Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2023, 10:27 AM   #3001
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Maybe I’ve just been playing more, but I largely just walk/run/climb around and have a ton of shrines and light roots activated. Though, like BOTW, my focus has really just been upping my hearts/stamina/battery. I stopped progressing the main story once I had the Purah Pad fully upgraded (i think it’s fully upgraded at least).

It’s kind of amazing how they took the same world from BOTW and made it feel 3-4x bigger.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 11:25 AM   #3002
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I've been doing more of the updating too though I find that at least two of the sages help with navigation. I just figured I'd want to fly more when mapping out the underworld though really it probably isn't necessary with rocket shields.

It's also kind of funny how the rewind ability seems to let you cheese a lot of shrines. Maybe not cheese, but certainly shortcut the intended solution. Sometimes I'll walk into a shrine and figure I was supposed to be here a long time ago when the solution is some basic game mechanic.

Though I always sigh a bit now when I walk into a shrine and I'm nekkid.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:41 AM   #3003
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah I've been doing more of the updating too though I find that at least two of the sages help with navigation. I just figured I'd want to fly more when mapping out the underworld though really it probably isn't necessary with rocket shields.

It's also kind of funny how the rewind ability seems to let you cheese a lot of shrines. Maybe not cheese, but certainly shortcut the intended solution. Sometimes I'll walk into a shrine and figure I was supposed to be here a long time ago when the solution is some basic game mechanic.

Though I always sigh a bit now when I walk into a shrine and I'm nekkid.
I have barely done any shrines yet as I find they're just not as fun as exploring the world, but the ones where you start off nekkid are the ones I always do. I think bringing that kind of thing in from the Trials of the Master Sword expansion material is a good improvement over the shrines to test your strength in botw, which become no test at all once you're far enough along in the game that you're bringing good weapons and armor into them.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:15 PM   #3004
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I have barely done any shrines yet as I find they're just not as fun as exploring the world, but the ones where you start off nekkid are the ones I always do.
Weird...I love the unique things the shrines have in them. They've taught me so many ways to use Ultrahand, Recall and Fuse to do crazy things.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:15 PM   #3005
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the shrines are awesome. Anytime I see one I beeline for it, and I haven't left one without completing it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:46 PM   #3006
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Weird...I love the unique things the shrines have in them. They've taught me so many ways to use Ultrahand, Recall and Fuse to do crazy things.
I'll spend time going back and doing all the shrines over the lifetime of playing the game. I just enjoy the exploration more, and I like playing with fewer hearts so that it's easier to die and fighting monsters is more of a challenge. I even ended up with just three hearts for a bunch of the game because I came across that statue that lets you swap hearts for stamina and stamina was more important to me. I have died a lot, but every victory over a big monster felt like a great victory.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:55 PM   #3007
photon

Exp:

Finally made it onto a dragon.. there's a 10 minute real time cooldown on getting dragon parts! Fortunately you can just ride them around and do something else (hang onto one of the spikes on the back), but still...

Getting the fairies all open so I can upgrade my armor now.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:16 PM   #3008
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Gloom Hands are the scariest enemy in the game. I finally killed one after about five tries.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 08:50 AM   #3009
photon

Exp:

Yeah the first time you realize that they are a lot faster than you and you can't outrun them is scary. I was fortunately in a cave and was able to climb up a ledge the first time.

Now I just unload bombs into their handfaces and that seems to work pretty well.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:33 AM   #3010
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

The combination of the skies changing, music changing and the sounds the gloom hands make...definitely made me freak out the first couple times I saw one.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 12:48 PM   #3011
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, gloom hands and gleeoks are the two best additions to the monsters imo.

For some reason, I can never seem to add gloom hands to my compendium. I get good pictures, but it doesn't seem to be recognized as a monster for the compendium. Phantom Ganon is no problem, but gloom hands don't work

Old 06-07-2023, 10:46 PM   #3012
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished the main story. Excellent final boss sequence and this time I managed my hearts better and self limited food supply to make the game less button mashy. At first I thought it felt too much the same but as I got in the upside down and the sky added so many cool interactions[

Spoiler!

Story spoiler
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:47 AM   #3013
photon

Exp:

One thing that I haven't really seen talked about is the balance that TotK strikes with its quests and how much they guide you.

Most open world games these days have super GPS that guides you exactly where you need to go, tell you what to do, etc.

In TotK often a quest marker will stay at the quest giver, and the text just gives you a general idea of what to do, but you have to talk to people and even read and remember what they say to be able to progress.

At first I was frustrated, I was so used to the game keeping exact track of what I needed to do, where I needed to go, and the quest record telling me in detail.. where in TotK I sometimes needed to go talk to someone again just to remember what they said.

But I'm coming to appreciate it more.. I rarely feel like I have no idea what to do, and the quests are all simple enough that they can get away with that. They could have easily put in a system that was more like current open world games. Not sure if it's intentional but it's interesting.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:17 PM   #3014
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Even old Zelda had a marker on where you needed to go, so I'd imagine that it's an intentional choice.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:40 PM   #3015
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

It hadn't struck me in playing through that they'd made a change like that, but I was conscious of having to go through more dialogue and needing to actually pay attention to the dialogue in this game. It was a touch annoying at times, but I kind of feel it encouraged me to approach side quests less as box ticking and pay a bit more attention to the stories they were telling.

On that topic, of all the side quests I've done so far, I thought the Yiga clan quests were the most fun. That was a great little story all on its own.

Old 06-13-2023, 10:32 PM   #3016
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nintendo games sale on right now. Any recommendations for good games for 4 and 7 year olds? I've heard Luigi's mansion is good one, but sadly not on sale. Is Super Mario Party any good on Switch?

And how about for adults? I'm looking at the Portal Companion Collection.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 11:23 PM   #3017
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Nintendo games sale on right now. Any recommendations for good games for 4 and 7 year olds? I've heard Luigi's mansion is good one, but sadly not on sale. Is Super Mario Party any good on Switch?

I would say Super Mario Party is a great family game.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2023, 05:45 AM   #3018
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post

If you haven’t played Portal or Portal 2, that collection is a no brainer at $12.50 and they did a great job with the ports. Heck even if you have played them, that’s worth it for a replay.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2023, 06:03 AM   #3019
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Even old Zelda had a marker on where you needed to go, so I'd imagine that it's an intentional choice.
Hey! Listen!
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 12:01 PM   #3020
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Hey! Listen!

I just smashed a controller instinctively upon reading that.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post: