Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #3141
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I actually think that no public news is good news. That probably means the wheels are turning behind the scenes.
We've thought that for years...actually pretty close to a decade I think. And what did it get us? A CalgaryNEXT Proposal that looked like it was drawn up on MS Paint and someone's first day with PowerPoint.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #3142
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Really glad this got bumped

Looking forward to the snide polar remarks from both sides ... sigh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 10:57 AM   #3143
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Stuff it, paste eating troll!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 11:04 AM   #3144
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Hey, dont get me wrong, I'm as shocked about it as anyone else. CSEC has always been tight-lipped but Professional and it would take a lot to change my take on that but we've seen it.

I have no idea what they're doing, but to me the logical step would be to engage a firm with experience in the construction of arenas and negotiations with the local council, give them your specifications and desires and then remove yourselves.

It seems to me that big egos on both sides seem to be the major obstacle at the moment.

CSEC is in the Sports Entertainment industry, not the arena building industry and at the moment its showing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #3145
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with doing anything publicly right now is that it's so close to the election that Council is likely to kick it down the street for the next Council to deal with and the Flames likely don't want this to become a big issue during the campaign.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #3146
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Do you think for a second that the NHL BOG is going to approve a move to relocate Calgary, a top 10-15 revenue generating team and a Canadian Dollar that is probably going to climb higher in the next few years, when you have bottom 30 franchises like Carolina or the Islanders who would jump at the chance to relocate to Seattle?

The NHL likes money and moving a team like Calgary would be very contrary to that philosophy, arena or not.
I thought the Flames received money from revenue sharing last season. The longer they go without a new arena the worse financially they will become. Plus it's probably no more than 50/50 that the CDN dollar will climb higher the next few years. Nobody really knows.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:46 AM   #3147
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
We've thought that for years...actually pretty close to a decade I think. And what did it get us? A CalgaryNEXT Proposal that looked like it was drawn up on MS Paint and someone's first day with PowerPoint.
While we haven't publicly seen any of the work being done, I kind of get the impression that there's been more tangible progress made in terms of getting an arena since this thing has gone public , than there was the previous half decade of the Flames "working behind the scenes". Even with the public sniping, I think the City (and especially CMLC, ie someone with actual development experience) being involved has been a positive to actually getting something done.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #3148
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have heard rumblings that the CMLC and Stampede are scheduled meet in late September to start hashing out the details of the land swap.

Mods feel free to PM to verify my source.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #3149
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably a good place to mention this (and please forgive the soft plug): I've put together a questionnaire for the mayoral candidates and sent it to the campaigns, with the goal of having a piece comparing the stances of the eight campaigns on the arena issue for FlamesNation. We'll see if everyone gets back to us, or even has a nuanced stance.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #3150
Dr. Pepper
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Icon48 Calgary Arena gets a mention in article about Seattle options

http://deadspin.com/want-to-avoid-ge...o-s-1800657108
Old 09-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #3151
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper View Post
Interesting story. I read the article top to bottom and found the following statement a bit odd.

Quote:
In coming weeks, the city council is set to decide between two plans for new or refurbished arenas, both of which would involve some public money, but in either case far, far less than the 75 percent that is typical of modern sports facility deals.Whatever happens, Seattle is not going to get royally hosed, and as things go these days, that’s a not insignificant accomplishment.
Are they planning on going ahead with a new or refurbished arena without a tenant? If that's the case how does that happen without significant public money?
Old 09-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #3152
rage2
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Are they planning on going ahead with a new or refurbished arena without a tenant? If that's the case how does that happen without significant public money?
Both groups have deep ties to the NHL, so it won't be without a tenant for long. Hopefully, it won't be at our expense.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #3153
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Probably a good place to mention this (and please forgive the soft plug): I've put together a questionnaire for the mayoral candidates and sent it to the campaigns, with the goal of having a piece comparing the stances of the eight campaigns on the arena issue for FlamesNation. We'll see if everyone gets back to us, or even has a nuanced stance.
Probably should have sent it to council candidates as well...

Ward 11 (Where I live... don't care to find out the position of the Wards where I can't vote):

Linda Johnson (Per Twitter)
Looking forward to having a conversation about a new arena. I'm more comfortable with a land use transfer, rather than public funds. If tax payers are going to saddle a portion of the investment risk, they need to be directly exposed to the upside.I'll have a more detailed explanation of my stance on my web site in the near future.

Robert Dickinson (Per Reddit)
When it comes to public dollars (taxes, other city revenue), I believe that investment of public dollars should provide public benefit. We need to see a return on the investment in some way. At this stage without being privy to the discussions and options before Council related to funding methods, land needs or other topics it is challenging to have a really detailed position on investing into an arena. I think the Flames are good for our City and a new space is needed, but the deal needs to make sense for the City as a whole.
I feel that the arena in Victoria Park, logistically makes the most sense and investing in that area would stimulate growth and provide economic benefits to businesses beyond just the Flames. I struggle with the idea of providing direct funding to sports teams, as I don't feel that in most situations public dollars should subsidize private business. That said, when you look at the big picture,the Flames provide value to our community. I think our city is better off having them as part of it. How they are supported is the big question and I would be more inclined, with limited information before me, to support them with a land deal that ultimately benefits growth in the Victoria Park area. Again, I need to have a better idea of what the Flames organization is looking for in terms of assistance, and then would need to determine if there is a good business case to support that. I think there is potential, if we make the right deal, to have a great new facility and revitalize an area which would benefit residents, local businesses and tourism.

Last edited by Parallex; 09-07-2017 at 01:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #3154
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Interesting story. I read the article top to bottom and found the following statement a bit odd.

I think the proposal is from a private firm/owner who would then seek to bring a NBA team to Seattle.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:24 PM   #3155
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Does anybody think we hear anything about arena negotiations this Monday at the last city council before the election or are we now into post election territory?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2017, 11:57 PM   #3156
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
Does anybody think we hear anything about arena negotiations this Monday at the last city council before the election or are we now into post election territory?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Not necessarily related to Monday's meeting, but I bet we see things heat up very soon.

Last edited by Bunk; 09-10-2017 at 12:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunk For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 03:57 AM   #3157
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's something I noticed at the Garth Brooks concert (not my photo, I found it on Twitter)...

Spoiler!

None of the lighting/speakers/video screens were attached to the building itself. Everything was hanging under this large rigging setup around the stage. There were four large metal poles at the corners of the stage with a huge lighting grid between them up top.

As far as I can tell, this setup hasn't been used in other buildings where Garth has played on this tour (here's a photo of the stage in Edmonton: http://thebexfactor-28b0.kxcdn.com/w...tput_5d5e.jpeg), nor has it been used for any previous concerts at the Dome.

I wonder if this was a one-off setup just for the Garth shows, or if this is a longer term solution for the roof-load problem that caused them to cancel that concert earlier this year?
Old 09-10-2017, 08:58 AM   #3158
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the concert Garth made a comment amount needing to get the hangers designed and that was why it took him longer to get here.

Not sure who would own it but if it isn't something that is used elsewhere it would be a useful piece of kit for the saddledome to own.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #3159
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
At the concert Garth made a comment amount needing to get the hangers designed and that was why it took him longer to get here.

Not sure who would own it but if it isn't something that is used elsewhere it would be a useful piece of kit for the saddledome to own.
It could also be Garth's new outdoor stage apparatus.
GGG
Old 09-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #3160
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
It could also be Garth's new outdoor stage apparatus.
That's what I thought at first, but the only outdoor shows he's played on this tour were at Yankee Stadium and he had a completely different stage setup there.

Spoiler!