Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #3061
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

A new stadium is a more pressing issue, and council have not been showing any leadership on this front. If they think private money is going to get that done they're living in the bizarro world.

If the City is so intent on splitting these projects (which, to quote our esteemed Mayor, is "dumb"), I'd prefer they let the Flames finance the new arena privately and dedicate public dollars to a stadium project.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #3062
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
A new stadium is a more pressing issue, and council have not been showing any leadership on this front. If they think private money is going to get that done they're living in the bizarro world.
IMO, leadership is NOT spending 250 - 300 million on a facility that is used a dozen times a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
If the City is so intent on splitting these projects (which, to quote our esteemed Mayor, is "dumb"), I'd prefer they let the Flames finance the new arena privately and dedicate public dollars to a stadium project.
If the Flames build the arena with their own money (no ticket tax), I'd go along with this.

What is it about sports fans, especially young male sports fans? It seems like they always want the newest, shiniest toy regardless of the economics.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #3063
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
IMO, leadership is NOT spending 250 - 300 million on a facility that is used a dozen times a year.
It's going to happen regardless, it City Council / administration had any long term vision they would budget for a stadium replacement as a major capital expense every 50 years or so. Unfortunately planning rarely extends beyond the next election cycle.

And part of a new stadium is driving utilization up beyond a dozen nights a year. It would obviously be foolish to build a new building if it continues to host a handful of events, but BC Place hosts upwards of 200 events per year. I don't care if this is accomplished through the integration of a fieldhouse or convention space but it should be a key consideration.

Quote:
If the Flames build the arena with their own money (no ticket tax), I'd go along with this.

What is it about sports fans, especially young male sports fans? It seems like they always want the newest, shiniest toy regardless of the economics.
There needs to be a ticket levy, $450 million gets you a new arena, $250 doesn't.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:48 PM   #3064
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Ryan Pike @RyanNPike
The mayor (@nenshi) had a few quick updates on the #Flames arena saga during his media avail earlier today. In short: they're working on it.

Based on that quote from Nenshi, it doesn't sound like the Flames have presented a funding model as of yet to the city.

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-20-2017 at 06:54 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #3065
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I can agree with the first part even though I think a stadium is important for the city. Not being able to host some of the Womens World Cup of soccer games or other big outdoor events is disappointing IMO.

But what is wrong with a ticket tax/ ticket levy. If they want to pass the cost along to the people actually using the stadium and buying tickets then I don't have much of an issue with that.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:38 PM   #3066
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Garh Brooks!!!
Old 07-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #3067
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Garh Brooks!!!
Is he in some way related to Jarmoe Iginla?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #3068
Rickbo
Draft Pick

Screw Nemshi I hope he is unemployed come October.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rickbo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 10:00 PM   #3069
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Praise Nenshi I hope he is re-elected come October.

Ahh balance...

Old 07-20-2017, 10:04 PM   #3070
Rickbo
Draft Pick

The only mayor in Calgary history to raise property taxes every year they are in office. Bye bye.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #3071
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Is he in some way related to Jarmoe Iginla?
Little known fact. Jarome was the drummer for Chris Gaines's band.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #3072
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nenshi nails it square on the head.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:00 PM   #3073
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickbo View Post
The only mayor in Calgary history to raise property taxes every year they are in office. Bye bye.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:41 AM   #3074
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Screw Nemshi I hope he is unemployed come October.

This statement makes no sense in context of Nenshi's comments on the arena. He says he wants one, but doesn't want to hugely subsidize it.

For someone who complains about property taxes raising.. where would that subsidy funding come from?
Old 07-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #3075
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Mayor doesn't set the budget, Council does. And Nenshi only has one vote.

Want to make a change? Start with your Councillor. I bet you have Ward Sutherland or Sean Chu as your mighty representative for the masses.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:00 AM   #3076
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

my property taxes have gone up and down during Nenshi's tenure. This year they went way down.

Sounds like Rickbo got some bad luck. Also a hilariously odd comment since the mayor's stance on this is to avoid the taxpayer hit.

Bad post Rickbo, bad post.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:23 AM   #3077
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My property taxes remained pretty much exactly the same since Nenshi started. Maybe five bucks or so, but who cares.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #3078
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he is right the tax rate has gone up in the formula, it is just the assessment value of the home that is bouncing all over the place. At the end of the day you are right, it doesn't really amount to a ton.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #3079
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Ryan Pike @RyanNPike
The mayor (@nenshi) had a few quick updates on the #Flames arena saga during his media avail earlier today. In short: they're working on it.

Based on that quote from Nenshi, it doesn't sound like the Flames have presented a funding model as of yet to the city.
This type of stuff is terrible, quite talking about it and get it done.

As for the relocation quote, if that were to happen they would go to the States (i.e. Seattle) IMO.

Therefore the tax statement does not make sense.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #3080
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
My property taxes remained pretty much exactly the same since Nenshi started. Maybe five bucks or so, but who cares.
The only way that would be happening would be if the value of your house has been dropping year after year. Bad neighbourhood?

Closed Thread