Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #941
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just saw the episode, blows a hole in the theory that stannis will emerge to be the Night's King.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #942
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Just saw the episode, blows a hole in the theory that stannis will emerge to be the Night's King.
Not really. The Night's King could be a title handed down.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:51 PM   #943
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can someone explain to me the Stannis as the Night's King theory? I must have missed this. To my memory, the Night's King was some guy from a looooong time ago that banged a White Walker and ruled a keep along the wall.

How does Stannis get tossed into this? Thanks

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #944
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think the idea was he would be the "new" Night's King, i.e. the Night's King reborn, champion of the Great Other. Whereas Dany (probably) would be Azor Ahai reborn, champion of the Lord of Light.

But apparently the Night's King is still Bran Stark and he's just been chillin' (no pun intended) for a couple thou. No big.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 19Yzerman19 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2014, 07:03 AM   #945
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
No and Pod did not get sent off with Brianne either. This cuts down on the wandering about at least.
However in the books doesn't Pod meet up with Brianne in the country?

Also, Ser Pounce! Too bad it appears to be his only appearance.

I also thought with them doing the sewers things in Mereen that this episode was going to have Jorah "Ser Friendzone" get the boot. Wonder when they'll pull the trigger on that?

I kind of chuckled as I realized we are now apparently heading into territory where us book readers can now have things spoiled for us.

Oh well, onward and upward! The books will hopefully flesh a lot of those spoilers out in even greater detail and prose from GRRM.

Last edited by Bigtime; 05-01-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:36 PM   #946
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hadn't realized how many "sneak peek" chapters from Winds of Winter had been released.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/03/how...-winter-is-out
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #947
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
However in the books doesn't Pod meet up with Brianne in the country?
Yeah Pod was following her and she figured out after she saw him a few times and confronted him.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #948
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That daradon fellow in the other thread cracks me up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
She left with Rickon and Shaggydog to go to Last Hearth (or Blasted Earth? I never quite hear it correctly). Anyway, it's the seat of the Umbers, Stark bannermen. Greyjon Umber was shown a bit towards the end of season one as being one of Robb's advisors. In the war tent etc. They went there to keep Rickon as safe as possible in case he ends up being the last heir. Oh, and they haven't done anything with that storyline this year. The last we saw them was episode 9 last year I think.
lol sure, pal.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:07 AM   #949
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

So disappointed they already revealed who was behind Jon Arryn's death.

That whole sequence was my favourite WTF moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #950
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
So disappointed they already revealed who was behind Jon Arryn's death.

That whole sequence was my favourite WTF moment.

Yeah, that was my favourite part of the book...booooooom.. WHOAAAAAAAAA and out the sky door.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #951
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm, so what other big reveal can they do before she gets the boot out the door?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #952
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Hmm, so what other big reveal can they do before she gets the boot out the door?
I'm guessing that it's something about Baelish now being lord of the Vale, and Lysa figuring out he wants to marry Sansa to become lord of Winterfell. Disapprove of my plan beyotch? Out the door.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #953
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My guess is it is going to play out similar to the books, but with the reveal happening in the last episode, instead of just before her death.

Lysa will see Petyr kiss Sansa, and will try to toss her out the moon door. Petyr comes in and saves the day;

Petyr: My sweet silly jealous wife, I've only loved one woman, I promise you.
Lysa: Only one? Oh, Petyr, do you swear it? Only one?
Petyr: Only Cat.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #954
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thought it was interesting about the Lannisters being broke. No idea if GRRM is going that route, but seemed a bit of a plot hole since Littlefinger borrowed money from them for Ned's tourney.

But was I did feel was a book-spoiler was Tywin's hints at the Iron Bank - does this mean they become more important than so far hinted at?

Is Cersei's decision to put them off what ends the Lannisters?
Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #955
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Thought it was interesting about the Lannisters being broke. No idea if GRRM is going that route, but seemed a bit of a plot hole since Littlefinger borrowed money from them for Ned's tourney.

But was I did feel was a book-spoiler was Tywin's hints at the Iron Bank - does this mean they become more important than so far hinted at?

Is Cersei's decision to put them off what ends the Lannisters?
In the books Robb goes after the mines sending Tywin's main forces out west opening up King's Landing, or something like that.

But Kevan Lannister, shortly before meeting his end, mentions paying off the Crown Debt with Lannister gold as a last resort. Kevan seemed competent enough so they have to have a decent reserve considering how much debt the crown had accumulated. However, a war is pricey so it makes sense that the reserve is dwindling. A couple golden dragons for a tournament is peanuts compared to the cost of the war.

As for the Iron Bank, it seems huge in the books. They've flat out said that the bank has created and destroyed kings. "The Iron Bank will have it's dues." It's why Tycho (Iron Bank envoy) seeking out Stannis is such a game changer. Cersei's incompetence with dealing with the Iron Bank was a very nice ironic touch considering "The Lannister's always pay their debts."
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #956
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
In the books Robb goes after the mines sending Tywin's main forces out west opening up King's Landing, or something like that.

But Kevan Lannister, shortly before meeting his end, mentions paying off the Crown Debt with Lannister gold as a last resort. Kevan seemed competent enough so they have to have a decent reserve considering how much debt the crown had accumulated. However, a war is pricey so it makes sense that the reserve is dwindling. A couple golden dragons for a tournament is peanuts compared to the cost of the war.

As for the Iron Bank, it seems huge in the books. They've flat out said that the bank has created and destroyed kings. "The Iron Bank will have it's dues." It's why Tycho (Iron Bank envoy) seeking out Stannis is such a game changer. Cersei's incompetence with dealing with the Iron Bank was a very nice ironic touch considering "The Lannister's always pay their debts."
IIRC Robb's plan is to close down the mines but did he get to it? Don't recall and can't find the answer in wiki.

Ya no doubt Kevan would have managed it better but that's why Varys killed him. Cersei can get back to ruining things.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #957
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

djsFlames flat out spoiled that GRRM hasn't written Dany crossing the narrow sea yet in the other thread. Complete asshat move especially considering how sensitive they are to spoilers at this point
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #958
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Trying to police it though is a nightmare, most of the reported posts I either don't even see how they are spoilers (and I've read the books), or are over-reactions, etc.. so it's hard to judge. djsFlames's post is the rare case where it is pretty clear.

If people want zero possibility of spoilers, don't read about the show on the Internet.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #959
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Trying to police it though is a nightmare, most of the reported posts I either don't even see how they are spoilers (and I've read the books), or are over-reactions, etc.. so it's hard to judge. djsFlames's post is the rare case where it is pretty clear.

If people want zero possibility of spoilers, don't read about the show on the Internet.
I agree, but clear cut spoiler posts like his are just pure trolling at best
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #960
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now you know why I like to hang out in here even though I haven't read the books.

Seems like they are ultra-edgy when it comes to even the smallest spoiler. Like if someone posted that the dragon's grow (i assume they grow?), people would snap.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books , it is known , spoilers , winter is coming