Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2017, 08:31 AM   #1281
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I don't know if you're incredibly wealthy or what, but you seem to think every food establishment and amenity in this world that isn't top of the line is sub par or garbage. It's very noticeable from you, just FYI.
Probably because I only post about soemthing that makes me mad or I don't enjoy. When I enjoy something I never think to post it. Maybe I should post those experiences more often.

On that note, I played Ironhead Golf Course yesterday with my Dad. We have been playing it for years and it has slowly been getting a little more over run. But we always have a great time playing there. The greens were actually in fantastic shape yesterday. Didn't play all that well, but almost chipped in for eagle on 18 (lipped out) so that made me happy!

Also as my Dad gets older it just feels so much nicer being able to get out on the course with him and have a nice round.

Last edited by Weitz; 07-31-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:48 AM   #1282
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Low round of the year today! 36-40-76

Made a double on 16. :-(
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:55 PM   #1283
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Probably because I only post about soemthing that makes me mad or I don't enjoy. When I enjoy something I never think to post it. Maybe I should post those experiences more often.
Fair enough, I guess that's probably true for all of us.

Quote:
Didn't play all that well, but almost chipped in for eagle on 18 (lipped out) so that made me happy
My short game still is what is for a relatively new golfer, but one thing that's taken a huge step forward is driving and it's led to one eagle and three almost eagles (two ruined by very makeable puts) already this season. I've been hitting 280-290 consistently but have been pushing 310-320 when I connect nicely, which is starting to happen quite regularly.

How does that type of driving compare to the average golfer? It feels great compared to my other shots that's all I know. It's too bad everything else in golf is so hard to perfect yet count the exact same in strokes!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 03:58 PM   #1284
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Average golfers don't play at this elevation.

That said, you are definitely above average.

The guys on the CanTour will be bombing it 360+ this week at Country Hills.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:00 PM   #1285
jayswin

Exp:

Huge credit to MalcomK on advice and selling me my first driver a few years ago. If you're new to the sport and need some advice on buying clubs send him a PM for sure. He's also a chronic club purchaser so you can pick up his old stuff at the end of seasons!

EDIT: It's funny how quickly you go from "Everyone's so intimidating and it sucks having people behind you and feeling the pressure" to "Man, everyone's so amateur and it sucks having people in front of you!".

Last edited by jayswin; 07-31-2017 at 04:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 04:02 PM   #1286
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Average golfers don't play at this elevation.

That said, you are definitely above average.

The guys on the CanTour will be bombing it 360+ this week at Country Hills.
Hahaha, wow. Jesus, I can't even fathom what I could do to add 40 yards to my absolute best drives.

I guess at a certain point a golfer's mechanics on his drive are pretty much perfected and body build and proper strength training on specific muscles start to take over and get those extra yards?

EDIT: I'm assuming you meant that elevation takes off yards, not adds them?
Old 07-31-2017, 04:16 PM   #1287
RussianSpy
Draft Pick

Our elevation is quite high in the Calgary area. Thin air results in the ball travelling further. If you were to golf closer to sea level, you would notice the ball does not travel as far, it is often club lengths worth of distance and can be a humbling experience.
RussianSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:17 PM   #1288
jayswin

Exp:

Also, while on the topic of golf I should mention Wes from Calgarypuck that I've been buying top end golf balls of. On one hand it feels weird to attempt to add competition for these balls but he's been excellent to deal with and him and his partner can get almost anything in top shape.

I mean, I've even requested yellow of four different top quality balls and he's been able to come through that week and is very flexible on time and locations for exchange.

You can get all the top stuff (prov1/prov1x/tour preferred etc) for $25 a dozen and then eventually discounts for quantity and repeat business. Also, I believe it's $15 for a lot of the mid range stuff.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=155991

Last edited by jayswin; 07-31-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:18 PM   #1289
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianSpy View Post
Our elevation is quite high in the Calgary area. Thin air results in the ball travelling further. If you were to golf closer to sea level, you would notice the ball does not travel as far, it is often club lengths worth of distance and can be a humbling experience.
Thanks, Mr. Putin. Good to know, but I was hoping it was the opposite so I could go to California and add yards!
Old 07-31-2017, 04:20 PM   #1290
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess at a certain point a golfer's mechanics on his drive are pretty much perfected and body build and proper strength training on specific muscles start to take over and get those extra yards?
Strength training really doesn't help that much with the golf swing. There are plenty of people who will tell you that hitting the gym and bulking up hurts your game (look at Tiger and Rory for examples of bad turns after bulking up). The golf swing is about flexibility and the amount of energy stored, then released, in your coil (joke away). The best golfers in the world are usually very flexible. They also have the ability to accelerate through the ball like most people can't comprehend. Explosive distance happens knee-to-knee. A big back swing is not a requirement, and is usually counter to maintaining control. Learn to make a good core turn and then release that stored energy as you go from knee-to-knee through your swing is where you will find big distance with consistent control.

Quote:
EDIT: I'm assuming you meant that elevation takes off yards, not adds them?
Elevation adds yards. The thinner the air the longer the ball will travel. The heavier and more humid the air, the more resistance the ball feels. In the high, dry air of Calgary, you can hit the ball a mile. Go to sea level and you're going to lose a club or two in distance. If you go to the coast where there is a lot of humidity, you're going to really feel the difference.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 04:24 PM   #1291
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
The golf swing is about flexibility and the amount of energy stored, then released, in your coil (joke away). The best golfers in the world are usually very flexible. They also have the ability to accelerate through the ball like most people can't comprehend. Explosive distance happens knee-to-knee. A big back swing is not a requirement, and is usually counter to maintaining control. Learn to make a good core turn and then release that stored energy as you go from knee-to-knee through your swing is where you will find big distance with consistent control.
Awesome, thanks for all this, I'll try this advice out at the range. Do you think it's worth it to take personal lessons? I've always balked due to the price, and some people have said you can get the same results from everything online these days combined with just taking in whatever experienced golfers around you are willing to dish out without annoying them.

I'd pony up if I thought I could get good value out of it but I'm not swimming in cash so I wouldn't want to dish out $200+ bucks and not come out of it a noticeably better golfer (or at least being given some tools to start becoming better).
Old 07-31-2017, 04:27 PM   #1292
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pros have teachers/coaches. No reason for an amateur not to have one.

My index dropped from 15 to 10 in one year working with my pro. If I could putt I'd be a mid single digit.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:32 PM   #1293
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Pros have teachers/coaches. No reason for an amateur not to have one.

My index dropped from 15 to 10 in one year working with my pro. If I could putt I'd be a mid single digit.
If you don't mind me asking what did it cost you for a full year working with a pro? Or is it one of those "If you have to ask you can't afford it scenarios"?

Last edited by jayswin; 07-31-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:36 PM   #1294
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a couple years ago, I paid around $350 for 5 lessons.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:37 PM   #1295
jayswin

Exp:

That's not bad at all. In Calgary here? Is he someone you'd recommend?
Old 07-31-2017, 04:39 PM   #1296
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for all this, I'll try this advice out at the range. Do you think it's worth it to take personal lessons? I've always balked due to the price, and some people have said you can get the same results from everything online these days combined with just taking in whatever experienced golfers around you are willing to dish out without annoying them.

I'd pony up if I thought I could get good value out of it but I'm not swimming in cash so I wouldn't want to dish out $200+ bucks and not come out of it a noticeably better golfer (or at least being given some tools to start becoming better).
Having a relationship with a teaching pro is always a good idea. You don't have to take a lot of lessons, just a few here and there. When things are going sideways it is always great to have a knowledgeable set of eyes there to recommend corrections. As you work with the same person they will get to know your limitations and help you fine tune your swing and make things work for your ability. If you have someone tell you they can make you swing like Tiger Woods, keep looking for a pro. A good pro will work with the athleticism and body you currently possess, not try to tear you down and rebuild you. Golf should be fun. The minute it starts being work for you is the time to take up a new pursuit. A good pro will make your practice time as much fun as going out and playing a round.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 04:42 PM   #1297
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's not bad at all. In Calgary here? Is he someone you'd recommend?
I see Kim Wilkowich down at River's Edge in Okotoks. He's around $75/lesson.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:50 PM   #1298
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

76 and 78 today. Put a couple good rounds together!

Played 14 rounds in July with a scoring average of 82.6! Probably my best month ever!

Four rounds under 80. Worst round was a 91. Index down to a 9.0.

Last edited by malcolmk14; 07-31-2017 at 04:59 PM.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 05:17 PM   #1299
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Played round #54 this afternoon. My putting has gone to hell in a handbasket. I've lost all feel for distance and have been 3 putting a lot in the last few weeks.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:39 PM   #1300
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

We need a CP golf day, anyone up for it?

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow