars worth of crappy materials and no thought in it whatsover. The rocks, they look like they float.

But its got its basis in indigenous concepts of earth wind and fire, at least that's what the lady in change of arts says

Meanwhile the treaty 7 and Blackfoot weren't consulted and they're like "What the frack is this garbage, we don't know what she's talking about".

Wouldn't it have been smart for the committee to bring representatives in on the selection to say, "yeah we get it"

Someone got conned, but I know why this piece of junk was purchased. Because the artist was from New York, and the people on the selection committee were like "rabble rabble, New York Artist". I think its also hilarious that the media tried to contact the artist who's not ever going to return their phone call.

We spent a half million dollars on some rusty scrap metals and some rocks.

I'm not opposed to art, I love art. But man this ranks right up there with the big blue circle of love.

And who puts it somewhere that nobody is going to notice it or give a crap about it.

Maybe we can take these things apart and build the worlds largest swing set with it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 08-04-2017 at 08:59 PM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:03 PM   #94
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This thing is pretty ugly and I don't get it but I'm pretty happy Blackfoot or treaty 7 or any other aborigonal group wasn't consulted. Art is subjective but I find 99% of traditional Native art to be pretty ugly overall.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #95
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Then don't try to sell it on representing indigenous concepts. It comes across as a lie to justify buying a bad piece of art.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #96
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
I like the piece. Looks interesting to me. Art is only art if it's challenging. Otherwise it's just decoration.

I know people are going to disagree with me. That's fine. Actually, that's the point of art.
It's not though. Art, in any of its forms, is a derivative of ideas and feelings expressed through talent and skill. All of those components are variables and, because of that, art can be good, bad, mediocre etc. The level of these variables define the overall quality of an art piece.

We saw Yoko Ono's white paper-mache cubes, cylinders and balls exhibition in Rio de Janeiro a few years ago. Supposedly, they represented her feelings and ideas. But Yoko's talent and skill levels are extremely low. She's not able to express her ideas and feelings artistically, and that's exactly how her work looks like - amateurish and primitive. So do these metal structures - lacking any good ideas, feelings, talent or skill.

Until someone's work stood the test of time, it should not even be called art; it's just a decoration (good or bad). Calling it art and explaining why it is art are just proven ways of marketing to sell it for more money to suckers (us).

Michelangelo's "Pieta" at St. Peter's Basilica is art. Da Vinci, Dürer, Rembrandt, Velaskes, Dali, Rodin - that's art.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 11:22 PM   #97
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I literally stumbled upon this one tonight...

It's a bunch of riverbed rocks. But it's stuck in a chain link fence tube. It kind of looks like a big rock snake. It's a 2014 installation beside the emergency bunker on top of the hill in Crescent Heights. It's part of the Calgary public art thing too. So 500k. I didn't even know it was there.

Art seems to be taking something natural and pretty and tooling I into something more man made and strange.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:57 PM   #98
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
A half million dollars for probably $10,000 dollars worth of crappy materials and no thought in it whatsover. The rocks, they look like they float.
You think there's only $10,000 worth of materials in there? A better guess is that it cost $10,000 just to transport materials for this project.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:02 AM   #99
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I literally stumbled upon this one tonight...

It's a bunch of riverbed rocks. But it's stuck in a chain link fence tube. It kind of looks like a big rock snake. It's a 2014 installation beside the emergency bunker on top of the hill in Crescent Heights. It's part of the Calgary public art thing too. So 500k. I didn't even know it was there.

Art seems to be taking something natural and pretty and tooling I into something more man made and strange.
I always have to keep my kids from climbing all the way up that thing.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #100
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I always have to keep my kids from climbing all the way up that thing.
Swimming. It's a river so technically they'd be swimming on it.

This is what the artist says about the Bowfort Towers..

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/c...eist-1.4236477

Basically go back and look at it again you stupid rubes. You might "get it" some day.