Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default XBOX 360S hard drive transfer help

Hey guys,

Just picked up a new Xbox 360 S (small black one) with a good redflagdeals trick and am now in the process of getting started up.

I believe they use a new type of harddrive, so I am wondering how many things I will need to do in order to have this situation:

New xbox working with my online account and having all my old saves/games trasnfered onto it. It will become my main machine for purchased and online games.

Old xbox that got replaced to be modded for single player games that I'd like to try offline before deciding on purchases (I've done it on my older one that needed warrunty repair and ended up being replaced). As well as I would like it to retain my online account just incase, and keep the data that is on it still.

Is it as simple as buying/borrowing a data transfer cable? or do I need to do extra work to get my preexisting account synced up on new box?
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What's the size of the harddrive on your 360S? 250GB or 4GB?

If I'm not mistaken, the 250GB version ought to come with a hard drive transfer cable whereas the 4GB model will not.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

You need to do a couple of things. First, move your games, saves, accounts and whatever you need to your new xbox. You can use a transfer cable, which you can buy now, or just use a usb drive. If your firmware on your old box is up to date, you can use up to a 16gb usb drive (flash, or a spinning external hd,) just make sure nothing you need is on the drives, as your xbox will wipe and reformat it once you begin the "configure new device" process. Then from the settings>memory menu, copy to the external drive then copy to the new hard drive. If you don't have too much DLC or Arcade games, this should be quick. If you have a lot of stuff, consider that it might be quicker just to re-download on your new xbox sometimes. That's up to you.

The second step is to tranfer your licences to your new xbox, using this web site:
http://www.xbox.com/en-us/support/sy...ensemigration/
that way anything you've purchased can be used by any gamer on your new xbox, and not just when the account that purchased them is logged in. All you need is your new xbox's Serial number. For some reason, you can only do this once per year though.

Last edited by NiklasSundblad; 08-03-2010 at 12:50 PM.
NiklasSundblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

thanks for the replies, the 250gb did not come with a cable.

Sundblad, is there any way around avoiding my old system reformatting?
Old 08-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

sorry... to clarify, it will reformat your EXTERNAL device for use on the xbox, not your old xbox itself. Depending on what you need to move over, (most likely game saves and xbox profiles) you won't need a very large device, a 4gb USB thumb drive will suffice. I'm just saying if you have an external hard drive or a thumb drive, and you use that to transfer your stuff, that drive is going to be wiped first by the xbox, so make sure there isn't important stuff you were storing on it before you begin.

Honestly, if you've downloaded a ton of stuff, i would do the licence tranfer, then go to your download history on xbox.com, put all that stuff in your download cue and just let it re-download that stuff overnight. transferring large files to usb, then onto your new xbox is going to take forever with a usb drive if it's a lot of stuff.

The thing is, your xbox content can only exist in one place at a time, if that's what you're asking, either on one hard drive, or on a usb drive.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiklasSundblad View Post
The thing is, your xbox content can only exist in one place at a time, if that's what you're asking, either on one hard drive, or on a usb drive.
That was the info I was looking for.

I am trying to find uses for my old xbox360 now. I guess I can just play with an offline account
Old 08-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

^^Well, if you're modding it you kind of have to keep it offline. My xbox's 3 year warrenty finally expired, so I'm moving it to a second tv and utilizing it's media streaming capabilities quite a bit. That is one of my favourite things about the xbox, especially if you have windows 7.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alright Thanks for all the info.

I have played alot of modded games online as well, you just have to run some tests.

If I find a game repeatable I do support the company and buy it (so far the COD, NHL, Red Dead, GTA, BioShock series).