Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-18-2017, 09:39 AM   #41
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the same reason Stannis didn't wear a helmet during the Battle of the Blackwater though. They don't want to obscure the faces. That is the sort of "movie logic" that I can tolerate because of the nature of the medium.

But yeah, the dragon timeline thing was way off.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #42
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
okay so loved the episode, but can we address one thing? Gendry ran back to Eastwatch. Sent a raven to dragonstone, Dany read the message, fuelled up the dragons and flew back in 1 day/night? I've been a big defender of the writers speeding up the show, but that was a little crazy....how much distance is that?
I don't think it had to be 1 day, but they didn't really address this well

They have the ability to make fire and stay warm. They have ice/water to drink. They could have been standing there for several days waiting.

It wasn't well communicated how much time passed. We know the lake frozen, and Priest died, but that could be over a week.

Also, does anyone know the actual distance in locations in miles, etc and we can figure out how long it would take a Raven to make the treck one way!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #43
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

someone on reddit estimated it's about 1900 miles based on this world map (I didn't look closely enough at it to see if there were spoilers in the image)

http://www.sermountaingoat.co.uk/map...canon_only.jpg

then there's been discussions about maximum raven/dragon speed which could be anywhere from 25 to 50 mph. basically it's something that would have taken closer to a week than a day, but as with every other journey this season, they gotta wrap this sucker up. I bet Euron could have made the round trip in like a lunch hour.

just try to pretend like Westeros is no longer the size of South America as originally designed, and is instead more like the British Isles and it won't feel so weird.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:20 AM   #44
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay found some info on Pigeons! Let's assume Ravens fly the same speed!

In Great Britain distances of over 723 miles have been flown on the day, by pigeons flying home from Nantes in western France to Fraserburgh in Scotland. Released at 0600 hrs in the morning the birds have been timed in their lofts before 10.00 at night

So a Raven could make the trip in 3 days. Let's say a dragon can go at twice that speed with a Rider, They would have been stuck for ~ 5 days give or take.

They easily could have been sitting there waiting for 5 days. They just should have shown them at night for 30 seconds using the sword as heat and melting snow for water. Would have made way more sense.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #45
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #46
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Okay found some info on Pigeons! Let's assume Ravens fly the same speed!

In Great Britain distances of over 723 miles have been flown on the day, by pigeons flying home from Nantes in western France to Fraserburgh in Scotland. Released at 0600 hrs in the morning the birds have been timed in their lofts before 10.00 at night

So a Raven could make the trip in 3 days. Let's say a dragon can go at twice that speed with a Rider, They would have been stuck for ~ 5 days give or take.

They easily could have been sitting there waiting for 5 days. They just should have shown them at night for 30 seconds using the sword as heat and melting snow for water. Would have made way more sense.
It actually would take at least several days for a lake that to freeze over to the point an army could walk on it.

The solution to the whole scene would have been to show several days passing for the group, have them struggling to stay warm, run out of food, etc...That would have actually been kind of neat.

Let's be honest though, the whole send your most important characters to bring back a zombie plot is pretty ridiculous. It was clearly just a plot device to create a confrontation with the NK and have a badass group of guys together. I actually found their banter in the beginning of the episode to be extremely entertaining, despite the fact that the makeup of the group is very bizarre for a mission like that. The King of the North (should Jon really be doing that at this time?), the former leader of the wildlings, a bunch of guys they picked up in prison (Hound and his entourage), and Gendry for some reason, who Jon just met and might be the heir to the Iron Throne. Badass but non-logical.

Seems like a mission more suited for a group of professional trackers. Also...horses, why don't they have horses? Benjen has been riding one for years there, so horses can survive there for a couple days.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #47
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

this sequence of posts in the show thread (starting from a month ago) now annoys me. this is also HBO's fault because they're perpetually leakier than the Titanic, but I hope this is the last of such "speculation".

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9981 View Post
Just going off everyone elses comments and the amount of foreshadowing we have seen so far, I am drawing a bold conclusion which IMO makes sense.

Jon leads a group beyond the wall (this is clear from the trailer) things go south and they are out numbered, Dany flies in to save the day (she has the confidence based on last episode) the Night's King throws an ice spear right into one her dragons (based on someone's previous comments in this thread Viserion makes the most sense) dragon falls and collapses to the ground and is swarmed by wights, the episode ends with the Night's King reanimating Viserion and now at this point the wall comes down and anything goes.
Quote:
The biggest concern for me is if just one dragon can destroy a Lannister fleet, what happens when three dragons attack wights, it will be over in seconds so either we are headed for the most anti-climatic war that has brewed over 7 seasons or the WW surprise everyone with their own weapon (I am almost convinced after this episode there will be some sort of ice dragon, lion, magical ice creature to make it an equal playing field). Honestly wouldn't be surprised if the spear to Drogon was foreshadowing to show the dragons can be injured and killed.
Quote:
The more I think about it now, its hard not to think the Nights King gets his hands on an ice dragon or something equivalent. The show producers are known to put some sort of significance in each scene and the close up shot of the Giant makes me think there is some serious foreshadowing.

Just think about, right now we have three flame breathing dragons which can kill all the wights in one go (their only weakness is fire) and there is no way that entire massive dead army which has been accumulating over 7 seasons dies that quick. Ice dragon creates an equal playing field.

Its also obvious Jon leads a group beyond the wall so whats not to say they quickly get outnumbered only to have Daenerys attempt to save the day and burn all the wights only to have the Nights King kill and resurrect a dragon as his own. It would set for an uncertain war with no side having a clear advantage.......or maybe I am just thinking too deep and really want to see an ice dragon.
Quote:
Did anyone else pick up on some potential foreshadowing. The scene with the dead army and the Wights, the shot of the giant makes me wonder if the Nights King can resurrect anything, perhaps direwolfs and dragons as well?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 12:21 PM   #48
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Should get banned from CP for crap like that
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 12:25 PM   #49
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

That's pretty obnoxious...

Fortunately it was pretty obvious what was going to happen in that episode, so didn't take anything away from the viewing experience. He should know better though.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #50
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speculating that a dragon dies after seeing Qyburn's weapon is fair. I mean that's Chekhov's gun. Speculating that a dragon can be reanimated after seeing dead horses and giants, again makes sense. I don't think it was a big leap to speculate that was a possibility (I suggested as much, and I've reported spoilers numerous times back when there was the potential for book spoilers).

But thinking the Night King is going to throw an ice spear to take one down? Come on dude.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #51
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's the trying to play it off as "foreshadowing" and spinning it as a ballsy theory they came up with that annoys me. Trying to come across as having the gift of foresight, when in reality they were just on the "free folks" reddit page and read through leaked scripts.

You know what, I read through that stuff last year. And a lot of it happened to be accurate. So I now regret even peaking at it... and sincerely hope they can keep the final season concealed better than S7. But I didn't need to go throwing out details of what I read when I knew full well that there was a good chance that those 'leaks' were true. You'd have to be sorely in need of an ego boost to do that.

I'm really thankful I have no idea what the finale holds for us. And I don't believe anything beyond the dragon stuff was on reddit so I don't think we'll have to fear any "theories" for epsiode 7. As long as the episode doesn't leak half a week before, that is.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #52
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a warning that season 8 stuff is actually out there now in much the same manner that season 7 stuff was out last year. Just be careful if you don't want to know how things shake out.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #53
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aren't there also rumours that the next two books might come out in the next year, potentially before the TV series wraps up? That would make a lot of sense if you're GRRM and want to sell as many books as possible. Maybe the motivation to finally finish writing stuff.

Anyways, the post in the other thread about the Night King's ice spear attack is quite annoying, but I haven't found myself affected by script leaks otherwise so even if season 8 scripts are out they hopefully won't get far beyond those pockets of the net where people specifically go to find and discuss them.

In general, the CP community has been really excellent about not spoiling episodes.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #54
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Aren't there also rumours that the next two books might come out in the next year, potentially before the TV series wraps up? That would make a lot of sense if you're GRRM and want to sell as many books as possible. Maybe the motivation to finally finish writing stuff.

Anyways, the post in the other thread about the Night King's ice spear attack is quite annoying, but I haven't found myself affected by script leaks otherwise so even if season 8 scripts are out they hopefully won't get far beyond those pockets of the net where people specifically go to find and discuss them.

In general, the CP community has been really excellent about not spoiling episodes.

I found out about the WW dragon via YouTube titles. That was pretty annoying. Some spoiling seems unavoidable.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #55
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think there will be several heart attacks around the world if GRRM actually finishes another book in this series.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #56
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah don't get too excited.

One book is supposed to be Winds of Winter, the 6th book in the Song of Ice and Fire, which he has been supposedly writing since 2012.

The other book is Fire and Blood, which will be a book focused on the history of the Targaryen Dynasty and won't have any plot for Song of Ice and Fire.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #57
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:17 PM   #58
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I figured at some point a dragon was getting necro'd, but yeah, the specificity of that "speculation" makes it hilariously obvious that he read leaked scripts.

Congratulations to that guy I guess, he got to feel clever for a couple days.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #59
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Speculating that a dragon dies after seeing Qyburn's weapon is fair. I mean that's Chekhov's gun. Speculating that a dragon can be reanimated after seeing dead horses and giants, again makes sense. I don't think it was a big leap to speculate that was a possibility (I suggested as much, and I've reported spoilers numerous times back when there was the potential for book spoilers).

But thinking the Night King is going to throw an ice spear to take one down? Come on dude.
I'm all for reporting Steve9981's post

Garbage like that shouldnt happen in a thread where it specifically said not to share spoilers.
This jackass went ahead and did it anyways
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:26 PM   #60
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I figured at some point a dragon was getting necro'd, but yeah, the specificity of that "speculation" makes it hilariously obvious that he read leaked scripts.

Congratulations to that guy I guess, he got to feel clever for a couple days.
Naw he was called out immediately.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: