Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2024, 06:10 AM   #19321
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
IMO, it's mostly not "Government of Canada project owner" to blame for how much this cost.

It is however, the fault of "Government of Canada, entity in charge of creating a legal and regulatory environment that makes progress possible".

There’s definitely that, also COVID, also some epic weather events, etc. I also imagine a bunch of subcontractors made an absolute killing on this. I mean how is it even possible to spend $30B on a project?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:37 AM   #19322
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
There’s definitely that, also COVID, also some epic weather events, etc. I also imagine a bunch of subcontractors made an absolute killing on this. I mean how is it even possible to spend $30B on a project?
This was building a pipeline but it wasn’t pipelining like anyone has seen in a long, long time. Pipelines are easy to build in open spaces and you essentially have a moving assembly line going down the right of way in a continuous stream, It can be highly productive and efficient. This was just congested, hard rock, with utilities all around you, highways, tie in after tie in. In other words, in normal conditions a nightmare to estimate and construct,

This was not normal conditions - strict conditions placed in it during approvals. As you stated, massive flooding cutting their row up even further, forest fires requiring other mitigation, COVID absolutely crushing them and this is what happens. The original estimate was probably grossly off, it was done by pipeliners not imaging the full scale of the complexity. Add in the rest and poof you have yet another massive project with a massive over run, and the pipeline industry has its fair share of those for lots of reasons that I could go on for hours about,
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 06:52 AM   #19323
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
This was building a pipeline but it wasn’t pipelining like anyone has seen in a long, long time. Pipelines are easy to build in open spaces and you essentially have a moving assembly line going down the right of way in a continuous stream, It can be highly productive and efficient. This was just congested, hard rock, with utilities all around you, highways, tie in after tie in. In other words, in normal conditions a nightmare to estimate and construct,

This was not normal conditions - strict conditions placed in it during approvals. As you stated, massive flooding cutting their row up even further, forest fires requiring other mitigation, COVID absolutely crushing them and this is what happens. The original estimate was probably grossly off, it was done by pipeliners not imaging the full scale of the complexity. Add in the rest and poof you have yet another massive project with a massive over run, and the pipeline industry has its fair share of those for lots of reasons that I could go on for hours about,

Pretty much a perfect storm!
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 09:12 AM   #19324
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Is this where we call Locke a racist?
I suppose its as good a place as any?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 09:41 AM   #19325
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maclean's write up "Naheed Nenshi Loves the Drama"

https://macleans.ca/politics/naheed-nenshi-ndp-alberta
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 10:47 AM   #19326
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Alberta Government brought in $16.1 million on its May 1, 2024 Crown land sale.

The largest bonus was $4.8 MM for 12.25 sections (3,136 hectares) of mineral rights south of Rocky Mountain House.
https://boereport.com/2024/05/03/may...tal-boe-intel/

Didn't even know this was happening. Crown land sold for mining north of Nordegg?
Old 05-03-2024, 11:03 AM   #19327
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Didn't even know this was happening. Crown land sold for mining north of Nordegg?
Did you post the right link because this doesn't mention anything about crown land sold north of Nordegg.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:04 AM   #19328
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Pretty large Duvernay play in the area. Not sure what you are confused about.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:27 AM   #19329
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This looks like subsurface rights for drilling. Normal land sale, nothing out of the ordinary from what I see.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:31 AM   #19330
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Do what Dani doth declares.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1786443037679464678
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 11:38 AM   #19331
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

AESO are the experts. Danielle doesn't listen to experts.

Quote:
“I told him to support the minister without reservation. Nothing good will happen if the minister feels that the [Alberta Electric System Operator] is not behind the decision.”

That sounds a lit like a threat, right? Lie about your support or you lose your job?

Quote:
“This speaks to direct, concerted interference — basically shopping for, or putting pressure on, agencies that are supposed to be independent and insisting that they produce something completely compatible with what the government has already planned,” she said.

“In other words, making the decision first and then putting pressure on experts to support the decision that they actually disagree with.”
Banana republic stuff.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 11:50 AM   #19332
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
This looks like subsurface rights for drilling. Normal land sale, nothing out of the ordinary from what I see.
Fair enough, I think that I confused Duvernay with another company. I've become very tired with the selling of parks and crown land, and this is just a continuation of divesting publicly owned land to private use.

North of Nordegg, south of Rocky Mountain house, east of Red Deer. Sold pretty cheap.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:53 AM   #19333
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, I think that I confused Duvernay with another company. I've become very tired with the selling of parks and crown land, and this is just a continuation of divesting publicly owned land to private use.

North of Nordegg, south of Rocky Mountain house, east of Red Deer. Sold pretty cheap.
These are subsurface rights, so it's quite a bit different. Land owners don't have subsurface rights, so the government manages sales of resource rights.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 12:13 PM   #19334
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
These are subsurface rights, so it's quite a bit different. Land owners don't have subsurface rights, so the government manages sales of resource rights.
Correct. And just to add a little more to this, those rights come with an expiry if not used and revert back to the Crown. If the land does end up producing oil/gas then Alberta will collect royalties on the production - the land sale is not necessarily the last $$$ we will receive for that property.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 12:36 PM   #19335
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Pretty large Duvernay play in the area. Not sure what you are confused about.
I haven't looked it up and without getting too nerdy the large land sales are outside the Duvernay fairway. This would be targeting Lower Cretaceous gas if I'm not mistaken.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote