Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-20-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Street Parking (rant)

Why do people insist on parking on the street? It does nothing but clutter the roads. I am in McKenzie Towne and the bylaw states that home owners are to have 2 parking spots at the back. Yet if you walk through the alley at least half of the spots behind the houses are empty and they have their cars out front. Or better yet I've seen some people put a garage out back and still park out front. There are several residential roads in my area that two cars can not drive through simultaneously because of cars parked on both sides. So it becomes a tedious process to get down some of the roads because I'll have to pull over to the curb, if there is nobody parked there, or very close to a parked car, so someone else can squeeze through, and then it's my turn. Anyone else having this problem in their neighborhood?

Edit: It also makes it difficult when you get to an intersection because generally you can't see if cars are coming.

Last edited by shane_c; 12-20-2006 at 02:46 PM.
shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

McKenzie Towne is like a can of sardines. I thought you couldn't park in an alley overnight?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

I tried parking in a tree once, but it just ****ed off the robins who were nesting there. There's a pond down at the end of my street...I might try that one next.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Boo hoo, at least you don't have people who live in other neighborhoods (like Mackenzie Town) park in front of your house illegally so they can walk to downtown because they know they will only get a small ticket once every month.
Agreed.

The way to get rid of them is call the parkin authority at about 11am about them, before that take a white piece of chalk and mark their tires.

They wont park near you anymore.

MYK
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #5
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

I park on the street because my apartment complex doesn't have enough parking spaces.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #6
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, it sounds like they've finally succeeded in bringing in all of the European essence into McKenzie Towne -- including an abundance of cars parked everywhere, rendering the streets useless.

Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:42 AM   #7
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Wow, it sounds like they've finally succeeded in bringing in all of the European essence into McKenzie Towne -- including an abundance of cars parked everywhere, rendering the streets useless.

sounds like Philadelphia. If it isn't a sidewalk, there's a car parked there guaranteed.

We don't have a parking problem on our street as there's barely enough room for one car in front of most people's homes.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #8
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's always amazed me as to the number of people that actually don't park in the garage - instead choosing to turn it into their own personal warehouse o' stuff.

Raise it through your community association, perhaps they can do something.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:10 PM   #9
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just because they build a garage, doesn't mean they have to put the cars in it.

Workshops, storage... etc.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #10
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

My single detached garage is used to store my tent trailer. I like parking on the street anyways, it's closer to the front door.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #11
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
McKenzie Towne is like a can of sardines. I thought you couldn't park in an alley overnight?
No, behind each house there is parking for 2 vehicles.
shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:51 PM   #12
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

My street parking pet peeve is when my neighbours park in front of my house instead of their own - when there is plenty of open space in front of their house. One of my neighbours consistently parked with one wheel on my grass until I went postal on her.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #13
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I live in Mactown and I take the spot in front of my house cause it is closer to my door then the back park pad (I'm lazy) and there is really no law against it. Also a neighbour two doors down has five cars and only puts one in his garage, so I take the spot in front of my house when I can so he won't steal it (cause he has left he car in front of my house for long peroids of time). I also park there so my guest at least have a parking spot in the back because there is no parking in the evening
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #14
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those condos that went up sure put a strain on finding parking too
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:58 PM   #15
Incinerator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love reserved underground parking
Incinerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:47 AM   #16
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Maybe people aren't parking in the back because the alley isn't paved and they don't want their cars dirty or stuck...
Then again, it's probably closer to the other reason Tiger cited... To keep 5 cars owners from taking up the whole street.
I used to live 3 doors down from a guy that had 4 vehicles. These things weren't small either. Two extended vans, a long box truck and a frickin stationwagon.
Between this guy and my other neighbour with the RMS Titanic (wait, maybe it was a late 70's Lincoln), there was rarely a parking spot near my door.

What can you do except to try to park in front of your own house just to assert yourself?

Most annoying thing about parking in places like mactown (elgin way is a bitch) is that you have a faux sense of ownership for the front of your house that inevitably gets no respect from one a$$hat in the neighbourhood.
Really, it's understandable that on a friday or saturday night one of your neighbours has a shindig and you get stiffed for a spot, but every day makes a guy want to park on the perp's lawn just to say '**** you'.

At least in higher density neighbourhoods it's an accepted fact that there's not enough room in front of the building for all 20something cars for that building and therefore it's a free-for-all.

The people in the neighbourhoods that deliberately park in front of a neighbour's house, or even worse are the ****ers that deliberately take up two spots so that wifey can call 5 min before getting home and she has a spot (in front of YOUR house) are the ones that are asking for dis-inflated tires.

Hmmm... Did I even make a point?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote