Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #861
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Been meaning to try out an antenna for a long time, finally impulse bought a cheap one on Prime Day.

I live on Signal Hill and I'm within 5 miles of the broadcast towers for the 6 main channels. I thought just about any indoor antenna would be fine, but the one I got receives only the first three of these:

I tried multiple locations, including outdoors, and saw no effect.

Am I missing something or is this just an awful antenna?
I bought an expensive RCA antenna from Wal Mart to try this out and it failed to pick up channels. Most of the modern ones seem to suck. Eventually I found one of those 1980s TV antennas with the little plastic dish and UHF/VHF/FM tuning, etc. in a thrift store for $2 and it picks up every OTA HD channel when put on the balcony, even on a balcony in the middle of downtown surrounded by other buildings.

There's something deliciously nice about getting clear HD signals over 30 year old TV technology.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #862
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Anyone here gone the IPTV route? Or is that not good to discuss here since it's on the shadier side of the line
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #863
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Anyone here gone the IPTV route? Or is that not good to discuss here since it's on the shadier side of the line
There are absolutely 100% legal IPTV options. Those that aren't legal are black, not shady.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #864
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yea, usually when I heard IPTV I think of subscription-based television that happens to be delivered over the Internet rather than via cable or satellite. I understand that Shaw's BlueSky service is IPTV, as is Telus's Optik service.

Of course, illegal or grey area streaming services will also deliver their content over the Internet. I guess sometimes this is also referred to as IPTV? That can make it pretty confusing.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #865
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

With Disney backing out of Netflix I'm wondering how many others will back out to become their own content providers. A decade from now are we going to be paying $10/month for each content provider? I'm guessing $100/month will become the norm. YouTube's looking for subscriptions already.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #866
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
With Disney backing out of Netflix I'm wondering how many others will back out to become their own content providers. A decade from now are we going to be paying $10/month for each content provider? I'm guessing $100/month will become the norm. YouTube's looking for subscriptions already.
There is a business to be created that would curate all of the different providers, and offer them as a "package deal".

Small content providers would benefit by getting exposed - "buy the Disney channel, HBO and SportsNet and you'll also get X Y and Z." And big companies could offset their costs and potentially offer a small discount for a long term package commitment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman90 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #867
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
There is a business to be created that would curate all of the different providers, and offer them as a "package deal".

Small content providers would benefit by getting exposed - "buy the Disney channel, HBO and SportsNet and you'll also get X Y and Z." And big companies could offset their costs and potentially offer a small discount for a long term package commitment.
I see what you did there.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #868
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

What benefit would there be to sportsnet, hbo or Disney selling their product at a discount through a third party provider? If I'm sportsnet, why should I join Netflix?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #869
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
What benefit would there be to sportsnet, hbo or Disney selling their product at a discount through a third party provider? If I'm sportsnet, why should I join Netflix?
One could say the same today. If I an Universal Studios, or Sony Pictures, or MGM why would I stay with Netflix and not do my own streaming service?

I don't think the average consumer wants to subscribe to each channel/content provider's service separately and then remember what is where, or open one app, browse, close it, open another, etc.

For sure there will be some people - like the majority of CP members - who would subscribe to SportsNet at full price and stand alone, because we are sports fans. But many people who watch the occasional game might not, but would take it if it was included with ABC/NBC/CBC which they want to watch their primetime TV shows - for the extra few bucks they can watch the game when they get the urge.

The average CP fan might want to get TSN,SportsNet, Fox Sports, etc. But they might not be willing to pay full price for say the Gameshow Network, or TLC. So the same kind of package would apply here.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #870
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Netflix has noticeably dropped in content to the point where I'm about ready to cancel it now. Their own produced content (House of Cards, Glow, Stranger Things) I love, but it's like HBO now where I only subscribe for the 6 weeks I need it for Game of Thrones or Westworld.

The market for digital streaming is getting super fragmented. I wonder if these companies will see return in their investment? I cannot see myself subscribing long term to four or five different ones.

I also wonder if this drives more people to piracy.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #871
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been feeling this too. The content in Canada really is subpar. When I was traveling I got the opportunity to see what was available abroad, and it was actually really good. New season of Rick and Morty, Anne with an E, etc.

I wish it were possible to region switch again. Would make Netflix infinitely better.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #872
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One could say the same today. If I an Universal Studios, or Sony Pictures, or MGM why would I stay with Netflix and not do my own streaming service?

I don't think the average consumer wants to subscribe to each channel/content provider's service separately and then remember what is where, or open one app, browse, close it, open another, etc.

For sure there will be some people - like the majority of CP members - who would subscribe to SportsNet at full price and stand alone, because we are sports fans. But many people who watch the occasional game might not, but would take it if it was included with ABC/NBC/CBC which they want to watch their primetime TV shows - for the extra few bucks they can watch the game when they get the urge.

The average CP fan might want to get TSN,SportsNet, Fox Sports, etc. But they might not be willing to pay full price for say the Gameshow Network, or TLC. So the same kind of package would apply here.
I imagine what we'll see is variious apps like say Discovery/Scripps that offer cheap or free ad supported versions and $5-10 ad free options. The big conglomerates that have the expensive channels (Disney/ESPN, Fox, NBCUniversal, etc.) will do the same where they bundle their own properties for $10-15 ad-free/cheaper with ads.

Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV both already do a decent job of letting you go directly to a show from their main menu regardless of what app it is on.

I currently am on Directv Now IPTV, which saved a lot of money over regular Directv. With that, I get access to all the various TV network apps. But it's hard to see the value that Directv Now provides over the various apps which are becoming more and more consistent. I would be surprised if these services survive past the point of reach mass market.

Disney/ESPN are going to be in for a huge correction though as this all plays out. I think enough people value ESPN to make it viable once it basically become a la carte. But their revenue is going to take at least a 50-75% hit when people are no longer forced to pay $15/month for them.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #873
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Netflix is definitely losing its appeal. While I like their original programming, the big appeal to me has always been the back catalogue of TV shows and movies. These days, I'd say Crave actually has them beat on the TV catalogue front. Netflix is rapidly on it's way to becoming just a bigger HBO.

I've been a staunch opponent of piracy since forever. But if the digital media environment gets fragmented so much that I need to pay for six different services at $90 a month just to get a decent breadth of content, I may well consider the pirating route. And once people like me switch to piracy, the content providers are hooped.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #874
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Netflix is definitely losing its appeal. While I like their original programming, the big appeal to me has always been the back catalogue of TV shows and movies. These days, I'd say Crave actually has them beat on the TV catalogue front. Netflix is rapidly on it's way to becoming just a bigger HBO.

I've been a staunch opponent of piracy since forever. But if the digital media environment gets fragmented so much that I need to pay for six different services at $90 a month just to get a decent breadth of content, I may well consider the pirating route. And once people like me switch to piracy, the content providers are hooped.
If my bill remained the same, and I had less channels, but all my money went to the shows I watched, I'd be happy. $90 seems high though. I only watch scripted shows from HBO, AMC, and NEtflix it seems. I'd imagine you could get those 3 for $30 easily, I'm sure. I'd imagine there will be a cheap option for stuff I watch that don't care enough to pay for like Discovery shows. That leaves sports that you should be able to get for no more than $20 a month.

$50/month seems realistic for most people, I'd think. And that should be $50 all in. No $10/month per tv, $20/month for dvr, $8/month is stupid fees, that always send most cable bills over $100.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:09 PM   #875
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just ordered some new equipment to stream/record OTA onto Plex.

Can't wait for it to arrive!
Old 10-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #876
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So it's been a few years since I cut the cord and started this thread but lately I've been thinking about reconnecting it.

We only get 2-3 channels OTA where I live (CBC, CTV and Global.... Global comes in only about 30% of the time). I've been using Plex for watching things on PBS, HGTV, etc..... The first while it was great but the last year or so a lot of the shows on there don't seem to be working for me.

I have phone and internet through Eastlink and they currently have a deal (until the end of Oct) where it would only cost me $4 more per month (over the next 2 years) to add about 150 channels and they give the option to swap out channels you don't want for others that you do.

Of course I would cancel again at the end of the 2 years but it's pretty tempting.....

Last edited by shane_c; 10-27-2017 at 10:16 AM.
shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shane_c For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #877
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ In my opinion, it's less about being off grid and more about not dropping $100 per month to watch TV.
If you can add 150 channels for $4 per month then I'd be all over that too.
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #878
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Yup same here. I was super happy to drop my $100 sat bill, but if I had that deal I'd be all over it.

Pisses me off that in my region to OTA channel (newcap) dropped HNIC.
stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 02:35 AM   #879
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
^ In my opinion, it's less about being off grid and more about not dropping $100 per month to watch TV.
If you can add 150 channels for $4 per month then I'd be all over that too.
For $4/month extra over the next 2 years I decided to reconnect. They are coming out on Saturday for the install. Last night I was going through the channel options because they allow me to swap channels I don't want for ones I do. It was pretty depressing going through and seeing what shows are on each channel. Since when did Travel+Escape start airing Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Charmed? SIGH. At least I'll only be out $4/month.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shane_c For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 06:42 AM   #880
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
For $4/month extra over the next 2 years I decided to reconnect. They are coming out on Saturday for the install. Last night I was going through the channel options because they allow me to swap channels I don't want for ones I do. It was pretty depressing going through and seeing what shows are on each channel. Since when did Travel+Escape start airing Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Charmed? SIGH. At least I'll only be out $4/month.
Enjoy your new channels!
The sucky part in most of Canada is lack of OTA.
Was very pleased, when I moved to montreal, to get 28 OTA channels instead of 5. Have since moved and just hooked up here in NW ruralish Chicagoland area, where first scan pulled in 103 channels.
I use TV listings and Guide Plus (android app) to view long range guides and set reminders. Highly recommended