Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:00 AM   #81
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Probably because of the split his comments are out of context.
Going by past experience of Fanin80's edits, my vote is definitely 'foot in mouth disease'.

I'm just sorry I missed these original posts, certainly entertaining and probably embarrassing.

Last edited by Vulcan; 07-16-2010 at 02:02 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #82
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastiche View Post
Not to mention that Microsoft is one of the most profitable companies in the world. Which really begs the question of why their stock is so high. Are most people betting that they will monopolize mobile computing with iPhone? I don't see it. The competition is way too intense to be going up against both rival handset makers and software developers.
It's because of growth. MS stock isn't attractive because it's hard to grow from 90+% of the market to 100%. Even if it did, it's a maximum 10% growth within the market. Their stock price doesn't fluctuate much at all, just look at their 5 year chart. They do pay a dividend that's about 0.45% every quarter.

AAPL has lots of growth potential, they own like what? 10% of the desktop market? if that? Even if they only grow to 15-20%, that's still a 50-100% increase. They still have room to grow in their other segments such as cell phones, laptops, OS and basically revived/created a segment with the iPad.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #83
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

What an Apple guy:
Old 07-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #84
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Apple failed retrofuturism.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #85
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yads For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #86
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Apple failed retrofuturism.
I’m not defending Apple, because its pretty clear they had no idea what was coming in the next 10 years, but I will point out that nobody did. You should read The Road Ahead by Bill Gates - it’s staggering how many things he got wrong or misjudged or failed to anticipate as well.

It makes you wonder if many of us could do any better with identifying trends for the next 10-15 years of computing and technology, and if so, capitalize on that investment wise. I’m guessing probably not, unfortunately

Regardless of your choice of poison in the technology space, Mac or PC, or Other, the last couple decades and the present time are fantastic times to be a fan of technology - the pace of change and innovation is pretty incredible when you sit back and look at the big picture.

Last edited by sclitheroe; 07-25-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #87
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Nope, otherwise we'd all be head of facebook/digg/twitter/whatever.

You have a bunch of companies out there doing a bunch of different stuff, and something sticks and retroactively they're heralded as geniuses.

In the case of Apple they don't do anything new, they just do it well and let people do what they want to do with minimal fuss (as long as what they want to do is what Apple lets them do anyway, but for 90% of people that's perfect).
Old 07-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #88
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Nope, otherwise we'd all be head of facebook/digg/twitter/whatever.

You have a bunch of companies out there doing a bunch of different stuff, and something sticks and retroactively they're heralded as geniuses.

In the case of Apple they don't do anything new, they just do it well and let people do what they want to do with minimal fuss (as long as what they want to do is what Apple lets them do anyway, but for 90% of people that's perfect).
That 10% left over sure is loud though.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #89
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah, the old 80/20 problem.. 20% of your customers will cause 80% of your work, etc.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #90
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
I’m not defending Apple, because its pretty clear they had no idea what was coming in the next 10 years, but I will point out that nobody did. You should read The Road Ahead by Bill Gates - it’s staggering how many things he got wrong or misjudged or failed to anticipate as well.

It makes you wonder if many of us could do any better with identifying trends for the next 10-15 years of computing and technology, and if so, capitalize on that investment wise. I’m guessing probably not, unfortunately

Regardless of your choice of poison in the technology space, Mac or PC, or Other, the last couple decades and the present time are fantastic times to be a fan of technology - the pace of change and innovation is pretty incredible when you sit back and look at the big picture.
That wasn't intended as a slag against Apple, I just find that video incredibly entertaining. It could be posted in the funny videos thread. I love futurism because it's always great to see what people in the past predicted life would be like in our present day but in this case, it seemed a case of a company patting itself on the back overzealously. Normally you don't see company videos bragging about how the next 10 years would bring nothing but glory and success. In reality, it was interesting how the timeframe they predicted in reality actually resulted in the near bankruptcy of Apple but now it's gone full circle and their predictions were just 15-20 years off.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 07-25-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:19 PM   #91
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That wasn't intended as a slag against Apple, I just find that video incredibly entertaining. It could be posted in the funny videos thread. I love futurism because it's always great to see what people in the past predicted life would be like in our present day but in this case, it seemed a case of a company patting itself on the back overzealously. Normally you don't see company videos bragging about how the next 10 years would bring nothing but glory and success. In reality, it was interesting how the timeframe they predicted in reality actually resulted in the near bankruptcy of Apple but now it's gone full circle and their predictions were just 15-20 years off.
Oh yeah, the juxtaposition between the hubris in the video and what actually transpired is amazing. Makes you wonder if it could happen again....I’m sure it could.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #92
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

'iPad Owners Are ‘Selfish Elites.’

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/...ks-says-study/
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #93
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I find the lack of flash support on a device whose primary function is to browse the internet baffling. I understand why on a mobile device you may not want to have, but to have such an ideological bent on the matter is incomprehensible to me.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #94
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
'iPad Owners Are ‘Selfish Elites.’

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/...ks-says-study/
From the article:

Quote:
The firm’s conclusion was that iPad owners tend to be wealthy, sophisticated, highly educated and disproportionately interested in business and finance, while they scored terribly in the areas of altruism and kindness. In other words, “selfish elites.”
Wealthy: Ha!
Sophisticated: *farts*
Highly Educated: I have a degree that doesn't matter ... does that count?
Interested in business and finance: I may glance at the business section if it's between me and the comics.
Altruism: When I'm not on the internet I like to think I'm altruistic.
Kindness: Depends how fast you're going in the $*%&%(^ left lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yads View Post
I find the lack of flash support on a device whose primary function is to browse the internet baffling. I understand why on a mobile device you may not want to have, but to have such an ideological bent on the matter is incomprehensible to me.
This is almost a non-issue. There are certain sites that I'd love to visit on my iPad that I can't, but I can't think of more than 2 or 3 (off the top of my head Mint.com is all I can come up with, and that's just the graphs). What many people forget is that any company that is forward thinking has a non-flash alternative that pops up if you're using a mobile device. You may think Flash is everywhere when you're using a browser on your PC, but on an iPad it's rare to ever hit a roadblock (of course it depends on your web habits).

Many sites I frequent such as Vimeo and Gametrailers feature heavy use of flash video, but both are 100% viewable on an iPad.

Last edited by Russic; 07-28-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #95
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Grooveshark does not work on the iPad. That's a pretty big one for me.

In addition, flash is a tool for web developers, why wage such an ideological war on such a ubiquitous tool?

Last edited by yads; 07-28-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #96
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

This is how progress works. You leave old thing behind and move on. If web developers still supported Netscape 1, then lazy people would still be using it and we wouldn't have 75% of the sites we use today.

Apple was the first to dump the floppy drive, and people called them crazy.
Apple was the first to dump the CD/DVD drive, and people called them crazy.
Apple was the first to dump Flash, and people are calling them crazy.

Something tells me they know what they're doing.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #97
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Of course, YOU would think they know what they're doing.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #98
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
This is how progress works. You leave old thing behind and move on. If web developers still supported Netscape 1, then lazy people would still be using it and we wouldn't have 75% of the sites we use today.

Apple was the first to dump the floppy drive, and people called them crazy.
Apple was the first to dump the CD/DVD drive, and people called them crazy.
Apple was the first to dump Flash, and people are calling them crazy.

Something tells me they know what they're doing.
Except the difference is that new browsers have added things since Netscape 1, not removed them.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #99
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Of course, YOU would think they know what they're doing.
Incoming Fandroid comment in 3, 2, 1.....
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Old 07-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #100
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yads View Post
Except the difference is that new browsers have added things since Netscape 1, not removed them.
You mean, like HTML5?
Closed Thread