Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-08-2016, 12:24 AM   #261
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A little off topic but does anyone else get clicking sounds during The Simpsons episodes that are recorded/viewed from the Gateway pvr system?

I record a number of shows from various channels but these clicks only occur for this series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #262
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Found a video that goes through a lot of the things that made the first 7 or 8 seasons so special and why the 20+ seasons since have been on a steady decline. It really just makes me appreciate those golden years of the show even more. It's a good watch.

Last edited by Ashasx; 08-18-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #263
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Simpsons

Homer at the Bat turns 25 this week. Fox has a new mockumentary on Sunday:

http://thecomeback.com/pop-culture/h...ut-sunday.html

Quote:
It’s hard to believe that the classic Simpsons premiered 25 years ago episode “Homer at the Bat” this past February. The softball episode with many baseball references and guest voices remains one of the best episodes in its 600+ episode history.

To celebrate the 25th anniversary, and create a bit of synergy for Fox’s World Series coverage, there will be a mockumentary about the episode featuring characters from the show as well as people in real life. The episode is set to premiere Sunday afternoon either at 3 PM ET or 4:30 PM ET depending on when you have an early or late afternoon NFL game.
Quote:
In this mockumentary, directed by Morgan Spurlock, is a satire of Ken Burns’ Baseball documentaries all about Homer being the hero of his team. Eight of the nine ringers will take part in the mockumentary to tell their “experiences” playing softball. And in addition to interviews with Homer, Comic Book Guy, Apu and Chief Wiggum (in animation), guests will include Aaron Judge, Nick Offerman, Russell Brand, George Will, Tim Gunn, Dr. Oz, Bob Costas, Joe Buck, Bob Uecker and Charissa Thompson (in live-action).
This was always one of my favorite episodes.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Last edited by MissTeeks; 10-19-2017 at 12:57 PM.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #264
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that was fantastic.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #265
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apu has fallen into the crosshairs of the internet lynch mob.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...in-plain-sight

Quote:
Hari Kondabolu doesn’t mince words about the impact the character on the long-running animation had on his own life. “Kids in the playground would always mimic the accent and say ‘Thank you, come again!’ or ‘Hello, Mr Homer!’” the Indian-American comedian tells BBC Culture. “Sure, growing up in New York City everyone tries to be funny. If you grow up there you learn to make jokes and how to make comebacks, but it’s hard to counter an accent – what’s your comeback for an accent?”
Quote:
MSN UKMSN UKVerified account
@msnuk This morning
The Simpsons' producers and Hank Azaria are planning to get together to decide what do to about the future of the Kwik-E-Mart owner following criticism over racial stereotyping.
Who's next the Bumblebee Man? Willie?

Last edited by Otto-matic; 12-04-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #266
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny because Apu is one of the more genuinely likable and functional characters on the show. His exaggerated characterization is what the series is all about. Most characters are an exaggeration or stereotype.

But it doesn't even matter anymore. Show is bad anyway.

Last edited by Ashasx; 12-04-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #267
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

That guy is a ####ing moron.

He legit doesn't understand that the stereotype is intentional just like all the other hilarious and borderline offensive stereotypes on the show.

Quote:
For years Apu Nahasapeemapetilon was the only person of South Asian descent depicted on US TV at all – a problem because he is a broad stereotype whose clownishness is his singular purpose. He exists to provoke a laugh. He is a cartoon literally and figuratively. What’s especially troubling about Apu as a stereotype is that, until recently, very few viewers in the US outside of the Indian-American community have addressed, talked about, or even recognised that Apu is a stereotype.
I mean honestly, is this guy serious? First off, he's wrong to say that very few people realize that Apu is a stereotype and second of all, even if they don't, should we really be banning characters because a bunch of uneducated moron americans don't understand the concept of a stereotype?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #268
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, since when does every show have to be PG and politically correct? The Simpsons are an American Classic for a reason.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #269
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

He legit doesn't understand that the stereotype is intentional just like all the other hilarious and borderline offensive stereotypes on the show.

I mean honestly, is this guy serious? First off, he's wrong to say that very few people realize that Apu is a stereotype and second of all, even if they don't, should we really be banning characters because a bunch of uneducated moron americans don't understand the concept of a stereotype?
I came to say the same thing, of course Apu is a stereotype, and if they didnt know that then they should be chained to the rock of shame.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #270
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who is Indian I say F you to that guy. You don't speak for all Indians, just because your not smart enough to get the joke don't cry and ruin it for everyone. I love the Simpsons and Apu is a huge part of that. Stop being so soft.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #271
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Well I think it's time that we as Canadians stand up and demand that South Park end the stereotype that we all have beady eyes and flapping heads. Everyone knows that only applies to Saskatchewan
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #272
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Welcome to the future where when people don't get it, they get angry about it and want everyone to adopt to their point of view.

I mean admittedly I haven't watched the Simpsons in years, it just stopped being funny or original a long time ago, but Apu was a great character because he was a caricature of how American's and even Canadians see foreigners on the outside.

But in this, everyone needs a hug and Social Warrioring its to be expected that someone would be offended by this character, because he doesn't get it.

Pretty soon all shows will star emotionless, color less robot characters that can offend nobody until Skynet activates and gets pissed off about how robots are portrayed.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #273
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it. - Mark Twain

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #274
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I came to say the same thing, of course Apu is a stereotype, and if they didnt know that then they should be chained to the rock of shame.
Locke and Cecil both get the stone of triumph!

Last edited by Otto-matic; 12-04-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #275
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Locke and Cecil both get the rock of triumph!
I feel the Stone of Shame...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #276
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It's a stone not a rock!

codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 09:28 PM   #277
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now I get the stone of shame
Old 12-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #278
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'm a white male aged 18-49, perhaps I'm looking too deep into the character or because I grew up with it I don't see how it's offensive.

Yes, Apu is an Indian man that runs a convenience store. That is a stereotype.

He's also the character on Television who gives the best customer service, I don't just mean on the Simpsons, can you name a TV or movie character who is better in the customer service industry than Apu? He knows his customers by name, he knows their orders, he effectively upsells without not only the customer realizing it, but as a viewer we don't even notice because he's so good at it.

Apu is incredibly intelligent, a very astute businessman, a loving father, and is living the American dream.

Is Apu a stereotype that is exaggerated for comedic effect? Yes. However so is Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, Maggie, Grandpa, Ned, Chief Wiggam, Eddie, Louie, Carl, Lenny, Moe, Mr. Burns, Smithers... I could go on.

Ultimately I agree it's time to end The Simpsons, however that has more to do with the fact that it's a generic sitcom and not the greatest show in TV history that it once was.

But again, I'm a white male aged 18-49, I'm open to hearing more about how I may be wrong, and if I am I am willing to accept that and move toward change.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son

Last edited by Maritime Q-Scout; 12-05-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #279
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
He's also the character on Television who gives the best customer service, I don't just mean on the Simpsons, can you name a TV or movie character who is better in the customer service industry than Apu? He knows his customers by name, he knows their orders, he effectively upsells without not only the customer realizing it, but as a viewer we don't even notice because he's so good at it.

Customer service my white middle aged ass

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #280
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Customer service my white middle aged ass

As the video alludes to, giving the customers what they want and doing it with a smile

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote