Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-30-2016, 11:51 AM   #41
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
As a guy who has his second most hours in Medic for TF2, this has been my policy for the last 8.5 years. Screw trying to heal people that won't defend you. You're a goddamn resource, not a bonus.
I find it so much worse in Overwatch since the team size is smaller. If your team isn't working with the tanks/support then you're wasting a hero slot. May as well do some damage.

Just last night I had some loser Genji give me #### for switching off Lucio. I was the only person on the team trying to push the cart while the rest were off playing TDM. I practically won the game on my own by switching to Soldier 76 and spent 86% of the match on fire.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #42
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

That's the one reason I haven't purchased the game yet I think. I'm not a fan of the small team size.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #43
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the maps and overall "firepower" level is well suited to the 6v6, but I would like to see how the game played with 8v8 or 10v10 for ####s and giggles.

The amount of shots required to kill an enemy should be directly proportional to the amount of players in a match (overall). I think Overwatch would work well with more players if there was a scaling damage debuff related to the player count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 05-30-2016 at 12:13 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #44
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the small team sizes. If forces players to play the objective or lose (and quickly). TF2 is too much a team deathmatch even with objectives because of the large team sizes.

With that said, unbalanced teams are not fun. Even a slight imbalance usually leads to one team dominating and the game ending quickly.

When the teams are balanced, it's unbelievable fun.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #45
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like one of the trophies is glitched. "Lockdown" -- win a capture map on defense without the attacking team capturing the first point. I've done this a few times, no trophy. It's showing 0% completion, so nobody anywhere has it.

Not that it's a big deal, that trophy list is crazy. Most of them count on luck, or right place-right time scenarios.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:46 AM   #46
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Haha. Spoiler for image size.

Spoiler!
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 12:16 PM   #47
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got a Symmetra play of the game yesterday. Mostly due to the other team's Reinhart being totally incompetent. But still, it was pretty cool to see it pop up! Got about 4 eliminations and teleported three players during a big push by the opposing team on the point.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #48
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

How is the learning curve for this game, really tempted to pick it up but fast paced jumping games like how all the online COD etc became are not my strong suit.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:47 PM   #49
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
How is the learning curve for this game, really tempted to pick it up but fast paced jumping games like how all the online COD etc became are not my strong suit.
I never play shooters and I'm usually pretty bad at them, but I picked this up last week and I'm having a blast so far. Some of the heroes are much easier to play than others, but overall I'd say it's very easy to just start playing and learn as you go. I could be wrong, but I'm sure the game has some sort of hidden

Take the plunge!
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2016, 03:51 PM   #50
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Yay 4 days off, time to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #51
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meant to say hidden matchmaking rating, but yeah, do it, you'll have fun for sure.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #52
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
If you're coming from COD, start with Soldier 76, he'll be the easiest to learn. If you're having trouble killing people try playing as a support character. Someone like Lucio can be the MVP of the match without a single kill, if you can just stay close to your teammates and try not to die
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:45 PM   #53
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch some YouTube vids if you're struggling with a hero or countering them. I've learned more watching a few vids than trying to grind through it myself.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:53 PM   #54
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got bashed last night by my teammates while playing Lucio. Apparently I don't know how to play a healer (Lucio is AoE heals, so it's hard to focus on anyone directly). They all went around doing their own things solo. The point was a side objective to them. Still managed 13k healing done.

But apparently it's me who doesn't know how to play.

Last edited by Ashasx; 06-01-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:51 PM   #55
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have tried various FPS shooter style games over the years, and not really liked any of them.

I came into Overwatch with pretty much no experience, and a friend telling me to "just give it a try."

I have, and I really like it. I still find that it can be difficult for me to aim. I find it frustrating when I unload an entire clip into someone, and then they turn around and 1 shot me. So there will be frustrations as you get the hang of it.

I've also started playing toons that play to my strengths. I really like Reinhardt...but almost no aiming is required of him. He's a melee toon with a cleave. I like Mercy. Lock on and heal away. Winston's Tesla cannon requires no aiming. Symmetra's cannon can lock onto people. Zarya has a nice long beam that helps one aim.

I am also finding as I play those toons, my aim is improving, so I've been branching out a bit slowly, going with Soldier 76 and Mcree and Pharah.

If you are finding that you don't seem to be killing (or even hitting) anything, try starting with toons that don't require as much or as finicky aim. Then as you get a better feel for it, your options open up.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:14 AM   #56
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Blizzard does one thing right (I know - it usually does everything right) it's making a game accessible to noobs. WoW and Hearthstone are the embodiment of that. I think they've done the same with Overwatch here - a FPS that even my wife has had a go on and not been completely overwhelmed. Even the post game summaries are designed to not make you feel or stand out as the one who sucked the most.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #57
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I got bashed last night by my teammates while playing Lucio. Apparently I don't know how to play a healer (Lucio is AoE heals, so it's hard to focus on anyone directly). They all went around doing their own things solo. The point was a side objective to them. Still managed 13k healing done.

But apparently it's me who doesn't know how to play.
13K healing is insane for even a totally dedicated healer like Mercy, let alone Lucio. People were bashing you for that? Absurd.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #58
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
13K healing is insane for even a totally dedicated healer like Mercy, let alone Lucio. People were bashing you for that? Absurd.
They stopped the trash talk (or left) once they saw my medal at the end of the game. Still frustrating during though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2016, 06:07 PM   #59
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
That's the one reason I haven't purchased the game yet I think. I'm not a fan of the small team size.
Yup. I'll freely admit that I am not terribly great at shooters - especially ones this diverse in terms of roles. I dislike small team sizes because I dislike being too much of a liability - though skill matching helps - or because I hate having my team hosed by someone worse than I am. I think even just 10v10 would smooth things like that out considerably.

How is communication handled with teammates in random matches? Text chat, or expectation of picking up a head set?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:41 PM   #60
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
How is communication handled with teammates in random matches? Text chat, or expectation of picking up a head set?
My experience has been that it's not handled at all. Some folks have a headset, but you rarely hear much from them beyond "Hi" at the start and then eating as their mic is set to pickup.

Generally, folks are expected to know what to do...and surprisingly, since it's pretty basic, most folks do. But it's pretty obvious when you have a group of 6 pickups vs a team of 3-6 who are communicating.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote