Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #21
Prufrock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I stiill think it's Jankowski for me.

Great rookie season in the AHL, now time for the former 1st rounder to make some noise in the NHL.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #22
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of options, but I will say in general it's the former first round pick prospects; Shinkaruk, Poirier, Klimchuk and Lazar.

I guess Lazar is not a prospect any longer, but he really hasn't shown much at the NHL level.

All of these guys have yet to to prove they belong in the NHL. This is the year to do it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #23
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

all the prospects that Vegas didn't want for free
Old 08-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #24
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charsiu View Post
All of this said, what about Hunter Smith? Does he have the ability to prove himself more than a big body worthy of a 2nd round pick?
Yes. He was supposed to have NHL upside. I'm not even sure he has AHL upside at the moment. Power forwards take longer, but he's really taking his time to show some progress. Even his PIMs were down last year, and if he's only got 4th line enforcer type upside, that's one thing you would want to see increase in the AHL, since it's a league with fighters. I suspect that unless he takes a big step forward this year, he won't get a new contract with the Flames.

And just as a reminder, he was a 2nd round pick. Good players are found regularly in that round, not guys who can barely play in the AHL.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #25
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Yes. He was supposed to have NHL upside. I'm not even sure he has AHL upside at the moment. Power forwards take longer, but he's really taking his time to show some progress. Even his PIMs were down last year, and if he's only got 4th line enforcer type upside, that's one thing you would want to see increase in the AHL, since it's a league with fighters. I suspect that unless he takes a big step forward this year, he won't get a new contract with the Flames.

And just as a reminder, he was a 2nd round pick. Good players are found regularly in that round, not guys who can barely play in the AHL.
I am aware of where he was picked and am not saying that it was a stupid pick at the time, but if he does not progress beyond where he currently is, it will certainly be a disappointment.
Charsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:13 PM   #26
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am aware of where he was picked and am not saying that it was a stupid pick at the time, but if he does not progress beyond where he currently is, it will certainly be a disappointment.
I wasn't trying to address you with that sentence, more the rest of the board. A lot of people seem to lower expectations for him, but based on where he was picked, he should be a lot closer to the NHL than he currently is. So I was agreeing with what you said and reiterating that particular point.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #27
greentree
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's Jankowski. Drafted way back in 2012 with Gillies, which is earlier than any other prospect under discussion here aside from Wotherspoon, who I don't see as anything more than a 6/7 dman.
Jankowski is now a consensus top 3--for many, the #1--Flames prospect. Plays centre. Big guy. High ceiling. Coming off an excellent AHL rookie campaign. He's now a second year pro, will be 23 years old this fall. Can he build on last year? Can he play to his NHL potential? Jury is out. Prove it, Janko!
greentree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #28
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski. For three years now he's been held back from where he should be playing.

In 2014-15, he was arguably Providence' best center, or at absolute worst second best behind the graduating Acciari, yet found himself behind the graduating Mauermann as the team's 3rd line center.

In 2015-16, he was arguably an AHL caliber player, but was forced by management to finish off his NCAA career. I think there was a little bit of chip on his shoulder about not getting signed after his play in 2014-15.

In 2016-17, he probably should have played 40+ NHL games, maybe even the whole season, but our center depth and lack of injuries kept him to one whole NHL game. He was clearly too good for the AHL especially once he got a hang of the systems.

Next year, Jankowski is entering his Draft+6 season. He is one of the last guys from his draft first round to be Calder-Eligible... and yet somehow he is still exempt from waivers while guys from the 2013 draft class are now eligible. It is not impossible for him to be "Markus Granlund'd" to the minors simply because of that. He has to prove he is an NHLer, and a good one worthy of a first round pick six years prior. He is joining a team with Backlund, Monahan, Bennett, Stajan, Lazar down the middle but has less rapport with the coaches than any of those five. He carries the additional risk of playing limited minutes if he does make it, which would being back the return of the perceived bust label regardless of performance, and as we have seen with Ferland, if you are buried on line 4 you get the "inconsistent" label put on you regardless of game-to-game performance. He is a left handed shot on a team whose power play already took PP time away from Bennett and Ferland for the sake of Versteeg, Brouwer, and Frolik.

For a guy whose game is so versatile, so skilled, with so many physical tools, so much controversy around his draft, and so much ability to truly help the NHL Flames... Mark Jankowski has a lot to prove.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 08-15-2017 at 02:38 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #29
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I was just about to put this. He is not a prospect anymore and yet he has not been able to utilize his actual abilities and skill. With his shot and physical play he has the tools to be a top 6 power forward, he just needs to be consistent.
If Ferland can find that the Flames are not going to need that top 6 RW we are looking for. Listening to BT talk about him you can tell the Flames see that the talent is there.
Backlund was able to figure it out I am hoping Ferland emerges the same way!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:32 PM   #30
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
In your opinion, what do you think the timeline is for each player respectively?

Given the depth on D, Wotherspoon is probably most firmly under the hammer. Then Shinkaruk, since he has failed to show any real substance to his game beyond goal scoring, a stat he even regressed on from 15-16 to 16-17.

Poirier has to prove that he still has that intangible grit and intensity which made him an attractive prospect in the first place.

Whereas McDonald need to fight relegation he seems to face against Rittich and Parsons.
Agreed with you that Wotherspoon and Shinkaruk have the most to prove immediately. Both may be moved on from if they do not show well on the NHL this season.

Poirier could have a season or two but he's got a lot to prove, needs to rebound this year somewhat.

Mason McDonald has years to turn it around.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #31
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski for sure.

He goes from prospect to likely bust if he doesn't solidify a spot in the lineup this season.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #32
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Jankowski for sure.

He goes from prospect to likely bust if he doesn't solidify a spot in the lineup this season.
Wow, he has had only 1 pro season and you already have him at a do or die point in his career. If there is one prospect that is at this point in his career, it is Shinkaruk.

I won't consider Jankowski a "likely bust" until he has proven he can't consistently be an AHL leader and fill in admirable as an NHL callup over the next couple of seasons. The kid has a ton of potential but he has always slowly gained momentum in new challenges.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #33
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Last edited by JFK; 08-17-2017 at 10:06 PM. Reason: not worth it
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #34
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Which Flames prospect has the most to prove in 2017-18

I definitely think it's Hunter Shinkaruk. He's had his "taste" so he should have a good understanding of what it takes to stick in the line-up. He's got a solid skillset, but needs the relentless hustle and attention to detail to push himself over the edge into full-time duty. I'm hoping he has a big camp. After him, I'd say it's Wotherspoon (I'm shocked he was qualified) and Kulak who have to show what they've got.

Outside of the three mentioned above, I think everyone still has time. Kylington and Andersson have shown continued growth, and there's no reason to rush them into the NHL given our depth at that level. Patience is the key with those two, let them develop properly. Jankowski only has one year of pro so far, and another full year in the AHL wouldn't be a bad thing - and would likely be huge for the Heat as far as winning is concerned. Next year could be an interesting one for the team if Jankowski stays at that level - I could see them competing for the Calder Cup.

So yeah, Shinkaruk.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #35
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hathaway too. I think Treliving had Hathaway in mind when he bought out Bouma. Hathaway has been given an inside track to make the team out of camp IMO. If he doesn't do it this year, he is likely done.

As for Shinkaruk, I think last year was his year to make the team and stick. Now, a bunch of other forwards have passed him. The only way he gets NHL games this season is if he dominates in Stockton.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:04 PM   #36
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
What a troll.
Maybe it takes one to know one. Oil Stain is right. This is draft+6 for Jankowski. If he is going to be an NHLer he is going to have to play in the NHL at some point.

Last edited by Mister Yamoto; 08-15-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #37
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
Maybe it takes one to know one. Oil Stain is right. This is draft+6 for Jankowski. If he is going to be an NHLer he is going to have to play in the NHL at some point.
Thanks.

I think its fair for this to be the season for Jankowski to show what he has.

He's turning 23 going into this season after having a strong AHL season. If he's a good NHL prospect he should be able to stick into the lineup at some point in this season.

If he doesn't then I think there are some questions about what the Flames org doesn't like about him.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:49 PM   #38
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
If he doesn't then I think there are some questions about what the Flames org doesn't like about him.
Or maybe the Flames organization just finds themselves between a rock and a hard place with Jankowski being a center and them having many centers. It's possible they wait until Stajan is traded / expires before Jankowski gets his opportunity. That would be not unlike Ferland, who was sent down until we cleared Curtis Glencross, and hasn't looked back since.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 11:09 PM   #39
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Or maybe the Flames organization just finds themselves between a rock and a hard place with Jankowski being a center and them having many centers. It's possible they wait until Stajan is traded / expires before Jankowski gets his opportunity.

This. Unless they're willing to eat Stajans salary while he rides the pine, I think MJ plays almost another full season in The AHL.

Scenario B for me is that they see too much potential in him and shift Bennett to the wing to accommodate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigRed For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 11:20 PM   #40
jemjey
Scoring Winger

Exp:

good thread. I say Poirier, will be rooting for him to have a bounce back season and maybe earn a call-up or two.
jemjey is offline   Reply With Quote