Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #61
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Wonderful season closer. Brings Season 1 full circle with the novels (though it got there in it's own way) and we're about half way thru the first graphic novel set (like, 4 issues in-ish?)
Hah... they pretty much just finished issue #1, and obviously did it totally differently. So unless this series is going to have 66 seasons in it, I'm assuming it's going to take its own path away from the source material.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #62
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I love the sarcasm in this show, both from the characters and the writers.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #63
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Meat!!!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:56 AM   #64
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Hah... they pretty much just finished issue #1, and obviously did it totally differently. So unless this series is going to have 66 seasons in it, I'm assuming it's going to take its own path away from the source material.
Ok I put no spoilers in the title but I guess we can talk a little in general...

I would assume they will now be able to follow the comics a little closer. At first I felt that maybe they were going to ignore the comics altogether but now that season 1 has wrapped it seems to me they just didn't want to dive into things. There is also that storyline in book 1 of the graphic novel, that I assume they didn't want to follow. They've now spent an entire season slowly introducing us to the characters instead of totally jumping in midstory like the comic does.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:04 AM   #65
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, I was trying to word everything in a way that's vague enough that no one who hasn't read the comics would learn anything at all but that anyone who has will know what I'm talking about.

I don't know that we can assume anything about where it's going considering how different it is in terms of, let's say, the path taken to get to where the story is at the end of season 1 - that is to say, the three amigos in a diner, about to hit the road with Annville blown to smithereens and a cowboy from hell looking for Jesse.

I don't object to the changes at all, I just plan to watch it as a show sort of loosely based on the comics rather than a re-telling of the same story with some stuff left out or changed slightly, a la Game of Thrones.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #66
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I don't object to the changes at all, I just plan to watch it as a show sort of loosely based on the comics rather than a re-telling of the same story with some stuff left out or changed slightly, a la Game of Thrones.
I would be pleasantly surprised either way, but there are at least 3 or 4 touchstone moments in the book series that I really hope they land on at some point, because they are just so damn good and would be a lot of fun to see on the big small screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #67
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I would be pleasantly surprised either way, but there are at least 3 or 4 touchstone moments in the book series that I really hope they land on at some point, because they are just so damn good and would be a lot of fun to see on the big small screen.
wub, wub.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:32 PM   #68
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

"What'd you do with all the dinosaurs??"

The guy who asked this was so emphatic about it lol.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:41 PM   #69
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The search for God starts us off in Season 2 which aired on Sunday with a second episode that aired tonight, its normal time slot (Monday @ 7pm). I absolutely loved the first season of this series and so far the second season looks to pick up right where we left off while possibly improving if the first two episodes are proof of anything. AMC has encore showings of both episodes if you missed them.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:44 PM   #70
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

First two episodes were pretty good. Having read the books it is interesting how my expectations have changed. In season 1 I kept expecting them to follow the comics.

Now I don't even consider the comic storylines. I'm just enjoying the show as it's own thing.

Ruth Negga is awesome. I couldn't imagine a more perfect Tulip. She looks nothing like her book counterpart but has the character down perfectly. And the guy playing Cassidy is equally as perfect for the role.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #71
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Really loving this season so far. It's really amazing that they've managed to diverge so far from the source material while still maintaining effective storylines and dialogue. Whenever TWD or GoT diverges they seem to end up with the sand snakes or garbage pail kids.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:44 PM   #72
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Season 2 hasn't been as good as the first which is fine but what happened to ep5? It was a complete waste of time, beyond awful.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:48 AM   #73
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Season 2 hasn't been as good as the first which is fine but what happened to ep5? It was a complete waste of time, beyond awful.
Huh, different strokes and all that it seems. I've found season two to be so much better than season one that if someone was coming in cold I'd tell them to skip season one altogether.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #74
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Yeah I liked yesterday's episode. Gave us some background on the characters and how they came to be where they are now.

I anticipate much of the series will be about the journey to find god, not the destination.

The only thing is that I really wish we got more of Arseface in hell. What a great storyline that is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #75
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last episode wasn't a waste of time, as it did fill in some key backstory for understanding the main characters, but it did further undermine my enjoyment of the show -- Now we know that Jesse is a pouty psychopath, who ended his relationship with Tulip, but will flat-out torture the man who came in and treated her very well afterward. And we know that Tulip is an unrepentant criminal who will forgive Jesse for any amount of poutiness and psycopathy (so long as he doesn't get in the way of her criminal career). Why am I wanting to spend time with and rooting for these characters??
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #76
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
The last episode wasn't a waste of time, as it did fill in some key backstory for understanding the main characters, but it did further undermine my enjoyment of the show -- Now we know that Jesse is a pouty psychopath, who ended his relationship with Tulip, but will flat-out torture the man who came in and treated her very well afterward. And we know that Tulip is an unrepentant criminal who will forgive Jesse for any amount of poutiness and psycopathy (so long as he doesn't get in the way of her criminal career). Why am I wanting to spend time with and rooting for these characters??
The only true protagonist is Cassidy. The Vampire searching for God. Hes mostly worth this show all on his own.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #77
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Put me in the camp that didn't really care for last week's episode. It really didn't disclose all that much about Tulip's past, and the majority of the time was spent focusing on Jesse's anger over the situation. Personally, I feel like Jesse's relationship with Tulip is more complex, and they never seem to outright state that they love each other. Having Jesse go into rage mode for most of the episode over Tulip's previous relationship just seemed a bit too simplistic.

The show has generally been a lot more creative about backstories and motivations. This could have been done a lot better. Love the show overall, but the last episode was boring.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #78
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

As expected Herr Star is amazing. Goddamn his training scenes were funny.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 08-14-2017, 11:34 PM   #79
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Yeah, the back door." Hahahahahahhaa

Star is amazing.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:41 AM   #80
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That was ####ing hilarious. And it gets funnier the more you think about it.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote